“Disappointing”

Cuisines: European, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We were really looking forward to coming here and made a special trip from Norwich for it, so expectations were high. The atmosphere and decor in the cafe were a bit underwhelming; cheap Formica tables did not fit the image of stylish French patisserie and being nearly empty, no buzz of happy customers

As it was lunchtime I had the lasagne, but sadly it was inedible and had to go back, being burnt and hard baked all down one side. The waitress was very apologetic and I changed to a croque Monsieur which was very bland. My husband's eggs benedict included cold poached eggs with solid centres, which he ate because he was so hungry, but this is not good. Was this the chef's day off?

However, the main event did not disappoint - the cakes!
Absolutely scrummy - very difficult to choose which one to have as they all look so gorgeous. They are also huge so I defy anyone to eat more than one at a sitting. I believe that Patisserie Valerie is opening in Norwich, so I will go back for coffee and cake, but not for other food.

The Bury St E. branch should look out, as we were amazed how many cafes the town possesses, so lots of competition, plenty of good quality tea shops too.

Sorry for the mixed review but the "average" score sits between excellent (cake and coffe) and terrible (other food).

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Visited once so far for a late lunch. We had the traditional lasagne, and the eggs benedict, both of which were generous in portion size, and very tasty indeed. Service was attentive, and we weren't kept waiting for anything. Sorely tempted by the beautiful looking cakes, but decided to save them for next time! I think it's a lovely little place, and look forward to returning.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Visited Patisserie Valerie in Chester and Bury St Edmunds. Delighted to find the new one in our home town of Bury St Edmunds. Standards very high with pastries beyond your dreams. As an alternative to their pastries try the grilled ham and cheese stuffed croissants. Wonderful

Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

We visited here on a family day out and were enticed in by the cakes! The staff were very helpful pushing tables together and getting a high chair but the food let them down severely! I order a tuna pasta salad and it was the blandest meal I've ever ate but my husband had the tuna nicoise and wasnt happy either! Having said that the croissant was gorgeous and the toastie nice! Only one waitress working and looking very stressed I did feel for her however 30 quid on two salads and a toaster and a crossiant is very pricey! It's such a shame as the cakes are delicious and the Liverpool p.v is outstanding! However bury isn't great wont be visiting again unless for cake

Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Wish they hadn't opened as its killing my diet!! Amazing patisserie, the cakes are to die for and I'm ashamed to say I have tried most of them!! Eaten here for breakfast too, loads of choice from crossiants, scones, full English, pastries and good old fashioned eggs on toast :) Great cafe/restaurant and nice team too.