“dog treat and excellent service but needs some attention”

Best Western Priory Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 18 September 2013

A very accessible hotel set in wonderful grounds with almost holiday-like cottages (known as garden rooms) that accommodate well behaved dogs. Hotel facilities are good; breakfast OK but the service excellent and friendly. Easy walking access to Bury St Edmunds (expensive parking in the town).
The room was very good, clean and comfortable but the bathroom, although clean urgently needs an upgrade to meet modern standards.
Moderately priced and a few local hostelries in striking distance if you want a "night out". Car parking free, ample and close to rooms.

Room Tip: Get a garden room!

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights to unwind and explore the area. We had a spacious room in the Courtyard with a larger than average bathroom, the shower over the bath was powerful, the bed was enormous and everything was spotless. We reported a minor problem with a light fitting and by the time we returned to the room the maintenance man was already repairing it! Plenty of choice for breakfast, evening meals in the restaurant were delicious and reasonably priced and the hotel was well located for both car and bus trips to local attractions. Above all the staff at this hotel were the most pleasant, helpful and friendly that we have ever encountered, and nothing was too much trouble for any of them. Despite the proximity to the road we heard very little noise and enjoyed 3 good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Room 41 in the courtyard is spacious with a larger than average bathroom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My first reaction to the hotel when we arrived was not good. The entry into car park has been restricted & complicated by a Conference Centre extension which also includes a wing of motel type rooms. The route to reception from the car-park is along a back alley, so by the time I checked in I was expecting the worse! I was now seriously doubting whether I wanted to eat in despite the claims of various rosettes, but as The Priory is some distance by car, let alone by foot, from any other restaurant...and I wanted a drink, it was Hobson's choice.
A table was booked, but still on edge I was less than impressed by a whale like woman sprawled across a sofa in the bar area, and was now really keen to abort!
My partner insisted we give it a try so reluctantly we ordered pre-meal drinks, and from that point on, nothing more could have been done to please us. The young man behind the bar served us promptly, took our order and ushered us into the restaurant with the bottle of ordered wine following soon after. A most personable waitress served bread and brought iced water. Our chosen meals were excellent. Freshly prepared. Served on attractive crockery. & breakfast the next morning was A plus. The restaurant will benefit from a bit of design imagination, for example there was nothing to fill the emptiness of the inglenook fireplace which our table was in front of. Bedrooms average, bed linen and pillows good, wi-fi free and easy to access...would give it a second visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the motel wing. The rooms are reasonably spacious. There is a patio outside to use if t...
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We chose this hotel as it is a Best Western Dog friendly hotel, and the one we normally stay in was booked up. We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms, overlooking the lawn, which was ideal with our 2 dogs, it wasn't huge, even though I asked for a reasonable sized room, and it was very stuffy, even with the window wide open. Nice and clean, shower took ages to heat up, and not hugely powerful, but adequate. Food good, but would suggest daily specials, as menu could get a bit boring if you were staying a few days, starters - too many fishy ones, (limited if you don't like fish), but all cooked nicely, we did ask about Sunday lunch, but not served in the evening, but they did ask the chef if he would save us a roast dinner, and he very kindly said he would do us a roast chicken dinner in the evening, which was lovely, and very much appreciated, (think that would be a nice option on a Sunday evening). Breakfast was lovely, nice choice on buffet table, lovely fruit salad each morning, danish pastries etc, full english very nice, asked for beans with it, and got them no problem! Pancakes lovely, eggs benedict bit disappointing, bit slow one morning with tea and toast, but were very busy. Staff very friendly and helpful, especially the duty Manager (sorted roast dinner out), and reception desk. Carpets in main hotel need replacing, especially in dining rooms, quite threadbare in places - such a shame. But no doubt that is something on their list to do at some point. Lovely entertainment in the garden on Sunday lunchtime, (although we missed it), but everyone seemed to say it was good. We would stay there again, although a bit far away from where we wanted to visit, (family and friends).

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms comfortable, ideal if you have a dog, car park behind.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here when we lost our water supply at home.
the review is based on the chalet type rooms in the garden and not the rooms in the main hotel building.
Very hot!! No air con, we brought a large fan from home.
No fridge in the room, so couldn't keep any drinks cool.
Small room, for the two of us and our dog to share.
Shower had poor flow rate, so took ages.
Would have preferred smaller bed so more space in room. Think bed must have been the largest you can get.
Food in the restaurant good and reasonably priced.
Breakfasts good, but no buffet. Cooked to order.
We paid £89 for a Sunday room B&B, and £110 for week day.
I would recommend this hotel room for short stay only, you would soon get frustrated with lack of space, heat, and no fridge if you were there for more than a couple of days.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The reviews on this hotel were mixed, so I didn't know what to expect, but was very pleased. My husband and I were meeting up with another couple for a 'free' weekend break paid for by Tesco vouchers. We do this somewhere different every year.
I had rung the hotel as advised by their website to see which rooms we were in, so as to know which car park to use. The receptionist was lovely, and when I said I had slight mobility problems, she put us in room 12, very close to the main building, with our friends just round the corner. These were called Garden rooms, and were very nice. A good size and well-equipped. Plenty of tea/coffee/chocolate and biscuits, which were replenished the following day. The shower was not very powerful, but plenty of hot water every time we used it. Our friends said the power was good on their shower. I had read comments about hard beds and hard pillows, and was relieved to find neither were true. I was also worried that the position of our room might make it noisy, but I spent 2 comfortable and quiet nights. I am a poor sleeper, so these were particularly appreciated. Maybe the bad reviews about uncomfortable beds and thin walls applied to the Courtyard rooms?
The setting for the hotel is great. Very convenient for Bury St Edmunds and easy to find, with beautiful lawns to sit out on. We were lucky enough to return to the hotel on Sunday afternoon to find a local band performing and moved our bedroom chairs outside for a pleasant hour.
The only criticism I have, is about the breakfasts. I had eggs benedict the first day, and the ham wasn't great, the hollandaise was a bit salty and the quantity bit mean The second day i had pancakes, and these were good, with a generous serving of berry compote, which was really tart to contrast with the sweet maple syrup. Lovely. The cooked breakfasts weren't great though. A set plate of 1 sausage, 1 bacon rasher, black pudding, tomato, mushrooms and eggs. The second day there was no black pudding. My friends would have liked baked beans. The advantage over a self-service should be that everything was freshly cooked, but the scambled egg was watery and cold, so may have been left a while before being brought out. There was a lovely melon-based fruit salad on the second morning, which had obviously run out the day before. Maybe we were just unlucky, as other reviewers have said how good the breakfasts were.
Would I stay here again? Yes, definitely.

Room Tip: Garden rooms seem better than courtyard rooms. 12 is conveniently close to the main building and dis...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2013

At first I felt disappointed on arrival, as it didn't feel like I was staying in a hotel, more like staying in a glamping pod, maybe without the glam .

We were in one of the chalet type rooms away from the main hotel. It was quite hot and a little small . The showers were terrible with hardly any power and having long hair it was a nightmare when washing it . This really does need sorting out. The pillows were really hard and unfortunately I have suffered a stiff neck since coming home.
However, on a possitive note, it was spotlessly clean, which is most important to me. We stayed two nights and I found being able to open the door and sit outside in the sunshine and relax a real bonus.

We found the staff very efficient and friendly and the bar area where we had a few drinks one evening, had a really pleasant atmosphere. The breakfasts were lovely and I enjoyed the laid back feel to this hotel. There was an unhurried, calmness about it.

We paid £84.50 for a double room per night and we felt this was a little overpriced, compared to other hotels we have stayed in. Overall, I would have rated this good not average, had it allowed me.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#5 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Best Western Brome Grange Hotel

Been to Best Western Priory Hotel? Share your experiences!