“Fantastic Spa Day”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bury St Edmunds
Bannatyne Spa Hotel Bury St Edmunds
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Spa Day”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I booked over the phone after purchasing a voucher for Mothers Day via "Buy a gift.com" which included two course lunch, spa facilities for the day, and three 25 minute treatments. (fantastic website, great deals) for me and my mum for 11th March. No hassle at all when calling to book in and was sent confirmation via email.

I even got a courtesy call the day before our arrival which is quite rare!

We arrived a little late due to the weather conditions but once we sat inside we were given a key for our changing room and my mum enjoyed a coffee whilst we filled in our lunch pre-order. The staff member was fantastic who greeted us, a young gentleman who gave us a tour. There was dressing gowns and slippers, much to our surprise, in the locker as my confirmation said they weren't included.

It was busy, yes, but not exceptionally so, and we managed to use the facilities for a couple of hours before our first treatment. The therapists were lovely, each treatment was 25 minutes, no more, no less and we really felt pampered. The conservatory where we waited was really nice, heated floor too! The treatments went on clockwork, fantastic service and we weren't waiting for long at all, right on time. We also had double treatment rooms.

The lunch I also must mention, really good portions and the scones were really nice too. Staff again, were good. Everyone walking around in dressing gowns, didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

I really enjoyed Clarice House and would definitely go again, my mum keeps mentioning how fantastic it was. Surprised of the few negative reviews on here so thought I'd post about my experience.

Room Tip: Look for deals on the internet and on their own website
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

A beautiful building in a wonderful setting, so expectations are high. Step inside and it was very different.
I called 3 times to try and book an evening bliss, 1st time the spa had shut so I was asked to call back, the 2nd time the spa was busy I left my number for someone to call me back but the call never came, the 3rd time I rang I was told they were fully booked. I called the following day and was told they had vacancies. The staff seem disengaged and unhappy, we were told they were short staffed and that 4 people were off sick, after paying £80 for an evening I wasn't really interested in why it was poor I just wanted a nice spa break that I had paid for. There is no ownership taken by the employees, those that are working seem pressurised picking up the slack for those that are off. This was by far the worst spa experience I have ever had. The food menu has changed and the selection wasn't as good as before, when asked to swap the starter for a sweet we was told that wasn't possible. We were given a pre booked slot for dinner arrived on time and waited 20 minutes for the starter, the toilets were not in a very nice condition, when we mentioned it to reception they were already aware but nothing was done about it. We left at 10pm and they were still very bad. When you sit relaxing you can hear staff sharing their discontentment. Leadership seems lacking and team morale is low. I would not go back again after this experience not good value for money and I feel like I wasted £80

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank caroline r

Travellers are raving about these Bury St Edmunds hotels

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I had been given evening bliss vouchers as a gift so I decided to take my mum with me and wanted to get my auntie a voucher as well to come with us and was told via a phone call that it was fully booked, my auntie then phoned back five minutes later and was told then there was availability. I also had the same problem when wanting to book extra treatments for our evening bliss and was told there was no possibility of any another treatments, five minutes later I called back and was told there was availability, total lack of communication, very unprofessional. Putting this mishaps aside we were still looking forward to the evening bliss, on arrival was again let down by inexperienced staff and a overcrowded spa area. The beauty treatments that we all received was a full massage and all had to ask the therapist to be more gentle as the treatment seemed to rough for what we were expecting, not relaxing at all!!! The communication again was very poor as we were not shown where to go at all and we were very lost because of this, it really did seem like the staff didn't care about our experience at all. At the end of our evening bliss we had a two course dinner each, we had pre ordered our meal in advance earlier in the day to get our food quicker but still had to wait almost forty minutes for our starters, as well as seeing other tables receiving starters and mains before our starters, so much for quick service. The pre ordering system will only impress customers if the company can deliver on its promise which on this case it certainly didn't. The food in general was also very poor the menu lacked any real wow factor and for a company that I thought had a decent reputation for its food I felt very let down, burgers and fish and chips I thought this was a restaurant with class I was very much mistaken, I could get that sort of food from any pub down the road. Overall this experience left all of us feeling very let down and definitely not be returning in the future I have been to many decent establishments within the east Anglian area and this was definitely not one of them, clarice house you do really need to step up your game to keep up with the large amount of good competition that you have, ps the toilets were disgusting on arrival told the front desk and four hours later were still in the same horrible state they were in before!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Glitter246
Spalding, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2013

my sister and i went for a day spa with 2-4-1 package which was very good value and thoroughly enjoyed our day of pampering! it include 3 treatments each and lunch, though we didn't have time to use pool etc which is a shame another time maybe, would recommend this to anyone! would definately go again given the chance! well worth it!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We had a fantastic spa day. The food was of a very high standard as was the service. The beautician were knowledgable and made you feel at ease. Great location in beautiful surroundings. WILL be going back!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Mantie
Colchester, England
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My mum and I used a 2-4-1 voucher for a 2 night stay and our visit was lovely.
We needed to make a last minute amendment to our dates and the hotel was very helpful and managed to make the changes without any fuss or confusion.
The staff in the bar and restaurant area were exceptionally good in their attitude and service for the whole of our stay.
The food was plentiful and very tasty (definitely the highlight of my break) and the accommodation was comfortable in all areas of the hotel. As we had a superior room there was a small 'sitting area' which could have benefitted from a sofa rather than the two hard back chairs but other than that the room was brilliant.
The treatments we had were very relaxing, especially the facial, and the staff were friendly.
I used the gym and, for a brief break away, the equipment was good.
The main disappointment was the pool/spa facilities. The pool area was very good for one that is associated with a gym or health club but it wasn't very well set up for a relaxing spa break. The pool itself was quite cool and the jacuzzi was very small so it was always too full to go in. I felt that the pool facilities at the Colchester based Clarice House were superior to those in Bury.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Spent a 2 night spa break at Clarice House Fri - Sun on a 2 for 1 offer.

Meals - included in the price - evening meal on the Friday, breakfast, lunch and dinner on the Saturday, and breakfast and lunch on Sunday. Delicious food and a choice from the Spa menu or A la carte. Drinks were extra which were a bit pricey. 10% discount off of final bill if you are a member of Clarice House.

The food was delicious!

Free access to gym, classes and pool area with steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi. Blood pressure check before using gym/classes

Treatments - two treatments from fixed a list to take during the stay. option to upgrade treatments and you pay the difference.

Twin room en suite, with robes and slippers for duration of stay. Hairdryer, tea and coffee TV in room....very comfortable.

Staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly the restaurant staff and reception.

We arrived 3pm Fri and left at 6pm on the Sun...feeling very pampered and very well looked after.

Highly recommend this break and will be visiting again!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
#1 of 8 in Newmarket

Been to Bannatyne Spa Hotel Bury St Edmunds? Share your experiences!