“breast cancer”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bury St Edmunds
Bannatyne Spa Hotel Bury St Edmunds
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“breast cancer”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

my wife and daughter as a present went to have a spa day on monday 2nd sept
they had been less than a year ago and did not see the new cancer policy (this requires a letter from a doctor to confirm you can have some treatments, note this is not on free nhs but will cost aleast £30 in most cases thats if the doctor will do it. one has told me he would not just to cover the spa's backside) a year ago they had all the treatments done my wife is lucky she had very early breast cancer had a small opp and was clear and only has a yearly check.
when they filled in the health check my wife was summond to the reception and in front of other clients it was announced see had cancer and could not have the treatments and she could ring her doctor on the open desk phone so they could discuss if it was ok this was very very upsetting as every body stared at her
she declined the offer of the call and was offered a voucher for the lost treatment which as their policy said see would not be clear of cancer for two years was unuseable
in the end all she was offered was two free sweets for dinner and not a free drink as the bar manager would not agree
the day was a washout
clarice house should look at the training of its managers it is common sence that you take someone to a quite place to discuss this and at the least offer a full refund of the treatment to be missed or make it up with other services
is this the way a firm with manly women customers should deal with ladies with breat cancer?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank Roger H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Essex
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I bought my daughter a one night spa break for her birthday and she went with her boyfriend. They are aged 19 and 24. Her main observation was that the service afforded to them didn't appear to be to the same level as those of a certain maturity. On arrival, the receptionist was very pleasant but was obviously rushed off her feet as they were left sitting in reception, waiting to be taken to their room for over an hour, without being given their complimentary drink.

Service in the restaurant was very slow. They waited for 10-15 minutes before being asked for their drinks order whilst the waitress cleared the tables around them, completely ignoring them and serving other people. When she eventually asked what they wanted, she was abrupt and badly spoken. Their food came before their drinks.

The full body massage was cut short by 10 minutes, which I see has been mentioned before and during a facial, there was no music just the sound of the therapist sniffing!

It was felt that there was a percentage of staff that didn't know how to relate to the younger guests and perhaps this should be addressed?

On a positive note, the bedroom was lovely and the food was nice and well presented.

I am coming myself for the same spa break later this month, so I shall be interested to see how it compares and will write my findings after the visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank silverweb
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Clarice house has two different types of room, standard and superior. The extra for superior is certainly worthwhile. The rooms are spacious, clean, smartly furnished with lovely bathrooms. The hotel has excellent food which is all healthy and tasty. The staff are service oriented, helpful and discrete. The facilities are first rate with relaxing treatment rooms and sports facilities. If anything the only downside is because it is such good value with regular offers on spa packages, it does get busy.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I just came back from a spa day with my girlfriend, I'd booked is the lovers day for two because it sounded so romantic, and it was... Until we our day was cut short by someone else kids!? I was asked to stop kissing my girlfriend because by a lady who was a member there because her 7 year old wasnt ready to see lesbians! Could we please act more normal and be considerate!? .. This really offended my Faye and myself as she has a child herself. May I ask that Clarice House rethink there timing please, if you sell me a romantic day for two I expect to be able to be romantic, they don't allow under 16s to attend the spa days, so why do they allow members to bring children in to go swimming? We were so offended at being spoken to so rudely surrounded by people that we left early. I spoke to the lady at reception and suggested they change the times or that members should accept that couples will be present at the spa, regardless of sexuality. She was less than interested. The rest of the day was lovely, spa staff were very attentive as were bar staff. Don't go if your gay, your not welcomed, and they don't care.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Circusfreak93
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Recently booked a 3 day/2 night spa break.... What a wonderful way to completely chill out. From the minute we walked in to the moment we booked out I cannot fault a thing. When we booked in they apologised because our room was out the back and close to the kitchen, so they told us we may hear some early morning noise. That wasn't the case, yes we heard a bit of coming and going but nothing that really disturbed us. Room was exceptional. Bathroom was massive with good water pressure and amazing shower. Treatments were amazing, especially the full body exfoliation, left my skin feeling like silk for days. The pool, sauna and steam rooms were excellent. Cannot fault any of the food or the service. Choose your menu before hand, select the time you wish it dine and everything was ready for you. Did not feel pressured into booking any extra's (although it was rude not too) and considering we had booked as a special offer for 2, we had great value for the money we paid. Have had a few day spa's here but the experience of the 3 day break is definitely a recommendation. Thanks to all the staff for a very pleasant stay. Be back soon....

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We booked the spa day as there was an offer on which worked out bogof, £40 each....We all had an express 30 min facial included within the price along with a one course meal. When we arrived it was very busy but we were seen quite quickly,however we were then left sitting on the sofas waiting to be told where to go next. We caught someone's attention and she took our paperwork and we asked if she could show us where to go, she tried to pass us over to another member of staff by asking if she was doing a tour and when she was told she wasn't she kind of huffed and carried on with the "tour".... She told us where the beauty area was and took us to the pool, she then asked if we had locker keys and when we said no, she huffed again and went off to get us some.

We changed into our robes ( we had 2 regular sized robes and 2 huge ones along with a towel each in our locker).

The pool area was okay, there were wooden (very uncomfy!) loungers around he pool, most of which were taken, it was around 9.30am...we managed to get 4 together though so we were happy.... We all had a swim, went in the hot tub etc and relaxeall very nice...we did see a lot of guests come in and have nowhere to sit which wasn't nice for them....def need more loungers or not so many guests...

We had our lunch booked for 12.15pm, it was very nice, the staff were very attentive, no complaints at all.

We went back to the pool area for some more lounging and luckily managed to get our beds again as people were at lunch etc... Then it was time for our treatments. My express (30 min) facial was booked for 3pm, I was in and out by 3.24pm which was a shame as I didn't really feel I had received my full time, I think the actual facial lasted about 15 mins.... The products used were nice though so no complaints there. My sister and sister in law were booked in for an hour full body massage and were out 10 mins early.... They were so busy in the beauty part I think they just had to whizz through guests as quick as possible...

We had tea and scones (£24 for 4 fruit scones and 4 teas...) and then went to shower and change...

We had left our towels in the pool area as they were wet from our swim so we asked for some clean dry towels in he reception area next to the pool,we were told quite abruptly that if we wanted extra towels there was a £1 charge! I have been to quite a few spa's and have never heard of this before! I think we were more annoyed because we hadn't been told initially that this would be the case..we didn't bother with a shower as even though its only £1 it was more the principle!

We had a nice day but unfortunately I felt there were too many guests there so the staff were hurried...

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Rachmc1980
Red Lodge
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We both thoroughly enjoyed our night at Clarice House. Champagne on ice was ready in our room, Lugano Room, which has a beautiful four poster Super-King bed. The room was spacious, quiet, spotless and very grand and luxurious. The treatments, pool and other facilities were all wonderful. The food was outstanding, everything was very well presented and tasted delicious. All the staff were so professional and friendly and really made it a wonderful experience.

I would not hesitate in recommending anyone looking to stay at a luxury Spa Hotel, we enjoyed every minute.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple