“Escape and be pampered”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bury St Edmunds
Bannatyne Spa Hotel Bury St Edmunds
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Norwich
“Escape and be pampered”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I am a regular visitor to Clarice House Bury St Edmunds - usually staying for 1-2 nights - over the years I have never been disappointed always good deals to be had. Fine dining helpful staff great treatments. Nothing is ever too much trouble. The rooms are beautiful especially since the refurbishment. Thoroughly recommend this spa.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Last Friday was about my 8th or even 10th trip to Clarice House - a Spa day for 2 is always my Christmas and Birthday present request!! I have stayed overnight on two day breaks and also had spa days.

The food is good, the staff are attentive, sofas, beds are comfortable, (although I would recommend the 'sit up' pool side chairs, more comfy than the lie down ones )

Clarice House in Bury St Edmunds is set in a beautiful manor type house, full of olde world charm, within pleasant grounds, with ample parking.

HOWEVER - this visit was disappointing - the changing rooms are undergoing refurbishment and so my son had to walk (in the rain) outside, to a portacabin, with limited facilities. There were6 ladies toilets, two of which were not functioning, there were flies in the restaurant and the floor in the treatment room was sticky.

Sorry Clarice House - but you have lost a bit of your sparkle, for me!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not above the kitchen
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We both had a lovely time at the spa, but for day visits I think that the Clarice House at Colchester is far better. We stayed in a luxury room which was ok, but there was no soap for the hand basin and we had to pre order our evening meal prior to dinner, I can understand why they do this to keep costs down but I wouldn't expect this for a 4 star hotel and there was a £15 surcharge for the steak. I think this is excessive. I had the duck which was lovely but it was served with no vegetables and when I asked for some, I was told that they didn't serve seasonal veg with food and my husband gave me his portion of peas with his cod and chips. The waiter then walked off and said "yes that's sorted then". On the whole I thought the food was good but there were so many flies in the restaurant and in the waiting area. At breakfast I was brushing the flies off me and waiter said "yes I know the flies are a bit of a nuisance".
The restaurant has no atmosphere, or background music playing. The staff are lovely but inexperienced and young and have no idea of customer service. I don't think this is their fault but almost a cheap form of labour.
I had two spa treatments which was lovely, but once checked in I rang the spa and was told that they were fully booked. On the off chance I asked if there were any spaces the following day and was told that they were fully booked. The spa manager then came over and said that there was availability that afternoon, I queried this as I had just rang and was told there was no availability but she said that they had received several cancellations. I was very dubious about this!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Clarice House, Bury St Edmunds is well known for it's Spa, Health and Sports facilities.
When we were looking for our ideal wedding venue, someone suggested Clarice House. It was definitely the best choice, well above many of the standard "Wedding Venues" for our most important wedding weekend.
From our first visit, we had dedicated staff who worked with us to create our bespoke wedding. The staff seemed to know exactly what we wanted and supported us in a very professional manner.
We chose to have an early evening wedding. This gave our guests time to relax and make use of the facilities that Clarice House has to offer. We then had the exclusive use of the hotel all evening, for an overnight stay and breakfast the next morning. Our guests were most impressed with the quality of their rooms.This was for us, the perfect venue. Superb food served at our Wedding Breakfast and idyllic surroundings. The friendly staff did everything to ensure our wedding was perfect from the moment our guests arrived and throughout our stay.
We thoroughly recommend Clarice House if you want a truly individual wedding.

Room Tip: Visit the hotel well in advance of any special family occasion and the staff will help you achieve e...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thetford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My sister and I have visited Clarice House a number of times now and it gets better every time. From the wonderfully peaceful grounds that the house sits in to the warm and welcoming staff you instantly start to relax as soon as you pull into the drive. The food is amazing as are all the treatments they have to offer, and the facilities are top class. I would highly recommend Clarice House to anyone who wants to rewind and escape the outside world.... If only for a day or two :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

What a disappointment!
I booked a 'Bliss evening spa' for myself and a friend to celebrate a birthday having been persuaded by the price and website descriptions that we were in for a real treat.
From the outside it looks lovely and I can imagine that sitting outside in the sunshine does feel like a relaxing retreat. However once inside you realise that it is very shabby and basic (ripped sofas, dirty toilets with no paper and swimming pool standard changing rooms).
All the staff are friendly but some seemed unsure about how to induct new visitors and the restaurant staff seemed young and inexperienced at serving and clearing food. On arrival we were asked to wait 3 times in the lounge by different people having been given contrary instructions by each. During our meal waiters were asking if they should clear our plates, no- one checked if we were happy with the food and there was no offer of after dinner drinks.
Our first real shock of the evening was the meal selection process. The website states " award winning standards" - but this was one of the worst restaurants I have ever eaten in (and I have eaten in a lot of restaurants ranging from cheap to Michelin star).
Bearing in mind I had paid £90 per person for a 25 minute back massage and an "award winning" meal I really wasn't expecting to write out my order 2 hours before eating from a very restricted and dull selection of menu options - 2 of the mains options were burger and chips or battered fish and chips. Honestly, I could get better at my local pub!
To add insult to injury, there was a £15 supplement if you wanted steak and chips - possibly the only option that appealed in the slightest.
For my starter I ordered sardines on bruschetta which were tasty enough but a lightly toasted segment of baguette with tomato sauce is not bruschetta and there was an unpleasant lump of congealed blood inside one of the fish. My friend ordered home baked breads which were uninspiring and served with insufficient portions of dip and olives. For my main I ordered the chicken dish which was swimming in oil - I left over half yet no comment or questions from the waiter about it. Are they used to people leaving food I wonder? My friend ordered the trout dish which she did manage to eat but the fish was dry and she also had oil left on her plate at the end. I did wonder why it was served with fried egg rather than poached given we were at a health spa.
Not surprisingly we decided not to opt for the £6 desert selection.
We ordered some green tea at the end feeling underwhelmed and I was a little queasy after the oily food. We had to order this separately at the bar after leaving the restaurant which is awkward. They did however offer to serve it in the lounge which was nicer than sitting in the sparse bar area. Unfortunately, when it arrived it was a 'make your own brew' experience: a pot of hot water and 2 wrapped teabags in individual cups. An appropriate end to a truly dreadful meal.
The whole experience felt like a complete con - this is not my first spa visit so I did have others to compare to. It was by far the worst spa I have been to although apologies to the lovely therapist that massaged me - your massage was the only positive I will take from the evening. The rest was an overpriced, and misrepresented disaster! There are far better spas elsewhere that offer much better value for money at the same price. I won't be going back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Severclan

Travellers are raving about these Bury St Edmunds hotels

Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I have just arrived home after a disappointing day at the spa. It was a gift someone had given me so really looking forward to it. I was very disappointed about several factors overall the place just looks a little shabby. The furniture is worn and in some places, like the toilet and treatment rooms, it felt a little grubby. When I went into one treatment room the floor felt sticky and there was dust and a used cotton bud on the floor of the room that was there in the morning and still there when I returned for a treatment later in the afternoon. The toilets were dusty and didn't smell fresh at all. The robe I hired was somewhat frayed at the edges. The treatment were ok but those included in the day package were short, some lasting as little as 20 minutes.
On a positive side the lunch was good and the staff friendly. However when you go to a spa you want relaxation and a little luxurious pampering and being clean is an essential part of this that I felt that Clarice House fell short of this. I have been to several other spas and this was definitely the worst I have been to.

Stayed August 2014