“Lovely food, shame about bad management”
Review of Graze Kitchen & Bar - CLOSED

Graze Kitchen & Bar
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: informal small plate dining in a relaxed modern setting housed in a 16th century house in the heart of Bury St. Edmunds. There is a Cocktail bar, a private dining room and a meeting room.
“Lovely food, shame about bad management”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Both times I've been to Graze now the food has been great the the management has been terrible! I felt really bad for the waiting staff on both occasions because they are really under staffed and don't have great training. Both times there was the same guy who seemed like a good, trained waiter who was also having to double as barman, and a young waiter who seemed new and although very friendly and eager to help, not very well trained (different each time). I felt really bad for them as it was a weekend evening and the two of them were having to rush around for a lot of big tables. I just don't understand why they would let down how good the food is by forcing the waiting staff to have too much to do and therefore not providing the best service they can.

Both times I've been there there has been a problem with getting drinks, it either takes ages or you have to repeat order them. This again isn't the waiting staffs fault, but the fault of whoever decided the waiters should be bar staff as well as waiting staff..

One of our problems was someone ordered a burger with no cheese and said "No cheese please" about 3 times and the burger came out with cheese! We were told there was a miscommunication between the chefs. I'm assuming the communication problem was that they were a mile apart and heard "NO cheese" as "LOAAAAADS OF CHEESE!!" haha. Kind of confused as to why two chefs need to work together to decide whether or not to put cheese in a burger. When I went to pay I saw what the problem might actually be - the chefs were two young people who were messing about whipping tea towels at each other. I've got nothing against blowing off some steam but if you could not do it in front of me while I'm paying a pretty big bill for an order you got wrong, that'd be good!

Anyway, luckily my family has a good sense of humour and we were pretty unbothered by this. The waiter and waitress were also so friendly and polite it really wasn't their fault. The food really is lovely and they have some really nice, cleverily put together dishes. The burger that came out wrong was taken off our bill and waiting staff were really apologetic about the error.

Anyway I haven't ever reviewed anywhere before but I felt compelled to for the sake of the poor waiters and waitresses! Whoever the management at Graze is they really need to sort out how they're running the place, it's unfair to expect a waiter and waitress, who also double as bar staff, to be able to cope on a weekend evening - as well as having to apologise for chefs that are too busy having fun to get a really simple order right.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank bifrostt

Alamogordo, New Mexico
“Must go!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We'll it's my first time here in the UK so I wanted to make my certain that my first meal was one of my best. I can say without a doubt I have done that. From the decor to the friendly staff, to the exquisite food presentation this place will not disappoint. The waiter (sorry didn't catch your name) really made half the experience. He was knowledgeable, friendly, clean cut and best of all he was prompt and attentive. The kinds of things most look for.

Now for the food, the main show. I have added photos for you to see what we had and a brief description of them. The reason the place is rated so highly is because of the food and they did not let me down. They really showcased the strengths of the food with such ease. It was savory, beautiful and fresh. We loved every bite. Thank you for being my first food experience in the UK and one of the best of my life.

Cheers!
Can't wait to come back.

1 Thank USfood
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Overrated and overpriced”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Went with a group of friends for a celebration. Service was good, but lacked in atmosphere. Food nice but small. Had a main meal which was only slightly bigger then a tapas plate.

• Visited March 2014
“Superb value and quality food”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I have been to Graze twice now, once for her birthday and once when her parents were in town. Both times the service was great and the food wonderful. The prices are reasonable, allowing you to try so many different, delightful dishes. Even there, the tapas are good size, so you aren't left feeling like you didn't get value for your money.

• Visited May 2014
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“What a find in Bury St Edmunds”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Called in here when our Hotel told us of a long delay in service. Ambience great and helpful and friendly staff.Menu was up to date and pleasantly different.Thoroughly enjoyed our meal.I would visit again.

• Visited May 2014