“Rude”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fine Wine and Great Steaks
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Do not even bother to enter this establishment. The Owner/Manager was rude and very unprofessional.

He tweeted an offer of £1.50 tapas between 5pm and 7pm which attracted us in the first place only to be told that it was a one off offer. I pointed out that maybe he should have specified it in the Tweet but we would like to stay as the menu looked enticing..... only to be told that the menu we have been given was a lunch time menu of 3 tapas for £10 and not applicable. Understandably I questioned this and was told by THE OWNER that he did not want "people like us" in his restaurant"!!!

I was not rude, I did not raise my voice... I simply asked for what was advertised and attracted me to his establishment. I did not expect to be disrespected and insulted.

I will not be returning and suggest that you do not either. this gentleman needs to learn manners as well as customer service.

We then went on and found a lovely independent restaurant called Saints that I will write and separate review. Service was superb and the Chef even served our food to table personally. Top marks and do you know what... I would have paid double as service and food was 100%!

3  Thank Jennifer L
ryan s, Owner at Petrus Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Hi my name is Ryan Smith the owner of Petrus wine bar, I'am currently the Chef at Petrus.

Saturday afternoon we had 2 ladies that had clearly been drinking before hand come in and ask for our Tapas offer that we was running 7 weeks ago ! We explained we have not got this advertised in the bar anymore and that it was only for a limited time.

We made a mistake in giving this lady a copy of our lunch menu which does have our 3 tapas dishes for £10 but does also have in very large writing '' Lunch Menu '' at the top, my bar manger explained that a lunch menu had got caught up with the evening menu's and for this we are very sorry. I apologised and quickly went to get the ladies an evening menu to which i heard a large roar of laughter !!!

She persisted to raise her voice so other customers could hear hinting that she would like some free wine !! When i explained i could not do this she said loudly '' I wont be coming back earrr ( here ) '' to which i responded '' We do not want you to come back '' which is the truth.

Afternoon drunks and cheap food is not what Petrus wine bar is about, Whetherspoons is at the end of the road and turn left ladies !!!! I'm glad most of our regular customers was in that afternoon as they seemed to find them quite entertaining.

The comments of '' does he know who I'am '' are still making me cringe !!!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

They definitely know their wine!! Very Very good wine list, and they know exactly what to prescribe.
Lovely atmosphere and very friendly nature among staff and guests.

The most amazing Steak Frites I have had in a long long time!!

Lovely little restaurant and wine bar to frequent.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I booked a table at Petrus Wine Bar a few weeks before our visit last Friday to ensure we would have a table.
When we arrived we were informed that there were only two main course choices left, fish and chips or burger. When we enquired why we were told that "two of the mains had not been done that evening and the others had sold out" I would expect that having taken a booking the chef would prepare enough food for all covers?

Not to let the small choice spoil our evening we decided to have the full range of tapas on offer.
Whilst okay they were certainly nothing more than could easily have been prepared at home.

We did have a complaint regarding two portions of one of the tapas which I feel unfair to mention detail of on this website, but the restaurant managers reaction to the comment and request to remove it from the bill I felt was unacceptable. He offered to remove one portion but not the other from the bill (even though both portions had not been eaten and the complaint pointed out to the waitress who agreed with our complaint) The manager also told us the reason for teething problems in Petrus were due to changing a chef, something I think I have read in a previous review of Petrus several weeks ago.

I wish Petrus success in the future but feel they need to get the basics right first.

3  Thank Mrnick99
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Booked a table and had a lovely girly evening. Great selection of wine didn't really need to eat as the wine sufficed. Steak was amazing...literally the best in Bury St Edmunds. Crème Bru was to die for and better than the French do!!

Great place to have relaxed glass or two or eat.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Each time I go past Petrus it always seems closed, they do not seem to have arrived at a set of opening hours that they stick to. They have some nice wines, but seem confused are they a wine bar and restaurant or a wine bar serving snacks or café style food. Other wine bars I have been to serve grazing boards and great bar snacks, so come on Petrus many of us like your place, time to get the act together.

2  Thank snapone