“somewhere different to eat in Bury”
Review of Casa del Mar - MOVED

Casa del Mar
Price range: US$11 - US$35
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A passion for food & exceptional service are paramount at this small but perfectly formed restaurant. Using only the highest quality fresh ingredients prepared to order, the menu consists of Tapas and Meze dishes alongside main courses packed full of flavour. For pudding choose from simply the tastiest-ever locally-produced ice cream or homemade desserts. Fully licensed bar open throughout the day with a relevant range of drinks to compliment the food. All this served to you in the fabulous dining area beneath starlit, ivy-entwined gazebos at pretty candlelit tables. Whether you are looking for a romantic dinner for two, or a fun filled meal with friends this is a haven for anyone seeking to recreate those relaxed Mediterranean culinary experiences. Reservations essential: Kitchen open Tues - Thurs 11.30am - 3pm/5.30 - 8.30pm /Fri 11.30am-3pm/5.30-10pm & Sat 11.30am - 10pm
Reviewed 1 August 2014

How refreshing to find at last an independent cafe/ restaurant in Bury that serves delicious food yet at reasonable prices in bright and friendly surroundings. Well done. Any negative comments we would say come from very unlucky patrons!

1  Thank Anne S

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We'd seen good reviews on Cafe del Mer so thought we would try it for a birthday evening out. Ignore the positive reviews. This place has appalling service and a very unprofessional attitude.

First our food was delivered at very different times leaving half of it cold. One dish took at least 30 minutes after the first one because they got the order wrong.

Very abrupt staff when we asked if it would be much longer and a poor effort on their behalves to correct this.

I was brought a dish which the waitress said was butternut squash, I said I had ordered a vegetable tagine and she told me it was in fact a tagine. It ended up being a butternut squash so I asked for it to be retuned and that I didn't want anything else.

I asked to not pay for the dish as they put it on the bill and the waitress said I had to pay. I refused so she spoke with the owner who said I could pay half price as she had to make it especially for me after already saying she made it that morning. After being repeatedly told I could not leave until I paid I reluctantly gave them the money. It was very embarrassing as the waitress was incredibly loud and abrupt to me when I said I didn't want to pay and other diners on a table next were listening.

We will definitely will not be returning here. Disappointing service for a local restaurant and an even worse take on 'customer service'.

10  Thank mtraeah
CafeDelMarBuryStEds, Owner at Casa del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

I am not surprised to find that you have written on trip advisor, it was very clear you expect to get away with behaving however you please. Your manners were appalling and the way you treated my staff - observed by other customers who were disgusted, describing it as "an example of the worst of Bury St Edmunds".

Your vegetable tagine was indeed vegetable tagine made my myself with Chick Peas, Fennel, Okra, Carrot, Apricots, Onions and Peppers. I came out of the kitchen and offered to replace your dish and hand pick out the butternut squash - which incidentally it maybe worth considering when ordering a mixed vegetable dish stating at the time any vegetables you won't eat!! I did actually pick out the butternut squash of the dish you were served and photographed this and the remaining 4/5 of the tagine. (will post this in my blog)

You party arrived at around 7pm and were disappointed not to be able to take advantage of our 3 for £10 which finishes at 4pm.

You moaned about the demise of chocolate mousse off our menu....I do hope any prospective customers reading this are getting the drift!?

Tapas/Mezze are not meant to come out all in one go - food is cooked freshly and served at optimum - with or without butternut squash!

Pulitzer prize winning author, Dave Barry says,
“A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person” - perhaps you should dwell on this. The two young ladies serving last night both work very hard and maintain professionalism, even in the face of rudeness.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Last Saturday 26th July was a Greek themed evening at Café Del Mar. You have to book your place if you want to enjoy one of these evenings. They get booked up fast and after attending my first I can totally see why. With a warm welcome and a large Orzo in hand, i just knew the night was going to be great fun! The atmosphere had that hum of friends enjoying their company and joining in with conversation around the tables to find new acquaintances. The food was fantastic with dishes being served all evening. Safe to say too much wine was consumed as was felt the following day. Service is not only of a high standard but really friendly and homely. It feels more like going round to dinner with friends than the normal formal affair. I would highly recommend a visit to this Mediterranean Island in Bury St Edmunds.

1  Thank GMTR
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Not too far away from the main shops, well worth a detour. We had tapas for a late lunch and it was all delicious.

1  Thank Podneysmum
Reviewed 24 July 2014

On a beautiful sunny day, Cafe del Mar makes you feel as if you are in a cafe on holiday!
Stopped in for lunch and had fabulous freshly prepared and delicious tapas. Great food, lovely atmosphere and friendly helpful service all on my doorstep.

1  Thank Kim M