“BSE's fine dining restaurant - does what it does very well”

Maison Bleue Restaurant
Price range: US$33 - US$57
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: ‘There will come a day when our championing of this brilliant French restaurant means we will not be able to book a seat there due to it being so busy! Until that time we will simply state our great admiration for the cuisine, wine and new décor.’ East Anglia Daily Times
Reviewed 27 November 2012

It's taken me a while to get around to Maison Bleue, despite the fact that I've been told it is the best place to eat in Bury St Edmunds. Having seen the menu, this is not a place I'd be expecting to go to with my vegan partner. I'm not suggesting that they could not cater for her, but more that they probably should not - their style of food is not something you'd want to see compromised.

After looking over a prodigious wine list I noticed that the a la carte menu for the evening was very limited due to a "festive menu" being offered in its place. This wasn't a huge problem as the special menu was pretty extensive, and at £32 for three courses, very reasonable indeed.

I had very high expectations of the food and was surprised to find my starter (smoked haddock with a scrambled egg, chive, parsley and chilli gateau) wasn't all that good. Anything with scrambled eggs in it should - in my opinion - not be served chilled, and certainly should not be overly seasoned to the point where it is intensely salty. And the smoked haddock was served looking terribly like a fish finger! It tasted okay but the starter certainly knocked my confidence in what was to follow.

I shouldn't have worried. My main course (Breast of Barbury duck served with pumpkin and parmesan crumble with a honey and cinnamon sauce) was fantastically well cooked and delivered. This also came with a side order of seasonal vegetables that were prepared and seasoned to perfection. Desert was a given after that, and I ordered something simply called "Chocolate" - a slice of something that was pretty much a chocolate fudge cake with cream, a quinelle of fantastic xmas pudding flavoured ice cream, some sugar work and a delicate sauce. It was excellent. The ice cream alone was a stroke of genius.

Finishing this off with a 15 year old Bas-Armagnac, from a choice of at least 20-odd options, ended a very good meal. The starter could be improved (and I may have chosen a weaker option here) but all in all this is somewhere I'd happily revisit. And if you are pondering whether or not to visit, try to do so now while the festive menu options mean it is particularly good value.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

This is a cordon bleu restaurant , the only one in Bury.

The seafood specialities are very special indeed, the whole menu is imaginative, innovative and exciting.

The chef is superb, the presentation and service are top-notch.

And yet, a relaxed atmosphere in a quiet part of the town centre.

A restaurant that my wife and I keep returning to ------ it's expensive , but you pay for what you get : and at Maison Bleue, you get ONLY the very best.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Four of we likeminded souls called on this eatery for the set lunch at £20 for three courses.We were very impressed with all of the food both in its preparation and taste.The cheese board is massive and has to be tried.The wine list is 35 pages and has something for everyone I am sure.Brush up on your french and try it!

Reviewed 8 November 2012

This was my second visit to Maison Bleue while travelling with work. The first time was dinner and the second time was lunch. I went for the set price three course menu. There was a liver mousse to die for, an excellent partridge with a really tasty sauce followed by a pear dessert. I can't fault this place. The price is reasonable if you want lower end haute cuisine or the higher end stuff is also quite perfect. The service is excellent - efficient, friendly but without being in your face and the waiting staff even put up with my poor attempts at speaking French! This is my favourite restaurant in Bury St. Edmund's. Their sister restaurant, The Great House, in Lavenham is also well worth a try - but book well in advance!

Reviewed 8 November 2012

A lovely restaurant with professional and attentive staff. Choice of dishes for lunch very good. Good wine list. All in all, we had a wonderful lunch and really enjoyed the whole experience. Friendly staff make such a difference to a restaurant and Maison Bleue has these too. We will definitely return!