“It has gone downhill.”

Ranked #82 of 215 Restaurants in Bury St Edmunds
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: ASK Italian in Bury St Edmunds is a place for great food and warm service. Think fresh bread made to tear and share. A glass of fine wine worth deserving of your time. Delicious main dishes prepared the traditional way. Everything we know and love about Italian food is served straight to your table.
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I was virtually a regular when ASK opened but this recession means that staff have to be unbelievably helpful if anyone is gonna shell out more than fifty pounds on a meal in a chain restaurant.

And the staff have declined in quality, from quirky/variable to utterly uninterested and the introduction of minimalist white plastic tables and chairs is a huge step backwards.

Thus, I have given up.

1  Thank Sydney B
There are newer reviews for Ask Italian - Bury St Edmunds

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have been here a couple of times and I have to say both times were a disappointment. The first time we waited ages being ignored by the door, and when we went to ask a waitress, she shouted at my partner to get back by the door. We ordered a starter and pizzas. We waited well over an hour and the starter was forgotten and the pizza was burnt. The waiting staff didn't care. I was given £20 in vouchers to mostly compensate for the meal and to tempt me to try the new-improved service. This time we were seated in a reasonable time. The service was better, and the food all arrived as planned. I have to say that I feel the food is very pricey for what you get, and isn't that fantastic tasting. The 'our chocolate nemesis' dessert was a big disappoinment. That said, no burnt food, and we weren't shouted at. Service was still fairly slow, perhaps they are under-staffed. The toilets were not in a good state. The only good thing about this place is that it is right next to the cinema, but there are nicer places only a short walk away, and more reasonably priced.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Nothing special. It's convenient if you're seeing a movie. I've never seen it too busy & there's a reason. The food was alright, the service was fine. Ate there with the kids and that went fine. It's someplace to go if you want to get in quick or just want to try some place other than your regulars.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Went here for my friends hen party, there was 11 of us food was fine, but staff were not very friendly and they forgot to of the main meals so then had to wait for the to cook them so we all ate at different times. They still expected a tip was not happy with the very expensive service charge which we did not pay, won't go back to this branch.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Ask is a mine and my partners no1 restuarant in bury st edmunds to eat we have been going there about 4 years now and always get service with a smile from the staff there and the food has always been brilliant And well priced compared to other chains like bella italia!also offer very good voucher deals!