“An uncomplicated lunch.”
Review of The Angel Eaterie

The Angel Eaterie
Ranked #57 of 212 Restaurants in Bury St Edmunds
Price range: US$46 - US$78
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Angel Eaterie has many admirers and is a popular destination for Suffolk locals. The art filled dining room providing a gallery for the creative talents of the kitchen. The dishes are modern and predominantly British but, the Head Chef continually surprises with a curious twist of something deliciously different. Fresh local produce is sourced from surrounding market gardeners and pheasant, venison or fish will always depend on what's available for the menu that day. The breads baked in house are testament to the care taken to achieve that special taste; dip into the olive oil then take your pick of the 30 varieties of quality wines all served by the glass and wait for further temptations. The Angel Eaterie is open all day for food & drink.
Newport Pagnell, United Kingdom
“An uncomplicated lunch.”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have to say that this was much better than average and much more a 'good' than a 'very good'. After my experience at Voujon 20 minutes before I wandered around Bury St Edmund's looking for somewhere to eat as a single diner. There are plenty of places but I settled on The angel as I was hopeful that they would be more accommodating and it's good to say that they were just that.
I asked for a table that was in the background which I received. I ordered scallops with beetroot and pea shoots to start, this was tasty, but with only 2 scallops (probably as they are expensive) the dish could have done with one more or a little less beetroot to balance it out, there were also some dried vegetables 2 slices of beetroot and something else that I couldn't pinpoint what it was , they were both a little too chewy and I'm not sure what they added to the overall meal. I followed with a Crab linguine, that too was nice, not seasoned enough for me and a touch dry but enjoyable nonetheless. I sipped this with a lovely, fruity glass of draught Aspells. The young woman hosting was very welcoming and George who served my was equally pleasant. Definitely would go again.

• Visited August 2014
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Eaterie, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to enjoy lunch with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I can assure you that all of the team members will be made aware of your comments as they serve as a great motivator.

Our team work hard to deliver high standards of hospitality at all time and I am pleased that on this occasion there was no exception.

My team and I look forward to your return with us.

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“One of the best meals we've had here”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have previously reviewed this restaurant but felt compelled to do so again because of the excellent food on our last visit on the 12th July.
Upfront service and the staff welcome were their usual happy combination. First choice wine was unavailable but the waitress was very helpful in choice of an alternative. Starters were devilled kidneys and a mackerel salad: the salad was fine but the kidneys were one of the best starters I've had anywhere. Tender, just cooked kidneys in a powerful, but not too hot sauce, served on a square of lightly (and also very tasty) griddled bread, with mini leaves which complemented it well.
We went for scallops for the main course. Simple, delicate and perfectly cooked.
My wife went for a pannacotta for desert, which was also good. I made my big mistake by going for sticky toffee pudding. Up came a cut of pudding about five inches long, two wide and two deep. It was deliciously caramelised top and bottom and suitably moist inside. Unfinishable, not on quality but on sheer volume; but I did enjoy it very much.
Prices in Bury are definitely up. We paid £112 for two including service and a bottle of wine at £43 (it was a joint birthday celebration). A year or so back I doubt this meal would have set us back more than £95. (Maison Bleue was similarly well up in price on our last visit a few months before this.)

• Visited July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to enjoy dinner with us.

My team and I look forward to your return with us.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DOESN'T LIVE UP TO EXPECTATIONS”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Hugely dissapointed, visited the Angel hotel today with my brother and familly. I Ordered the courgete chilli & feta salad only to find there was no feta or chilli in my salad. We all commented on the beetroot tops being full of grit and extremely unpleasant to eat. It was an extremely hot day and we asked for our white wine to to be put on ice, what we did not expect was the ice to be be added to the wine. We brought our family to the Angel because, based on previous visits, we felt it had a good reputation. We left hugely dissapointed and very embarrassed. The lack of salad washing harks back to the reasons for closure by environmental health.

1 Thank Matthew P
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent disappointing experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment meal with regards to the service you received and the quality of food, this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I have spoken to the restaurant staff involved to ensure further training is given. I have spoken with my Restaurant Manager and Head chef with regards to this and going through your constructive criticism with them.

I certainly would not want this to be your lasting impression of The Angel Hotel and I would like you to contact me directly- Stuart@theangel.co.uk

I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope we may look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel Hotel in the near future.
“Poor service”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

When I visited the Angel Hotel eatery the the whole experience was shocking. The service was dire with our drink failing to arrive after 45 minutes of waiting; as we were a party of 10 we were hard to miss which made it even worse. It left us all with a sour taste for what claims to be the premier establishment of Bury St Edmunds.

1 Thank Charlie S
Dear Charlie,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent disappointing experience with us in regards to your drinks. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the service your received, this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I have spoken to the restaurant staff involved to ensure further training is given.

I certainly would not want this to be your lasting impression of The Angel Hotel.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Food is not up to expectations”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Myself and my wife have visited the Angel Hotel a number of times, usually for a drink in the vaults first where the decor is very pleasant with small themed booths, drinks are expensive but nice for a treat!! once in the resturant the decor again is nice with a romatic feel, a good service is always provided with extensive wine lists, however the food just laterly has not lived up to past experiences and has left us feeling a little disapointed to which i thought time to write a review, with an average 3 course meal and a couple of drink stretching over the £65 mark per person you expect nearer the fine dining they boast, come on the Angel get back on track and we will visit again soon but with soo many new resturants opening in BSE for now its time for a change.

• Visited June 2014
Dear Sir,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the dinner you received, this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive. I will be speaking with my Head Chef with regards to this and going through your constructive criticism with him. We have recently updated our menu and also launched a steak night on Sunday evenings to set ourselves apart from other local restaurants.