The Great House Hotel & Restaurant
US$272
Travelocity
Black Lion Hotel(Long Melford)
US$105
US$109
US$98
US$80
Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf & Spa(Leavenheath)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$120
Agoda.com
US$156
Orbitz.com
US$174
The Crown, Stoke By Nayland(Stoke by Nayland)
US$189
The Bull(Long Melford)
TripAdvisor
The Crown Hotel(Long Melford)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstudor roomrestaurant with roomscomplimentary sherryfrench restaurantcheese trolleymarket squarefour postercheese boardcontinental breakfastcoffee machineguinea fowlcheeseboardfrench stafffoie graswine listfrench cheesenever disappoints
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful two nights (Saturday & Sunday) Every aspect of our stay was just perfect. Our room (Room 3) was spotlessly clean, comfortable with DVD player, coffee machine etc. Very comfy bed too.

Supper on the Saturday night was lovely in every way - My Starter was a carpaccio of Tuna (delicious) Followed by a steak cooked exactly as I like it. (rare) My dessert was a silky smooth Creme Brulee -one of the best I have ever had. We chose a Chablis to accompany our meal which again was delicious and not over priced.

Our weekend was made all the more interesting as the "Great Storm" hit on the Sunday morning causing a power cut. The looked-forward to Full English was impossible but an impressive continental breakfast was on offer instead.

The staff were all French and very professional. Both of us love France so it was an added pleasure to be reminded of a country we visit several times a year.

We both thought that our stay was excellent and, for what we had, good value. We will definately be going back.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Vivian H
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We had a really pleasant couple of nights in room 1. Bedroom is lovely, staff were very friendly but unobstrusive. We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night and it was lovely. Breakfast was very good so have no idea what some of the other reviews are on about. My only suggestion is to put a little jug of milk in the mini bar instead of UHT milk - a pretty minor point! Thanks very much

Room Tip: We had no faults with room 1. It overlooks the market square but this isn't a rowdy square.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My friend took me away as a surprise for my birthday. And I have to say we had a fabulous time.

The hotel - We stayed in the Attic room, which was very sweet indeed. With complimentary bottle of sherry, tv and DVD player with a DVD of visit Lavenham which was useful, comfy bed, lovely bathroom with robes. All very nice indeed.

The restuarant - This was really the highlight of our trip, being a keen student sommelier I was delighted when asking for the wine list, being presented with a rather large book of wines to chose from. The food was excellent, I had the duck for starter and main which were both cooked correctly. Followed by a most excellent choice of cheeses and brandy's to end the evening.

The service was first class and the French waiter was both friendly and knowledgable about the food & wines. I even got to practice a bit of French which is always entertaining.

I highly recommend and look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: If staying at the hotel, try to park your car in the road next to or opposite the hotel and not in the main square. As you can get blocked in.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed in a lovely room No. 3 The Tudor Suite. Sitting room and bedroom are excellent. Once I fathomed out the tea/coffee machine that was good also. We unfortunately had to stay Sunday and Monday night the days when the restaurant was closed. We ate at the Swan, which was excellent.
Why 3 stars. First reason was there were no staff on in the evening and a bit of help with the coffee machine would have been helpful. Security might have been a problem because anyone could have walked in and taken a key. Second reason is at £15 the English breakfast is overly expensive but real objection is that the coffee on both days was dreadful. It literally was like dishwater. When I mentioned it to lady owner she showed no concern what so ever. Shame the French usually make great coffee.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David S
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We booked at the last minute for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast and had a fabulous time. We stayed in the four-poster room, with associated sitting room. Everything was perfect. The memory of our dinner stays with me. I had Foie Gras Creme Brulee, an utterly exquisite creation, followed by Halibut and then a warm white chocolate and raspberry moelleux - stunning, My wife had scallops, guinea fowl and panna cotta. It was the best meal we have eaten for ages.

Room Tip: The best rooms are numbers 1 or 3