“Excellent as always”

and 1 more site!
The Great House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 8 Lavenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I've reviewed this restaurant before and on this occasion it was excellent as ever. We found ourselves in Lavenham on a Saturday night and phoned on the off chance of getting a table. Delighted to hear there had been a cancellation a few minutes earlier, but I realised that I hadn't brought with me the sort if clothes I normally wear to this smart restaurant. In we went, by no means scruffy, but a little underdressed, but I needn't have worried, the welcome and the service were impeccable as ever and the food was wonderful. Next time I go I will be dressing up again, because that's what I like to do, but I'm glad I didn't let 'but I've nothing to wear' get in the way of a great evening

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is a lovely restaurant. There is a huge menu and plenty of choice. The food is excellent. We have eaten there several times and the quality of food is superb. The staff are always very attentive and friendly. It is certainly one of the nicest restaurants in this part of the world.

My only criticism is the ladies loo. It might be beautifully decorated but there is only one,it is very tiny and up quite steep stairs. A restaurant of this standard should have a loo or loos to match!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ThelmaandLouise50
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is a tricky review. We spent a night at The Great House arriving at 3.30 in the afternoon. You walk-in off the street into a restaurant with a small bar area. The place was deserted but on a table was a room key and a sheet of paper with our name on it and a space to fill-in our credit card details. I took the key and headed upstairs. Our room, The Grand Room was located next to the restaurant's toilets. The room was large, had quality furnishings and a unique character. It didn't small fresh and had numerous cobwebs so I guess it had not been used for a few days. The lighting was generally ok but the coffee machine was inside the wardrobe and so dark I could see how to turn it on! The chaises-longues were comfortable but directly underneath the small tv. So in summary the room was good but needed a little more attention to make it great. So to dinner - the restaurant is a lovely room but opportunities to maximise its impact were missed such as not lighting the inglenook. The restaurant is well staffed. We were asked if we would like an aperitif but when I asked for a list I was told they had not been printed yet. We opted for 'wine'. When we were given the menu the front page was entitled 'Aperitifs' and there was an extensive list! The menu was limited (nearly all the starters were fish or meat) but interesting. The food was exquisitely cooked and presented. My wife loved it. I thought it was good but generally under-seasoned. So I thought the rooms were good especially if you happened to be dining there, and the restaurant was very good especially if you were staying there. My own choice? I'd stay at The Swan and eat at The Great House.

3  Thank BluePeterGeorge
Reviewed 15 November 2013

(This review refers only to the hotel's restaurant)

30 years in the market square in olde worlde Lavenham in Suffolk have not worn away the authentic French style and cuisine that immigrated with the owners.

The exterior says chocolate box England, but the menu, cooking, and service dit le vrai francais.

Even better, the French cuisine benefits from what surely must be a vigorous hunting and gathering of the best, freshest local produce around, and that was evident in the way the food tasted throughout three courses. Add in a rare talent for keeping an impressive array of French and English cheeses in peak, ready-to-eat shape, and you have the Great House's formula for endurance made clear.

I'm sorry that this was just our first visit here. It won't be our last.

1  Thank StillTheOldie
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We live close enough not to stay but eat regularly in the restaurant which is superb. Often we have the fixed price menu and it is fabulous value. I can't praise the food too highly. We are often given meals in London at starry restaurants by our richer[!] children and it is only rarely that they can even come close to the Great House. Service is always impeccable and discreet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We've not stayed at the hotel but always go to the restaurant for special occasions (anniversaries, birthdays etc.). Such a shame it's not nearer to us as we would go more often.
The service is impeccable and the food never disappoints. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was our first stay at the Great house (for my wife's birthday), but we have dined there many times before. Without using an overdose of words, all I can say is that this place is fantastic. The food is second to none, the wine list is varied and reasonably priced, the staff are not only courteous and friendly but genuinely seem to have fun when they are looking after you, the accommodation is brilliant and their choices of decor are superb.

We were very kindly given a free upgrade to a larger room and some complimentary sherry on arrival. Totally top class all the way. When you add to that the fact that Lavenham is a lovely place to "mooch" around and enjoy, you have a very special package.

Top marks.

1  Thank John S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lavenham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Bull
The Bull
#1 of 3 in Long Melford
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
4 mi away
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#3 of 3 in Long Melford

Been to The Great House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!