There's much to like about the Great House. For a start, it only has five rooms, so it has the feel of a boutique hotel rather than some corporate establishment. However, it's a moot point whether it's really a hotel, as there's no lounge or bar for the guests and reception is actually in the middle of the dining room. The AA sign to the left of the main door indicated 'Restaurant with rooms' and that's a more accurate description. The Tudor Room we stayed in is charming and quirky as befits the age of the building. A downside is that the bedroom and sitting room overlook the open air part of the dining room and the smoking area used by kitchen staff, so there were times when it got a bit noisy. The dinner we had one night was excellent, although portion sizes were on the small size. The food is classically French but without the heavy touch one often finds in France itself. The continental breakfast was included in the room rate and it was perfectly adequate, although i have an aversion to one-portion boxes of cereal and Alpen in particular.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Great House Hotel and Restaurant in Lavenham is located in the heart of Suffolk, offering unmatched service and luxurious accommodation. The hotel has recently undergone a complete re-fit which has raised the bar to an even higher level. It is an unparalleled experience of exquisite French style and flair, perfectly matched to the heart of English village life offering the best in style and comfort with character and warmth. AA 5 Star Restaurant with Rooms - Inspector's choice. AA 3 rosette Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Great House Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lavenham Great House Hotel And Restaurant
- The Great House Hotel & Restaurant Lavenham, Suffolk