“A little let down at the end”

Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lavenham
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We took advantage of a three day deal to include bed , breakfast and evening meal on August 20/21/22 which we booked directly with the hotel by phone. The booking was handled impeccably. This is a beautiful atmospheric hotel in a lovely village and with a couple of exceptions lived up to our expectations.
Part of the deal included a complementary glass of champagne on our first night but this never materialised ( to be fair we forgot about it but obviously so did the hotel )
Our room was on the first floor and very comfortable if rather too warm ( a fan was found in the wardrobe but was broken and replaced ).
Staff were absolutely exemplary, extremely attentive and nothing was too much trouble.
Our meals, particularly when we ate from the a la carte menu were superb ,as was the breakfast, which brings me to my one feeling of being let down ,albeit after we had got back home.
On our last day after breakfast I asked the restaurant manager where the hotel bought their sausages as they were superb. I was hoping it was in the vilage so I could take some home. I was told that a butcher in the village made them up to the chef's special recipe and were not generally available to purchase. However the chef would give me four when we checked out later. This was very commendable and very special service. When we did check out I was asked instead to write my name and address on a piece of paper and they would post them to me - again very commendable - but I am still waiting almost four weeks later. I am just a little disappointed that even if they were unable to send them they couldn't have let me know, particularly as they asked me to mention this exceptional treatment on Trip Advisor !

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms will not be as hot in summer.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience following your recent visit to the Swan at Lavenham.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your time whilst in our care and I have passed your kind comments to the team.

With reference to the sausages, I was delighted that our team member went the extra mile and offered to forward the items to you - I have only by reading your review been made aware that you still have not received them and naturally wish to apologise. I can confirm that a badge of sausages has been posted to you today and I am positive that by the time my reply is going live, you will have received them.

I sincerely hope that this oversight will not deter you from returning to the Swan at Lavenham in the near future - it goes without saying that a complimentary glass of champagne will be waiting for you - just contact me directly and I will gladly make the necessary arrangements for you personally.

Ingo Wiangke

Write a ReviewReviews (1,261)

Reviewed 15 September 2011

We came here for a weekend at the start of our honeymoon, and couldn't have wished for a better place to kick off married life.

The hotel is stunningly beautiful (we were in a feature room), the staff are really friendly & welcoming, and the service in impeccable. Breakfast in the room was definitely a highlight, with high-quality food.

Arriving late at night after our wedding was no problem, and we were spoilt right from the start.

Definitely going back for our first anniversary!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your lovely feedback.
I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to the Swan at Lavenham.

Many congratulations once again on your recent marriage and we all wish you the very best for the future. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

My wife treated me to a one night stay for my 65th birthday, no words can describe how amazing this hotel is.
The service and the atmosphere of the venue is something to experience.
A touch of old world charm.
Highly recommended for a special occasion or a meal to die for
We cannot thank the staff enough for a most memorable time.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your lovely review.

It was a pleasure looking after you and we look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

A really quaint hotel in a sweet village. I really liked the original features in the hotel, it made it feel original.

I, like many others on here, booked the Travelzoo deal, and think it was excellent value for money.

The hotel is really clean, the room was clean though there were a couple of stains on the carpet (some kind of drink stain I think).

The cream tea was a little disappointing in terms of selection but tasted nice! The evening meal was really nice, good size portions and the peanut butter parfait was amazing! Breakfast is plentiful.

The staff are all really friendly and super helpful.

Myself and my husband (at 28&29) were by far the youngest guests!

Overall a lovely hotel but I would say it's better value for money when a deal is on, if I'd paid £200 for the night I would have been a little disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2011

I really appreciate your feedback following your recent visit to the Swan at Lavenham.

Great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us - I have passed your compliments to the team who are equally pleased to have been recognised in this way.

I appreciate that value for money is ever so important, especially in this current climate - we constantly offer excellent value packages and shorbreaks, so it pays looking out for those on our website - I am sure that you will find something suitable that will entice you to return to the Swan at Lavenham soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

Bought a deal from Travel Zoo for £169 which included the room, breakfast and dinner for two, from the À la carte menu, afternoon tea and a bottle of champagne in the room. From the moment we arrived the service was impeccable. The lady on reception took us personally to our room, the champagne was there on ice waiting for us, and she explained that if we wanted fresh milk with the tea and coffee facilities we only needed to ring zero and they would whisk it up to us. Next morning we rung zero and it was in our room within minutes.

The food in the restaurant is magnificent and the service, which is outstanding complements the food and provides a great experience. One minor complaint, and it's not really a complaint is just more me being "anal" is that I would have liked the option of fried potatoes with the full English but that said the full English was just excellent.

Would I go back you bet I would and was on the Internet looking for a deal having only just arrived home! Haven't found one yet but I will.

1  Thank David P

Many thanks for sharing your experience - I am delighted to read that you had a splendid time at the Swan at Lavenham and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2011

We booked this deal with travelzoo and it was well worth the money. Cream tea, champagne in our room, 3 course meal with canapes and a lovely room. We understand that there were 900 reservations as a result of the offer and this must ahve been good for business and customers alike. Well done Travelzoo and the Swan.

The service and check in was excellent. The loaction and the architecture of this lovely and loved building is perfect. Symapathetically maintained and furnished to a high standard, which is no mean feat with a building as old as this. The dining room is truly beautiful.

Our room 47 was just lovely. There is some noise though from the lounge area next door and having seen the witch finder general books in Lavenham there was much amusement about hauntings when we could hear the footsteps in the room above us during the night! Some traffic noise from 6.30 in the morning.
The meal was good if not memorable. Perhaps if we had not booked on such a good deal we might have been disappointed.

There was a wedding in the hotel on the day we arrived. How magical a setting in amongst the oak beams, the romantic garden and the historic surroundings.

We would definitely go back

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Swan at Lavenham and look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

If you want to be really spoilt stay at the Swan from the minute you arrive you are really looked after .The bedrooms are beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean and there are proper wooden hangers in the ward robe not fixed to the rail!!,the bathroom is equipped with everything you could possibly want The lounge is very comfortable do try the cream teas. dinner is served in the stunning beamed dining room the meal was delicious and exquisitely presentedThe hotel is set at the end long street with alot of buildings dating from the middle ages Lavenham is a medievel town with lots of history well worth a visit

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback.
We are collectively trying our utmost to ensure that all our guests have a memorable time whilst in our care - I am so pleased to read that we seem to have achieved just that.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Ingo Wiangke

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lavenham
16 mi away
18 mi away
Tuddenham Mill
Tuddenham Mill
#1 of 1 in Tuddenham

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham? Share your experiences!