“Needs communication”

Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lavenham
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the 2nd time visiting old haunts, family & friends. The reception & bar staff were excellent, very polite & eager to help. My room was lovely, well appointed and with excellent wifi connection. the downside ..As a single traveller I decided to take room service. On placing my order on the 2nd evening I was informed that my room menu was old & my choice subsequently unavailable (it had been the evening before !) breakfast was a comedy.. I had two hot drinks delivered, no orange juice (although requested) & no butter or cereal spoon on my tray... Yes I will return as it still remains my favourite place to stay when in the area.. However, there needs to be better communication & co-ordination to live up to its otherwise excellent reputation .

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Gabby72
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Gabby

Thank you for your review, we have received your feedback and I am very sorry we did not live up to our standards on this occasion. Please do not hesitate to contact me to dicsuss further, I look forward to meeting you soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Just had a short stay at this hotel and it was the first time in years that we have found a quality hotel excellent service and amazing food. All the staff were excellent and very well trained and nothing was to much trouble and made to feel very comfortable.We will be returning again soon.

Room Tip: Lovely room over looking the garden.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Nancekivell

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel, WOW, what lovely feedback. I am so pleased to read you enjoyed every moment of your stay. We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Just back from a 3 day stay at the swan
The service provided by the excellent staff of a very high standard, the food first class. We stayed in a large pleasant room with oak beams - a huge very comfortable bed ensured a good nights sleep - the bathroom was fine but perhaps in need of modernisation. The hotel proved an excellent base for exploring Suffolk, The lounge is very comfortable - the garden and enclosed courtyard are all excellent places to read, take afternoon tea or have a drink.
It is worth emphasising the level of service provided by every member of staff at the hotel

Room Tip: Look on the website Ring and ask the staff to describe them.

Dear Carrowniskey

Thank you for your kind comments and feedback on your stay at the hotel, I will pass them onto the team and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed here for my father's birthday celebrations, and although we were worried when we arrived as there was a wedding going on in the hotel, the staff could not have been more attentive. We were looked after very well - making sure we had somewhere quite to enjoy our time together as a family and ensuring we had everything we needed at all times.

From check-in to departure, the service was faultless. The hotel room was spotless, and such a lovely characterful room. Even our dog was made to feel welcome throughout the hotel.

I can thoroughly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road through the village
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Frances

I am so pleased we helped make your celebration that little bit more special, thank you for your kind comments I will pass these onto the team. I do hope you visit again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Visited as a birthday treat for my sister, hoping for luxury and peace. Sadly we didn't really experience either. We were in a twin room (number 2). It was a reasonable size with original beams, but there were grease marks on the arm chairs and the decorative cushions, dents and horrid marks in the bath and a general feel of faded grandeur. The noise from the staircase and rooms above meant disturbances through much of the night (allowances made for it being an old building but it was extremely disruptive), and the road noise was intrusive during the early morning. We were on a dinner, bed and breakfast package but were not given sight of the 'house' menu until sitting down for dinner. It was extremely limited, as was the a la carte option. When we asked to eat off of the Brasserie menu instead, and ordered burgers, they had none. The Gallery staff were not particularly gracious. We felt compelled to eat there, and had we seen the menu, could have made alternative arrangements. Breakfast was a completely different experience with a friendly and attentive staff member and everything on the menu was available. For the premium price I expected a lot more. What a shame.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank theholidayingsisters

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to share you constructive feedback, the team work very hard to ensure all areas of the hotel are to the highest standards and I am sorry you did not feel that this was achieved. If you would like to discuss this further do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Popped into the Swan on a summer Sunday visit to Lavenham and had a rather lovely lunch in the garden. the service was friendly and attentive and we both had a roast beef lunch , and followed up with summer pudding. Both courses were excellent. On a summer day the small garden area was a great place to while away the afternoon. After tearing ourselves away for some culture, in exploring the lovely village it was back to the Swan for a delightful cream tea.
I had been to Lavenham before and have to say I look forward to returning and would love to use the Swan for a hotel break in this delightful part of Suffolk,
S

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Tony

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I am pleased to read you enjoyed your lunch & afternoon tea in our Suffolk garden, we have been so lucky with the weather. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Bringing my 6ft 6 husband away on a weekend where the doorways are almost chest height for him maybe wasn't the best plan, or it wouldn't have been had this hotel not been so good. We stayed on their package offer which I felt was excellent value - superior room, 3 course dinner, continental breakfast and afternoon tea for £130 each. The room was spacious although as the hotel is so old, and I'm a light sleeper, the floorboards creaked outside our room (no 57) so I was glad to have ear plugs. We were also looking out straight over the road which was rather noisy with the windows open especially as people seem to drive quite fast through Lavenham
The food at the hotel was absolutely excellent - we were visiting for our 2 year anniversary but as we were on a package I really wasn't expecting the food to be that good. The tuna carpaccio was incredible, the cod outstanding and the ice creams delicious. On the Sunday we needed to leave earlier than expected and the manager was very accomodating, allowing us to put the £17 from our cream tea that we were due to have, towards a lunch which was perfect. All in all an excellent stay. My only recommendation to the hotel would be to have more information on walks in the area, it's such a pretty area to explore and although I'm not saying they should hand out OS maps, it would be great to have a rough map/directions to make the most of the Lavenham area. Next time we will bring one and look forward to returning.

2  Thank moonbaby250
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Moonbaby

Congratulations on your two year anniversary. I am pleased to read the character of the hotel with a few quirky doorways did not distract from the overall enjoyment. Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back, we will ensure we have a few more walking ideas ready with the reception team!

Ingo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
#1 of 3 in Long Melford
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
#1 of 8 in Newmarket

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham? Share your experiences!