“Check it out”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lavenham
Suffolk
“Check it out”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Hidden away in the depths of sleepy Suffolk, in a picture postcard village, this hotel provides a standard of accommodation, comfort and service that is, quite simply, excellent. Every member of staff member seems to be 'hardwired' to help ensure that one's stay at the hotel is a good one.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to share them, I will pass your feedback onto the team; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Ingo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Swan is a bit of a landmark and we'd wanted to come for ages, which might be why I was a little disappointed with some aspects of our visit (though I've gone with 4* overall).

The room was faultless: spotless, characterful, with beams and low ceilings - everything you'd hope for from such a historic location. The staff were polite and helpful, and thought ahead in various ways: for example, they blocked off some tables in the lounge for residents to sit at in the afternoon, even though they were making a killing from serving afternoon tea for visitors and could easily have given the table we found to higher-spending customers than our cups of tea offered them. We really appreciated this.

I think the real downside was the restaurant. We ate at the Brudenell Hotel in Aldeburgh the day before - the sister hotel to The Swan - and it was just so much better, and for less money. We were on the DBB deal, and our reservation still wasn't right when we arrived, in spite of my having phoned in advance twice to check on it. However, the receptionist managed to do this when we arrived with minimum fuss. I was quite restricted with what I could eat on the DBB menu and the staff were really unaccommodating in terms of what they would offer me instead. Their only suggestion was to upgrade to the a la carte menu for another £25, which on top of the cost of the room, the fact that I'd already paid for dinner, felt pretty inflexible. The food was fine, but no more than fine for the price. There could be much more creativity with attention to details here: there's a lot of effort to produce a beautiful water jug but not much attention to filling it up, for example; to give another, the bread rolls feel lumpen and defrosted when a simple slice of fresh granary bread wouldn't cost any more but would be so much nicer. It felt like a case of style over substance.

I'd come back and stay in a heatbeat, but I'd eat elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to share you constructive feedback with us. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and you appreciated the history. However I am sorry to read that your dinner did not live up to your expectation, if you would like to discuss this further with me personally please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back in the near future where I hope we can address any issues.

Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Isn't it lovely to stay in an real Olde English Hotel where the staff cannot do enough for you.!
The rooms, service and food are beyond excellent.
We came to the Swan for our 35th Wedding Anniversary with all our close family and we could not have chosen a more suitable place.
Outstanding!

Room Tip: At the moment the Swan is undergoing building work to aquire a Spa to their already excellent hotel...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear JMac

Thank you for your kind comments. I am ever so pleased to read we helped make your special occasion that bit more special and we look forward to welcoming you back. Congratulations.

Yvonne
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The customer service offered by this cohesive team here is second to none. Each team member is approachable, friendly and he or she anticipates the needs of the guest in a genuine, logical and empathetic manner. They go the extra mile to get things right.
On the day I arrived at the hotel purely as a day guest, there was a power outage in the entire village due to a large storm which also meant transport links to London were cancelled. The staff were so hospitable, understanding, allowing me to seek refuge in the hotel. I was very well looked after. It was a great marketing exercise to be honest, because I will certainly go back and stay there when in the area. The great ambiance in the hotel is enhanced from celebrating the heritage of the building, so there is this great sense of history, but in a contemporary time. Extremely comfortable, clean, well run. The restaurant chefs looked very on top of their game too.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Tanya

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I am pleased to read you were looked after so well. We look forward to welcoming you back to experience the Swan at is best.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

After a hard few months we booked a break at this charming Suffolk hotel. We were upgraded to a suite complete with beams and traditional architecture. It was the closest hotel we have seen in the UK to a Spanish Parador.
The hospitality was first class and we were treated like honoured guests. The menu was good and the food excellent. Certainly take the cream tea if you can.
We will return, hopefully after the spa has been finished.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
IngoWiangke, General Manager at Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Tony

Thank you for your kind comments and I am glad we helped make your break relaxing and you felt like honoured guests. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Lavenham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

For the location you'd think the hotel and bar would be rammed, but quite the opposite. I like the bar because its quiet friendly and in the evenings almost peaceful. To be fair, pick the wrong night with a wedding party and you can disregard the above. But if you want some local history, links to ww2, and a friendly environment , give the swan a go.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Mike

Thank you for kind comments, the bar really is a unique setting and one we cherish at the hotel. I am pleased you appreciate it as a loyal visitor.

Bletchley
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Members of my family were tired of only meeting up at funerals, so in 2004 we decided to have a family get together each year at a different location. Our choice in 2013 was The Swan Hotel, Lavenham. We booked bed, breakfast, afternoon tea and an evening meal for six double and two single rooms, and the hotel were able to offer us a private dining room, and reserved a lounge area in the hotel for us to gather in on arrival and sit in before and after our meals. Our rooms were beautiful, the private dining room, meal, and service that we received from the young lady who looked after us was impeccable, as was breakfast and lunch the following day. I cannot fault the hotel in any way, and the standard of service that we received from every member of staff was fantastic. It will be a hard act to follow for next years get together.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear BletchleyG

Thank you for your kind comments, I will pass these onto the team. I am glad we helped make your family get together so memorable and I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Ingo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sudbury
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
#1 of 8 in Newmarket

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham? Share your experiences!