“Period ambiance with 21st century standards”

Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lavenham
Lavenham
“Period ambiance with 21st century standards”
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Wow! I have finally got round to putting this on. I love the creaky beams, the lovely fires in winter with that indefinable smell of woodsmoke outside in the village, the wonderful food. I have stayed and eaten at The Swan for over 40 years (I first went as a child in case readers think I am 110 years old!). The current owners and management have got it 99.9% right. John the Manager has that personable touch which shows he really cares. The food in the Garden room as I call it and the Great Hall Dining room are both excellent and and extra bonus in the main dining room is the talented Andrea playing the piano. I last took my French cousin and in the break she came across, introduced herself and after a pleasant chat she had established enough of my and my cousin's taste in music to play some of our favourites. I can thoroughly recommend the hotel, the food, the music (I think Andrea only plays on Saturday evenings and Sunday lunchtimes) .I am a regular customer because it is good.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank HenryKLavenham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Londonderry, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Just stayed for one night before moving on to a coastal hotel in the same group. Lavenham is an enchanting village/town and The Swan is part of this whole experience. Full of charm and features but with all 'mod cons' available in a very 'comfy' room. Brasserie menu a bit restricted and pricey. Breakfast served to the table, not buffet, therefore tasted accordingly. Service time could therefore be a problem at busy times (as warned in hotel info) but sit and relax and enjoy the beautiful room.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed 24 October 2010

My husband treated me to a night in this absolutely gorgeous hotel. I have always wanted to stay there and was not disappointed. Our room was beautiful, the staff were polite and attentive, the meal in the evening was the best I have ever had, and the breakfast in the morning was devine. I absolutely recommend this hotel. I really hope I can stay there again, but next time for a little longer :-) Ps. Lavenham is also very beautiful,and the surrounding villages are out of this world!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We stayed in a junior suite in this Gem of a hotel for a two night leisure break. Lavenham must be one of the most picturesque places to stay in England. The Swan is very quaint, full of character and history with a good choice of lounge areas to relax in for coffee or the treat of afternoon tea. Our suite was very comfortable, tastefully decorated and furnished and had all facilities required. The bathroom was also excellent and well appointed. We ate in the restaurant on both nights and had two delicious dinners plus enjoyable full english breakfasts on both mornings. We found all staff helpful, polite and attentive but not intrusive. From start to finish, the whole experience was excellent and we hope to return for further stays at the Swan in the future and would highly recommend this lovely hotel to all.

London
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We discovered The Swan in 2008 and fell in love with the Hotel. We decided to have our wedding at The Swan there and then. Kate the Wedding Cordinator was brilliant and I can't praise her enough for all the hard work and patience to help us organise this special day. Kate held our hand with helpful suggestions and at no time did we feel pressured. Kate made sure everyone from the Hotel who was invloved in our wedding were introduced to us and we felt we had a great team behind us all the way. From John the Restaurant Manager, Stephane his Deputy and Chef meant that everyone knew what we wanted on the day. The wedding was perfect in every way. All the staff made all our guest so welcome and we felt like a big family on the day. The food was perfect, the Hotel beautiful, staff so attentive - a perfect day. We can't say enough about this Hotel it is so comfortable and it is probably the most beutiful Hotel we have every stayed in. The rooms are lovely and if anyone is to stay here we would recomend an upgrade to either a feature room or junior suite for that added little luxury. For the little extra it is well worth it. The food is brilliant and can't be faulted with a breakfast fit for a king. But we think the staff are the best thing about this hotel. We know so many of them on first name terms and the welcome and help you get makes you feel really at home. We will be visting on a regular basis through the coming years and we have also promised ourselves that we will stay at The Swan on every wedding aniversary.

Haverhill,Suffolk
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Me & my new hubby stayed at the Swan Hotel back in May as we got married at Hedingham Castle that is about 15 min drive away. We booked a four poster room as it was for our wedding night & the room was beautiful-although it was expensive but well worth the money!
On arrival to our room at about 1am we had a bottle of wine & chocolates with a congratulations card from the hotel waiting on our bed which I thought was a very nice touch. The room itself was on the ground floor & very large with the huge four poster bed, sofa area with tv, dressing room & large bathroom. The room was fantastic, really romantic. The only thing that I could moan about was that the room & bathroom were freezing & could not figure out how to put the heating on!
In the morning the hotel were great & arranged for us to have breakfast in bed(very nice!) as I had some how managed to leave my overnight bag at the Castle! Had to leave the Swan in my wedding dress- I was so embarrassed!
I work for Thomas Cook & have been lucky enough to stay in some very nice hotels & this is definitely one of them. The Swan is expensive for a break, but would definitely recommend for a special occasion its wonderful!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shel_8
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2010

The Swan is a perfect place to escape from the city for a relaxing weekend. From a plate if sandwiches in the bar, through dinner in the excellent restaurant to the four poster bed everything smooth and relaxing.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
#1 of 8 in Newmarket
Tuddenham Mill
Tuddenham Mill
#1 of 1 in Tuddenham

Been to Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham? Share your experiences!