“Awful”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Lavenham, United Kingdom
“Awful”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Famous fish pie a dried out bowl of mash with no sauce, no flavour and precious little fish. Hint of salmon was the only evidence of fish.
The manager Mr. Stephen was too busy on an "important" call to speak to an obviously unimportant customer !
Eat elsewhere as this place is a joke.

Visited February 2014

Egham
“Lovely place shame about the staff party”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here recently for a friend's wedding. Lovely hotel, with great service and excellent food at a reasonable price. However, we unfortunately were kept awake into the early hours by a very noisy staff party down stairs! They were good enough to take the room off our bill in the morning when we complained, so fair enough. Would recommend restaurant and B&B.

• Visited September 2013
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent evening”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently had an evening meal at the Angel while having a short break in the area. the food and the service were excellent. Yes, it might not be a pub, but it is a very good restaurant.

Southend-on-Sea
“Good hearty food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

After eating at the great house the day before which was fantastic and having eaten outs a fair bit in the preceding week whilst on holiday we both fancied some good honest hearty food somewhere that was a little more informal with a nice atmosphere. The angel fit the bill perfectly.

We had been in for a nice drink the night before and decided to book. The staff seemed friendly, interior was nice and the manager excellent and very warm and engaging.

Arrived early and enjoyed a couple of pints of spindrift and the wife a nice dry rose. Again the staff were very friendly and were clearly trying hard to make a good impression. Read some negative reviews of staff but this was certainly not what we experienced on both nights.

My wife wanted the salmon fillet but to swap the new potatoes for skinny chips and to have vine toms which came with the steak. The manager said no problem and that most things were possible within reason. All of this was said with a smile and some banter.

I had fixed menu and had Cumberland sausages, creamed mash, buttered peas and onion gravy. Simple and essentially pub food but was delicious and best sausages and mash I've ever had. Three sausages were very nice, mash was creamy and lovely and peas were delicious as was the gravy which they gave me more of in a pot. Unhealthy I'm sure but enjoyable. Wife's salmon was perfectly cooked and she also enjoyed her main very much.

I had banana mess and wife Eton mess for afters which were both lovely. The banana mess was disgustingly nice! Lovely chantilly cream, ice cream, banana and caramel.

Finished off with a glass of port and a baileys. £66 in total for a great two course meal, three pints, two wines and two spirits. Pretty good value I'd say.

Great House is superior to be fair but also twice the price and I wouldn't say we enjoyed that twice as much. We had a lovely meal which hit the spot, enjoyable evening and good service. It is not fine dining which is perhaps what people expect and I don't think having MPWs name above the door helps. But it is certainly good home cooked pub style food at fair prices.

As I say manager was also very good and dealt with a table of complainers well and professionally whilst we were there. Why do people wait until end of their meal to complain about a bad steak?

1 Thank crash1981
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We booked this restaurant to round off the good week we had on holiday locally. With MPW's name advertising this place we were expecting a food lovers delight. Upon arrival we were offered a drink and no where to sit. There were flies everywhere. I thought it was because were standing near the door. Upon being seated (not shown to the table just pointed in the direction of). They continued to buzz around us! The Maitre D said 'I'm afraid they are here to stay, we have had them looked at but they are part of the building'! The food was very mediocre. We ordered the rib eye steak and my husband asked for rare. It came more cooked than my medium! The staff were indifferent really and I have had better food for far less cost! The tables wobbled, the tablecloths were far too big for the table and tripped me up as I went to the toilet. From start to finish the experience was a real let down! Then I went to the ladies, no toilet roll, sticky floor, mucky! We left feeling really let down and I would absolutely not go back. Such a disappointing end to our week. I recommend the Indian down the road! Perfect service, cleanliness and half the cost!

1 Thank Gilly C