Checked in for 1 night as on business in the area, and could not find any vacancies in the price bracket elsewhere.
The car park is quite small, only holding about 6/7 cars, so it's better to get in early?
Check in went well and I booked a superior deluxe room, which turned out to be room 11 in a building next door to the pub.
The hallway and stairs to the room are shabby to say the least, attention to detail, or even a good vacuum would be an improvement!
The room itself was light and quite large, an unused Victorian open fireplace looked superb, but the room was let down by a cheap faux leather 2 sweeter sofa in front of a mid 1980 old style TV.
The net curtains had not been hung by a professional, or by anyone that cared, or was possibly registered blind?
The bathroom was clean, the shower hot and 2 sets of fresh towels were provided.
Breakfast next morning was quite poor, the cutlery and crockery on the table was not cleaned properly, the napkins looked like they had been previously used and then revolved (I am not exaggerating)!
Only one member of staff seemed to be working the breakfast service, covering the reception, service and the kitchen.
I can assume that only the egg was cooked to order going by the speed at which it came from the kitchen, the bacon could have been from yesterday?
The freshest thing on the plate was a huge sprig of cla leaf parsley.
The tea was poor quality, and only one tea bag, 1 slice of toast came to the table with chopped up pieces of butter in a galvanised tin pot.
No offer of a refill or more toast was offered.
On the whole, the room was clean, the bathroom was clean(ish), but the breakfast was poor.
A few little details addressed would make it worth the £66-£90 per room that they charge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A True East Anglian Inn! A traditional Inn with 14 bedrooms all but one of which are en-suite. We pride ourselves on the warmth of our welcome to all guests and 'regulars.' Our food is fantastic, traditional English style fayre and the bar is as popular with locals as it is with visitors. Almost uniquely to Long Melford, we offer live entertainment throughout the year for your enjoyment. There is ample parking at the rear and a large garden as well as a huge patio area with an equally huge, heated parasol. A quick pint, a family get together or a week's holiday - whatever the occasion ...We look forward to welcoming you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, LateRooms and Ebookers so you can book your The George & Dragon Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The George And Dragon Inn
- The George & Dragon Hotel Long Melford
- The George & Dragon Inn Long Melford, Suffolk