“Week-end Break”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Long Melford
San Francisco
“Week-end Break”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Good value Hotel, very informal and relaxed. Although old and quirky no complaints and a pleasant week-end. Food was good and nicely served. If the weather is fine the courtyard at the side of the Hotel with Umbrella covered tables and relaxed seating is a nice additional touch together with a small trickling water feature.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked partly the road and outside courtyard and location was pleasant enough in Hall S...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding reception nearby. We were in the annex, which was very noisy when our adjoining neighbours returned at 1am and couldn't get their key to work. This of course is not the hotelliers fault. The room itself was clean, but the bathroom floor could have been cleaner. I think it would be best to ask to be in the main building, which is full of character with many original features. The staff could not have been more helpful and extremely polite. Breakfast was excellent. If in the area, I would probably stay here again, but would insist on a room inside the main building. Eight five pounds is a little expensive though for the quality of the room we were in.

Room Tip: Insist on a room inside the actual hotel, and not the annex.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Salford
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We have stayed here many times and have never been disappointed. It is an old building with creaky floors but we prefer this to the more modern hotels. There is an annexe at the back of the building with about 5 contemporary rooms but this time we were put in the pub itself, which was very nice and which had a four poster bed. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The owner and staff were very friendly and welcoming. The breakfasts were really good and we enjoyed the evening meals. Lunches are also served and the menu is quite varied. There is a courtyard at the side with large canopies, and meals can be taken here. There is lighting so you can sit outside in the evening as well as during the day. Long Melford is a lovely place with many old buildings and we will be going back there again at some future date.

Room Tip: We have stayed in one of the upstairs rooms in the annexe and also in the pub itself. The annexe ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
kent
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We've recently moved into Long Melford and have tried most of the other pubs and restaurants. Whilst the Crown always looks full when we walk past, until last weekend, we hadn't been in. If I'm honest, I find the yellow paint colour a bit off putting. Thursday night wasn't particularly busy but we were welcomed warmly and shown to a table in the restaurant overlooking a lovely pond and open terrace. Elise our waitress was fantastic, really chatty! The food was better than expected. The pork and apple terrine was slightly dry but tasted fine and the sage leaf garnish was fried to perfection - very difficult to achieve. The main of sea bass with chorizo was fresh and tasty. My husband had duck and again, it was well cooked - just pink as it should be. Perhaps because it wasn't busy it missed the spot in terms of ambience but the restaurant was clean and the food of a good standard.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank countrygirlKent
London
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I spent one night here after going to a wedding. I had the 'Soup of the Day' for lunch which I was told was tomato and herb. One assumes that soup of the day is freshly made but you didn't need to be Gordon Ramsey to smell and taste this was clearly from a tin or mass catering bought soup with a cheap and again not fresh or even warm bread roll.
If they can't get this right I thought, I'll give the rest a miss!
Our room defied belief for a 'hotel' room in 2012.
I can see why the website has no photos of any bedrooms on it!
The furniture and bed was so old and rickety it looked like it had been bought 30 years ago from a car boot sale, house clearance or junk shop..it probably had.
I'm 6"4" so my shins and feet hung off the end of my ancient child size bed all night.
There were no towel rails in the bathroom so our clean towels were left in a tray on the bathroom floor, there was nowhere to hang them if we wanted to use them again.
The bath towels were ancient and so small we mistook them for hand towels.
We missed breakfast because it only ran for an hour and a half, so at 9.30am, not an unreasonable time to want breakfast on a sunday we found we had missed it.
On the upside the room was clean and you could park right outside for a speedy exit...

Room Tip: Sleep somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Toby W
London
Reviewed 13 February 2012

To the Crown on a very cold Friday evening for a bite to eat, not our first choice but that was full and we hadn't booked. I must admit that the Crown is rarely my first choice as a venue to eat but on the occasions I have, I have often been surprised as to how good the food can be. On this occasion we had a perfectly acceptable meal which I couldn’t really fault but we still felt underwhelmed by the experience. Maybe it’s the fact that the rather dark restaurant area is now looking a little tired and dated or perhaps it is the amateurish waiting staff who really need to be be trained how to speak to paying guests or the general lack of ambience when you walk into the bar from the street. I heard a quote recently along the lines that great service could save an average kitchen but that poor front of house could not save a great kitchen and I think there is an element of that going on here. For whatever reason the current set up does not work for me and I won’t be rushing back as a result.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 200911
Norfolk
Reviewed 28 November 2011

To be fair for the price the accommodation was acceptable, however it is not as smart as it appears on the internet. The first room I was given was not good (ground floor, small and with a door straight onto the car-park) may have a smoker but left me feeling rather vulnerable. However I did ask to move to a different room and there was no problem with this. My second room was much better. Above the bar and facing the street so some noise as expected, but not excessive and a very pleasant room. The dining room looks like it has been recently refurbished and the restaurant was fine. Breakfast was poor though.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Bell Hotel
Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clare
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!