“Overpriced and very dated”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Long Melford
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Having paid £85 for a room I was expecting at least an average level of room. However, the room I received was small, incredibly dated and generally of pretty poor quality.

The staff were very friendly though which was nice! Just a shame that the rooms couldn't have been given a bit more attention. The room I stayed in could pass as a single.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 October 2012

This is an decent place. The room was clean, and recently refurbished nicely. I was in room 15, a very large room at the back of the pub. It was quiet and warm, with plenty of natural light. Breakfast was a highlight, good quality, cooked to order, and very importantly for me anyway, the poached eggs were properly poached, not cooked in some kind of ramekin nonsense. My daughter had enough smoked salmon to choke a seal, so she was happy.

The Crown is convenient to Smeethan Hall Barn, a local wedding venue, and reason I was in Long Melford in the first place.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Good value Hotel, very informal and relaxed. Although old and quirky no complaints and a pleasant week-end. Food was good and nicely served. If the weather is fine the courtyard at the side of the Hotel with Umbrella covered tables and relaxed seating is a nice additional touch together with a small trickling water feature.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked partly the road and outside courtyard and location was pleasant enough in Hall S...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding reception nearby. We were in the annex, which was very noisy when our adjoining neighbours returned at 1am and couldn't get their key to work. This of course is not the hotelliers fault. The room itself was clean, but the bathroom floor could have been cleaner. I think it would be best to ask to be in the main building, which is full of character with many original features. The staff could not have been more helpful and extremely polite. Breakfast was excellent. If in the area, I would probably stay here again, but would insist on a room inside the main building. Eight five pounds is a little expensive though for the quality of the room we were in.

Room Tip: Insist on a room inside the actual hotel, and not the annex.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We have stayed here many times and have never been disappointed. It is an old building with creaky floors but we prefer this to the more modern hotels. There is an annexe at the back of the building with about 5 contemporary rooms but this time we were put in the pub itself, which was very nice and which had a four poster bed. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The owner and staff were very friendly and welcoming. The breakfasts were really good and we enjoyed the evening meals. Lunches are also served and the menu is quite varied. There is a courtyard at the side with large canopies, and meals can be taken here. There is lighting so you can sit outside in the evening as well as during the day. Long Melford is a lovely place with many old buildings and we will be going back there again at some future date.

Room Tip: We have stayed in one of the upstairs rooms in the annexe and also in the pub itself. The annexe ro...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We've recently moved into Long Melford and have tried most of the other pubs and restaurants. Whilst the Crown always looks full when we walk past, until last weekend, we hadn't been in. If I'm honest, I find the yellow paint colour a bit off putting. Thursday night wasn't particularly busy but we were welcomed warmly and shown to a table in the restaurant overlooking a lovely pond and open terrace. Elise our waitress was fantastic, really chatty! The food was better than expected. The pork and apple terrine was slightly dry but tasted fine and the sage leaf garnish was fried to perfection - very difficult to achieve. The main of sea bass with chorizo was fresh and tasty. My husband had duck and again, it was well cooked - just pink as it should be. Perhaps because it wasn't busy it missed the spot in terms of ambience but the restaurant was clean and the food of a good standard.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank countrygirlKent
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I spent one night here after going to a wedding. I had the 'Soup of the Day' for lunch which I was told was tomato and herb. One assumes that soup of the day is freshly made but you didn't need to be Gordon Ramsey to smell and taste this was clearly from a tin or mass catering bought soup with a cheap and again not fresh or even warm bread roll.
If they can't get this right I thought, I'll give the rest a miss!
Our room defied belief for a 'hotel' room in 2012.
I can see why the website has no photos of any bedrooms on it!
The furniture and bed was so old and rickety it looked like it had been bought 30 years ago from a car boot sale, house clearance or junk shop..it probably had.
I'm 6"4" so my shins and feet hung off the end of my ancient child size bed all night.
There were no towel rails in the bathroom so our clean towels were left in a tray on the bathroom floor, there was nowhere to hang them if we wanted to use them again.
The bath towels were ancient and so small we mistook them for hand towels.
We missed breakfast because it only ran for an hour and a half, so at 9.30am, not an unreasonable time to want breakfast on a sunday we found we had missed it.
On the upside the room was clean and you could park right outside for a speedy exit...

Room Tip: Sleep somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
#3 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#6 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!