“Great weekend at the Black Lion”
Review of Black Lion Hotel

Black Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Long Melford
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I booked the Black Lion for my partner`s birthday , having stayed at the hotel some 10 years ago, and stopped off for breakfast 3 years ago, and on both occasions was very impressed.
We had a great weekend this Oct. `13, due to excellent service, good food and a warm, friendly atmosphere. Michael, the hotel manager, was very obliging, helpful and understanding.
The food is very good, portions a little on the small side, but beautifully cooked and presented.
We just felt our room, The Tokay room, could have had a bigger double bed, and was in need of a bit of re-decorating. But it is a lovely hotel with bags of charm and character, and I would always recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: Sancerre suite is lovely.

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2-night stay which with our Travelzoo voucher was excellent value. We stayed in the lovely Chablis room, large with a comfy four-poster bed and a very nice bathroom. Although the hotel is on a busy road we weren't at all bothered by traffic noise in our room. The staff are helpful and friendly, particularly the manager Michael and we had excellent food both at breakfast (one of the best hotel breakfasts we've had) and at dinner where my dietary requirements were taken on board with no fuss at all and we had very good wine. We really enjoyed sitting in the cosy bar with drinks and nibbles reading our books - bliss! All in all a great experience, would thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Long Melford is well placed for the tourist.

We chose the Black Lion based on its website, which made it look so good. What was not apparent was the main road and a junction immediately outside, with occasional heavy transport almost throughout the night. We had asked for a bed bigger than standard. There was only one such room, and it overlooked this road. After a disturbed first night we closed window and secondary glazing in the early hours and accepted nil ventilation. With autumn temperatures.this largely solved the problem,

The manager was very helpful and later in the week was able to offer a quieter but smaller room at the back of the building, but we decided to stay put.

On the plus side, our bathroom was first class ( though spoiled by dirt on the floor behind the door, which remained throughout our stay, and the lack of a shower cap). Our bedroom lacked a dressing table chair-the armchairs being too low .

Meals were excellent and generous, with a very good choice at breakfast and dinner, and reasonably priced. The ambiance in the bar, where all guests ate, was cosy and relaxed, with tables laid to meet restaurant standards. ( The dining room which looked rather special on the website, was a soulless room which no one used).

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and made a big contribution to our enjoyment of a five day stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south (front) side suffer traffic noise.Rooms at the back, and perhaps those at the sid...
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife and I travelled an hour to stay here on a Travelzoo deal as it seemed such good value (£160 for 2 I think). This included afternoon tea, 6 course tasting menu (coffee is a course), Bed and breakfast.
The food was excellent. scones were fresh and large (with Tiptree Jams); the tasting menu food was top London restaurant quality and just enough to be full at the end; the wines were very good and reasonably priced and the breakfast was served, fresh and great quality. So all great on that front.
Staff were all friendly, helpful and welcoming. It is a small hotel (maybe 10/12 rooms or so) so don't expect lots of staff all over - but the few that do, do it very well.
There were slightly tatty areas to the hotel but I thought this added more to the charm than detracted. The furniture was great, solid, antique like and very comfortable.
It was slightly noisy in the bedrooms, not from the road outside for us (which did not effect us), but some walls were maybe a little thin between bedrooms.
At these prices we would definitely go back - and it is a lovely friendly place to explore Suffolk\Essex countryside. But I would maybe not ordinarily pay £65 for the tasting menu - although the standard menu looked lovely and good prices.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

My wife, my dog and I stayed at this wonderful hotel and restaurant. I cannot think of a time when I have been treated to such excellent service. The staff throughout were a credit to Michael, the General Manager, and his belief in a high standard of service and the quality and taste of the surroundings were among the best we have experienced.

This is a dog friendly hotel and our 4 legged pet was welcomed just as warmly as we were and of course, there was Melford the dog.

Our room was very clean, tastefully decorated and furnished. The large bath and ample bathroom adding to the relaxing atmosphere. The bed gave us both a good night sleep and was comfortable and cosy.

The food, at dinner in the evening and at breakfast, were of the highest quality and there was an excellent choice of freshly cooked and locally sourced food (we were lucky to be there for the British Food Festival and the stew and dumplings, it wasn't called that by the way, was the best I have eaten).

If you are looking for quality and service, this is the place to go. We couldn't fault any part of our stay and will be returning whenever we visit our relations in the area.

Room Tip: Most rooms overlook the green to the front and side. All are quiet and tastefully furnished up to f...
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My Husband purchased a Travel Zoo Voucher as a treat for us both in early September, we were checked into the Tokay Room. The cream tea and dinner we received were of outstanding quality and the service from the staff was impeccable and courteous.

Our problem started when we went to bed, my skin started burning and itching, causing me to scratch all over. After midnight I was unable to lie in bed as my skin felt it was on fire and when I went into the bathroom I saw the skin on my chest had red welts all over it. By 3am, as I couldn't sleep, I got the two bath towels out of the bedroom and lay one over the bottom sheet and used the other sheet as a cover. This gave some temporary relief and slightly lessened the discomfort but certainly I suffered a very uncomfortable night.

We regularly enjoy hotel breaks and I had never had such an experience in a hotel room before. I know that I am very mildly allergic to pet hair and insect bites so, I am probably more careful around pets, particularly not allowing them to sleep or lay on the bed in bedrooms, but in the past have kept cats as pets.

The next morning, I spoke with the chambermaid and asked her if the hotel had a policy of letting dogs sleep in all of the guest rooms. She cheerfully confirmed this was the case and pointed to a dog bed which lay on the floor of the room she was servicing. The penny dropped as to the why I had had such a horrendous night in the Tokay Room; there must have been a dog sleeping in the room previously. When I returned to the room, I checked the bed cover and sure enough saw small ginger animal airs stuck in the weaving of the material. I then saw that where my husband had left his trousers on the floor, they were covered in the same short ginger animal hairs. I also noted the hotel used wool blankets on the bed instead of using duvets and again, saw animal hairs on this too.

I checked the Reception for some sort of sign to Hotel Guests to advise them that “dogs are allowed in all guest rooms policy”; I saw nothing. Reception was busy and I needed to get anti-histamine fast. When we got home, I immediately wrote to the hotel setting out the above issue and asking for a refund of my travel zoo voucher (but not the petrol spent or the drinks billed we additionally incurred) as I believed the Hotel failed to inform their dog policy to customers and not making this clear when bookings are made. A few days later the manager contacted me and apologised saying if I had told him I was allergic he would have put me in a "non-doggy" room. When I pointed out that the chambermaid had told me EVERY room allowed dogs, he dismissed this as untrue. I also politely pointed out that, unless the hotel makes its dog policy clear to its guests, it may find that an asthma sufferer could come out a lot worse than I did (with a law suit to follow)!

The manager said he would speak with the hotel owner and, a few days later, the manager contacted me again but this time he adopted a different tone. He said the hotel certainly had no intention of refunding my voucher as I had ate their food and that trip advisor’s commission was too high as it was. He said that it was my fault and I should have told him about my allergy; I argued saying that if I had seen a doggy notice in Reception I would be alerted! He said that they would make the “Doggy in the rooms” policy clearer to future guests but the best he would offer me was that, if I booked (and paid for) another stay, he would “upgrade” my room and make sure it was cleaned of animal fur this time!

Upon contact Travelzoo, I am advised that any "issues" should be taken up with the hotel direct; which was done in this case.

Suffice it to say, I am extremely disappointed that a hotel which is very protective of its reputation and customer concerns was so dismissive in its dealings with me. Let’s face it, whilst owners may tell the dogs to stay on the floor, most dogs love to sneak on beds for a sleep and, if I had known this, I would certainly never have bought the travel zoo voucher.

In summary, be warned this is a "dog friendly" hotel; this means that dogs are permitted to sleep in the guest bedrooms (and invariably on the beds too). If you have any problem with this practice then I hope at least you are now better prepared to make your final decision to stay than I was.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank convey766
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My husband brought me to the Black Lion for some rest and recuperation from a recent operation. The welcome was very warm and friendly. We had a travelzoo offer and I have to say we will definitely book this one again if it comes up!

We were in the Julienass room, very bright, clean and the bed, very comfy. Breakfast was definitely a winner - the sausages were delicious!

We had a Kir Royale cream tea and that was really yummy and made all the more special because the staff went out of their way to provide me with a dairy free alternative. We opted to have the Kir Royale with our evening meal and this made a lovely touch to our enjoyment.

The evening meal (6 course taster) was superb and we had the same on both evenings and the consistency was spot-on. Brilliant and thank you Chef! We thank ALL of the staff as well as Nicky, Ryan and Marlow for making our stay such a super one. We will see you again soon - I hope!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#3 of 3 in Long Melford
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to Black Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!