All reviews baked alaska sunday lunch lunch experience overlooking the green cauliflower cheese village green new owners staff were attentive three courses top floor lamb lovely location sandwiches cooked breakfast warm welcome high standard afternoon tea
Reviewed 12 November 2017

Just re opened was in need of refurbishment, the new owners have gone to great lengths to re position the offering and style of the establishment, so far it is looking good for the future, some drinks( glasses of wine expensive) food was good and well presented staff very helpful and efficient, tips for food woodpigeon as a starter, and pork loin as a main.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael H
ChestnutGroup, Guest Relations Manager at The Black Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Dear Michael H,

Thanks for the lovely review. We are delighted to glad you enjoyed your experience with us.

I will pass on all your kind words to our team!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 8 November 2017

The Black Lion Hotel cancelled our wedding this year prior to the refurbishment. They called 6 weeks before the day and cancelled our whole wedding. We were disgusted at the way we were treated as they must have known this way before they told us. They caused us so much upset and stress, I can't believe this could happen to anyone. I have nothing good to say about this establishment.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank katieturner804
ChestnutGroup, Manager at The Black Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Dear Katie,

We are genuinely sorry for the anguish we caused you as a consequence of being required to refurbish the Black Lion. As we have explained to you previously, we were unaware of any of the business that was booked in although we were completely aware of the decision we made regarding your wedding on the morning of us taking over. We were simply not able to honour your booking and for this we apologise. I hope your wedding was a success and you are able to now look to the future.

With very best wishes,

Steve Smith
Group General Manager

Reviewed 4 November 2017

We had dinner for two of us on an evening shortly after it had opened under its new management. The refurbishment had definitely improved the look of the interior but the business is now, in my opinion, aimed at a much younger clientele than the likes of us. We ate in the main dining room which now has a wooden floor rather than carpet and the noise from other groups on adjacent tables was so loud we were unable to converse with one another without raising our voices. probably a table in what is called the Conservatory would probably be better
The menu was unexciting and the younger members of staff needed much more training in order to become efficient. i cannot comment upon the rooms because we were not staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
ChestnutGroup, Guest Relations Manager at The Black Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Dear 91Milly

Thank you for taking the time to review the Black Lion. I’m sorry you found the menu unexciting; we have had so much fantastic feedback about the food - the Ham Hock and Chicken with Squid dishes in particular. We are not deliberately targeting a younger audience. We have refurbished the Black Lion to the usual ‘Chestnut’ standards and hope that guests of all ages will come and join us for a coffee and catch up with friends through to fantastic food and wine with an overnight stay. As with all new openings, we are on a constant training cycle and I can assure you that all of the team, experienced or new to us, will continue to receive appropriate training.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

I don't often do trip advisor but feel compelled to write about this experience. To my horror the chicken had not defrosted. A great opportunity to treat the wife and daughter. Having not booked we were sceptical about whether we could be accommodated but accommodated we were. A short drink prior to the table being ready have an opportunity to meet a very friendly and clearly experienced barman who's name escapes me for which I must apologise. I could have spent the night talking to him alone about the business and to have staff discuss the place with such passion and with such positivity is great to witness. Without realising the attitude of this employee speaks volumes if the company. You should feel blessed to have him. I would employ him in a heartbeat.

The manager and waitresses were clearly as keen to impress and all spoke very highly of the company. I sincerely hope they are as appreciated by the owners and management ad the customers. It is so refreshing to hear such positivity and so many compliments fro. Employees.

We decided to skip starter thank God. The complimentary breads and dip were very tasty and our nibbles, were both abundant and very pleasant. How many olives?!!!! ( they were epic)
The main was awesome. Bone in Rob of beef cooked to perfection. My daughter had chicken and chips made specially. Thank you for that. What you didn't know is she has been poorly for a week and just wanted to get out of the house and eat at your restaurant. You have made her week! She loved the place. As did we. The decor and style of the design is brilliant.

Everything about the black lion exudes class. Friendly professional staff, clearly eager to aid the business and promote customer experience. A beautiful premises. Great food and reasonably priced. ( eventually and u like some in melford).

Thank you for cheering up my daughter and for squeezing us in. We are very pleased you were able to and will be back. We also tell everyone we know to try you and visit the bar for a drink with your barman. He sets the standard and the rest of it just flows.

Really pleased the chicken was still frozen. My only issue was that I couldn't chew the meat from the Bone!

Keep up the good work.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank MarK G

Dear MarK G,

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We are so glad that we have impressed you on so many levels. We are absolutely delighted to hear such lovely comments about Christian (Our bar man) and i will ensure he reads your review. It is so lovely to hear we cheered your daughter up and that you had such a lovely experience with us.

I will pass on all your kind words to our team!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 29 October 2017

Attended the Black Lion Hotel the night after opening night with a friend, for a meal only. Staff were exceptionally welcoming and very attentive throughout our evening. Food was amazing and our glasses were never empty, exceptional value for money.
We were treated to a viewing of the newly refurbished overnight rooms, these looked high standard and welcoming, shame we reside in the village.
Decor throughout is stunning, definitely worthy of another visit with our partners in the very near future.

Room Tip: All rooms were outstanding.
Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
ChestnutGroup, Guest Relations Manager at The Black Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Dear Carly_0479,

Thanks for the lovely review. We are so glad you visited us for our opening weekend. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience with us!

I will pass on your kind words to our team!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon with your partners.

Kind regards,