“wont be returning” 3 of 5 bubbles

Long Melford Swan
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Long Melford
Price range: US$15 - US$69
Cuisines: British, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A beautiful listed building with a new contemporary feel. A family run business with day to day involvement. A lovely restaurant and bar open from 10:00am, all day and every day. Coffees, snacks, lunch and dinner. Extensive wine list. Fresh ingredients from our suppliers using local producers whereever possible. Prepared specifically by our Chefs, to your requirements.
“wont be returning”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend decided to try somewere different. We booked a table for two at long melford swan. This was on the 9th August, i had the IPA beer battered haddock and my boyfriend had the fillet steak. My meal was absoloutly lovely, and being priced at £14 we found that good on the price. However my boyfriends steak was a bit pathetic, the steak in itself was really tasty and couldnt have asked for it to be cooked any better. But the plate was empty, it had 2 baby carrots and a tiny bit of garnish. We actually had the ask the waiter if that was it or did anything else come with that! For £24 it was completly not worth it! We were staying up the road in the long melford inn (which i highly reccomend!) and after we left the swan to go to the hotel my boyfriend rang a taxi and we went to a kebab shop as he was still starving! Excellent food but seriously need more on the plates it wasnt worth the money at all.

1 Thank kellystuoscar111

“A curate's egg ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

After a wander along the Farrow & Ball colour chart that is the main street of Long Melford, the Swan looked an inviting proposition and the lobster weekend promised a treat for lunch. So with a nice pint of Golden Hen in hand, I ordered six oysters and the lobster thermidor. The oysters were delicious, needing nothing with them to enjoy their flavour. A helping hand in preparation would have been a nice touch, to save wrestling them out of their shells.

Then the lobster arrived, looking very sorry for itself; I felt sorry for the lobster before I started. I looked, and tasted, as if it had a cheese sauce dumped on it, and then popped under the grill. Having to wrestle the meat from the shell wasn't so easy - although the claw had been removed from its shell. As I neared the end, the meat near the bottom almost felt like it had only just been defrosted (perhaps coming down from Norfolk it needed extra freezing?). The accompanying chips were good, but the fiddly salad in a high-sided bowl was designed for style, not for convenience of the customer.

My wife did better by avoiding the temptation of lobster - except for some worrying pink loin of pork.

The coffee at the end - espresso - was good and strong with a delightful crema.

Staff were good, attentive, and friendly – and clearly well-known to many who came in. But the overall effect felt a tad as if they were trying too hard. But then, with the array of Aston Martins, Range Rovers, Mercedes and the like down the road, perhaps they know what their customers expect.

My wife has been before, and is going again, for light lunch which she reported is far better value.

1 Thank AntonyHurden
Long Melford, United Kingdom
“Oh Dear! What a disaster darling”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I decided to use a very generous gift voucher given to us by friends. Things started quite promisingly. All good so far the drinks and both our chosen starter and main course delivered at a reasonably paced time. Great!

The food was acceptable nothing fantastic, but you could not complain. The complimentary bread offered was so small it was not worth the effort and both options rather dry. My wife liked her lobster and prawn cocktail and it seemed good value, my samosa was alright, but overpriced for the content. We had a whole lobster each for our main course. I know we are in Britain, but the offer of a bib when tackling a whole grilled lobster would have been appreciated. However judging from some of the other reviews at least I did get some implements to tackle the job.

My wife’s lobster thermidor looked dry, as this should be in a sauce it did not appear evident to me, anyway she thought the chips were great. My grilled lobster was little dry and over cooked, but no disaster yet.

When presented with a lobster in the shell, I did expect a finger bowl at least to be able to clean up after tackling the claws, obviously the Swan did not agree. Eventually my wife went to the bar as we could not find any waiting staff to request a finger bowl. I believe she was amazed at their response. We don’t provide finger bowls, however after much discussion they relented. However the wait was so long that I resorted to visiting the toilet to wash my hands, yes there was soap and water, but no towels or hand dryer, back to the table to use my napkin to dry my hands.

We were unable to find any waiting staff, all of them running around trying to cope. We had to wait over twenty five minutes after finishing our main course before we received any service. This is a long time to sit and wait with debris from two lobsters sitting in front of you.

Eventually the front of house manager came over to take our plates, when she asked if everything was OK, obviously our reply was no. We explained our tale of woe, to be greeted by the unhelpful reply of we are busy tonight, our response” and that is our problem!” Tried to explain to her that in her position she should be managing the situation to meet a customer’s reasonable expectation. It was like speaking to an automated robot. This lady lacks any customer empathy is arrogant and thoroughly unpleasant. I can only assume this lady trained at the Basil Fawltey School of restaurant management. Oh yes that’s the one in the cream blouse as the previous reviews.

We asked if there was someone we could talk to in charge, but it would appear she was it. I saw no point in continuing the conversation with her as she would not listen or offer any reasonable explanation for the poor service and unhelpful responses we had received, so we paid our £123 bill no tip, first time ever, and left very unhappy customers. I thought maybe I was being a little sensitive, but after reading some other reviews obviously not.

The whole matter was handled very poorly by the management at the Swan. I am disappointed as a resident of Long Melford. I like to think our local business provide good value and service, obviously the customer is not king at the Sawn.

However in these days of social media we can all have our say, and relay our experiences of good and poor service

3 Thank lad2709
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“I Certainly WON'T Be Returning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Having had a late Sunday lunch at The Swan in Long Melford on Sunday August 3rd, my daughter and I were eager to return - this time with her husband and two young sons for a meal over the advertised lobster weekend (August 7th to August 10th).

Well, we have only just got back home - this evening August 9th, 2014 - from what can only be described as one of the most insignificant meals we have had in a long time.BUT, all would have been forgiven if we did not feel - everyone of us - insulted by the Head Waitress. She (the lady in a cream top and black skirt with whom I discussed whether we should have the Gavi di Gavi or the Sancerre Rose) reminded us that our table needed to be vacated at 8pm. She did so MOST UNGALLANTLY at about 735pm. I mentioned to her that we had arrived for the time our table would be ready - at 615pm and that our orders were not taken until after 630pm. (And this only happened because I went up to to a young lady behind the bar to say to her that if we were supposed to be vacating our table at 8pm, then it would be helpful if someone came to take our order quickly). The lady in the cream top very rudely, in our opinion, said that had WE not taken time eating the shell-on prawns (ordered by my grandson and which by the way were rubbery and tasteless), that our main orders would have come earlier. NOTE that there was NO acceptance of any blame for delay in the first place from this lady. There was NO hint of an apology that maybe some blame was the establishment's.

Everyone of us came away completely dissatisfied with our meals BUT ABSOLUTELY DISGRUNTLED AND ANGRY BY THE ATTITUDE OF THAT LADY IN CREAM.

The only saving grace is that the wait staff were absolutely attentive even though rushed off their feet.

To The Swan in Long Melford - thank you BUT no thank you.

H.E. Ms K Palma

2 Thank 466Alex
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Good though Overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I ate here with my wife on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was full. service was fairly prompt and waitresses friendly and informative. Our starters were excellent and original. The hake in my main course was overcooked and my wife's chicken slightly undercooked. Potatoes and vegetables were extra. Desserts were OK, but nothing exceptional. With a modest bottle of wine, our bill came to £125 without a service charge, which we thought a little excessive.

• 5 of 5 bubbles