“Fantastic day out!”
Review of Kentwell Hall

Kentwell Hall
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kentwell Hall is a beautiful moated red brick Tudor Manor House in the historic village of Long Melford, Suffolk. Whilst not a stately home, this 'little great house' remains a lived-in and much-loved family home; something it has been for over 500 years. Surrounded by timbered outbuildings, tranquil gardens and a large estate, Kentwell is popular for family days out, weddings, filming and functions and is noted for its special events programme including living history re-creations and the award-winning Scaresville experience.
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Recently visited Kentwell Hall recreation event.
We had a fantastic day. Walking through the time tunnel in to the grounds really was a bizarre experience for on the other side of the tunnel we truly were transported back in time to the Tudors. All characters in the recreation stay in character throughout and you get to engage in conversation about all kinds of things. While we were there we tried archery, watched pottery and ironworks, had our own crest designed, visited the farm and saw the horses, chickens and goats, visited the main house and gardens and ate at the grill section which was very tasty. We got to try Tudor food and drink and enjoyed learning about how the Tudors lived.
I would recommend this day out, it certainly has enormous educational benefits for school children but for us we enjoyed a completely different day out.

10  Thank Millster2011

Reviewed 20 September 2009

Kentwell Hall was a great place to visit! The house was magnificently done up inside and there were many rooms open and they were all decorated with fantastic detail. The house is surrounded by a huge moat with large fish that were quite entertaining to feed. Lunch was a little limited in options, but considering it was off season in the middle of the week it was okay. The farm was quite entertaining especially some of the animals, but would of like some more range. The gardens were magnificent and extremely well kept, the vegetables and flowers were mouthwatering! All up our visit to Kentwell Hall was a great experience and well worth a visit if you are in the area.

7  Thank judy1762
Reviewed 24 May 2008

Absolutly brilliant! We attended the WW2 event today and I have to say it was absolutly excellent. The tickets for a two adults and one child came to around £29.00 and worth every penny. You joined a community who was a village in WW2. People where dressed this way and throughout the day spoke in this mannor which was not only educational to kids ( my son is 11 and loved it) but fun. Interactive without being pushy, and we loved the WW2 fate with stalls and events which you had to use old money for and prizes given at the end. Guess the waieght if the cake was my favourite, my son loved the dice game, which he won. I have been trying to fing a cut off age for Kentwell, but I have to say I cannot think of one. I recently attended a Tudor day which I have to recomment as it is brilliant!. This is not just a house to look around, if you have a family it is great and how the actors there stay in charactor all day is beyond me. We got there 11.30 and did not leave till 16.45, because we did not want to hit traffic. It also does not have arcades or extra costs which bordam brings with some of the branded places you come by either. Good fun and a day out. Checkwebsite for events.

6  Thank Jane F
Reviewed 15 August 2007

Visited Kentwell Hall today with my husband and 3 children, entry cost £36 which we thought was high. Having driven from Norfolk and it being lunch time we thought that we would have a spot of lunch before starting the tour. Of the 3 sites marked as places to eat only one was open, and before we could even get through the door we were told bluntly that the staff were not 'ready' to start serving food.

We had to settle for a drink and the youngest had a piece of cake (very small, and clearly leftovers from the day before). 2 cups (not mugs) of tea, 2 small coffees, a tiny glass of squash and the thinest slice of sponge cake came to £10! Hubby was secretly pleased that the food was off :)

By the time we had finished our break, the two teenage girls who were 'the staff' had still not organised themselves to a state where they could offer lunches so we left to start the tour of the hall...

From the outside the hall is impressive, looks every inch the tudor home, evoking memories of Hampton Court. A wonderful moat to look at complete with numerous carp, all with gaping mouths. It looked very promising indeed.

However, there was no guided tour (not even an optional extra), there was very little information to read,nothing really set the scene or helped put things into context, we found ourselves becoming more and more confused as we progressed on the tour (which wasn't a tour, rather, a directionless ramble).

There were a pleasing number of rooms to look at, several 'off limits' rooms were scattered over the house, many more doors were simply locked with no notice on them at all.

Precious little remains from the tudor period, there is scant information about how the house has developed, or why and by whos hand. Indeed , we were even left unsure as to who built the house, when and why, we couldn't even work out whether it was privately owned (we decided in the end that it probably was).

The upstairs was bizarre; a collection of rooms which seemed to be in use currently, complete with toilets (and toilet brushes, loo rolls etc), personal modern items such as rucksacks and slippers in the bedrooms. Perhaps this is normal, but we found it unsettling and voyeuristic peering into the modern life of the inhabitants.

It was most peculiar having the tour include a bathroom which had recently been used it certainly didn't feel at times as though we were touring a stately home, more as though we had popped in to snoop on the neighbours whilst they went shopping. The house was tatty, with numerous broken windows, dusty and in places almost decrepit. One of the bedrooms was in a very sorry state with evidence of a fire on the door and leaks through the ceiling, mouldy in places too.

However! The grounds made up for the disappointing hall I think. There is a 14th century service area, which consists of bakery (including mouldy bread, sadly), dairy, brew house (barrels of stagnant water) and an apothecary (at least we surmised that it was so) which was very interesting. There is an ice house to look at if you are brave enough to investigate a bleak, dank under ground building which is in complete darkness as the lights don't work. We had a torch with us so were able to explore it and did find the info sheet inside very informative.

The gardens are wonderful and inspiring. We came home determined to start a 'stumperie' (you will have to find that part yourselves). The veg garden (potagerie) would put most avid gardeners to shame, everything looked very tempting indeed.

There were some pigs, a couple of horses and the ubiquitous chickens all happy to be fussed over, peacocks roamed about lazily and thrilled the children with their strange calls

The biggest disappointment was that we did not see a single soul dressed as a tudor, in fact we didn't see a single soul in the hall at all. There seemed to be a skeleton staff running the place and this was most apparent in the hall where we really should have been guided I believe.

Kentwell Hall is an interesting place but needs more investment, and to be honest I think it needs help in many ways. Visitors on a day like today will face disappointment as the entrance costs do not offer value for money in my opinion.

Oh, and the biggest complaint I have? No not the rude cafe staff, there is only one toilet on the whole site, so no matter where you are you have to go back to the entrance to use a toilet which I think is ridiculous, the eating areas should have toilets at least, as small children often need to 'go' at short notice and even in the middle of a meal, it is unreasonable to expect anyone to make do with the current situation. I would warn anyone with small children, the elderly or those with certain medical conditions to bear this in mind when deciding whether to visit.

11  Thank Kitswell
A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridge, England
Reviewed 19 April 2006

Visiting Kentwell during one of their 'recreations' is certainly a must if you are in the area. The experience is so unique; some 250 'Tudors' from gentry to peasant, go about their business, speaking, working, playing and eating Tudorishly. It's quite, quite magical, especially for children, but we were enthralled too!
The grounds and farm are tranquil and picturesque (having good weather helps) and the hall and other buildings are beautiful, but it is being immersed in another era which makes for such a memorable day out. We stopped and talked to many of the Tudors, and in Tudor English they gave convincing replies, ranging from complaints about the pottage to the latest news of the King's illness.
We learnt lots about their trades and their lives, with the Military Pavilion and the Archers being favourites with the boys. I must say I didn't like the look of some of the Tudor medicines, and those with a delicate disposition shouldn't watch the fish being fed, as they writhe about.
The only advice I'd give to make sure that if it's very hot, time your wanderings so that you are indoors to miss the worst of the heat. But other than that, enjoy a magical day out!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member