“Old charm”
Review of The Bull

The Bull
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Long Melford
Reviewed 30 March 2014

After moving out the area in November I decided to pay a surprise visit to my family. As a former employee of The Mill hotel I opted out of staying there, with a reasonable price for 2 nights deluxe B&B The Bull couldn't of been beat. I have visited before but never stayed. With early check in we were not disappointed. Huge bed with lots of room, power shower, tea & coffee topped up everyday and fresh towels if needed. Breakfast had a vast amount to choose from and the service was impeccable. Unfortunately we didn't have time to dine but the choice & price was very reasonable. Check out was quick and the staff were absolutely lovely. Will definitely stay again :)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carrie H
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The Bull, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thanks very much for your review of the Bull. I was really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again when you next visit your family in the area.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at The Bull for 1 night. The hotel was very traditional and "olde" I loved it. Our room was massive for a deluxe double and we got a great deal at £65 for B&B midweek. The bar and lounge were very comfortable and drinks/meals very well priced for a hotel. The food was gorgeous, even my partner who is not a foodie really enjoyed his vegetarian option. (I would recommend the fish and chips) As stated in other reviews the staff were excellent in every department. Very friendly and helpful, they actually seemed happy in their work. Sally went out of her way to help us in looking for a pub with Sky Sports in the evening she made suggestions and even called ahead to check. Great customer service all round. We will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: We paid an extra £10 to have a deluxe double which was well worth the money.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jakesey

Many thanks for posting your review of the Bull. I will pass on your comments on to the team there, in particular Sally, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Revisited Long Melford after 20 years and we were not disappointed. The Bull was a great place to stay and wish we could have stayed for longer than one night. Our room was pleasantly quirky, clean and comfortable and the breakfast had a good choice. We would definitely stay here again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DianeLRustington

I was glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the Bull on your visit to Long Melford. We look forward to welcoming you back again, hopefully sooner than in another 20 years !

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Looking for a mid-week lunch we thought we would try the impressive looking Bull Hotel.
Thinking it could be a tad expensive, we were pleasantly surprised by the prices charged.
Food excellent. Speedy service. Warm and friendly members of staff. Comfortable seating.
A good choice.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shuggycat

Thanks for your review of your recent visit. I was really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meals and found them reasonably priced. We also have 3 themed nights during the week and offer a special 1,2 or 3 course menu during the week. I will pass your comments back to the team at the Hotel.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Bull is a 'Magical Place' no fires lit but that's the weather for you. Staff seem to love their jobs and really 'carry' the place..food we had was most reasonable and enjoyable.If attention to a couple of things were resolved I could not fault our stay. I repeat Staff Excellent!!

Its a 'Big Barn' but really a bit more warmth in the rooms (at night) would have been welcomed as the heating was off. Exhaust system in the bathroom was not totally effective so an additional 'Air sweetener' would have helped. Finally I never want to manually clean a WC with my hand 'Ever'..no toilet brushes in evidence due to Greene King policy..Get these small points resolved GK..and keep the bargain rates..you will have the Old place 'Rockin and Rolling'!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank William M

Great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Bull and that the team looked after you well. I will raise the lack of toilet brushes in the bathrooms when we next meet to discuss our Bedroom brand standards. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We called in to have coffee Sunday morning.. Alas our lovely doggie was not allowed in the bar as they "were serving food". This is in spite of being advised as "dog friendly"
We were told that if we were staying at the hotel the dog was allowed in the room.
Pleased we were not staying at the hotel as part of our holiday is to have our dog with us and not leave him in the room.
I understand no dogs in the kitchen, restaurant etc but the Bar?

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravellerwithSharPei

I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our policy for dogs on your recent visit to the Bull. Unfortunately during food service hours Dogs are not permitted in the Bar, Lounge or our Restaurant.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We booked this hotel as it was dog friendly. When we entered our room we were amazed, it was beautifully finished with a four poster bed and is one of the most impressive we have stayed in. (We had to leave the window open as we could not turn off the heating in the room, luck it was a quiet night outside!) The staff were friendly and welcoming and coped with the problems that were to come well although I am not sure much was actually passed on to the staff concerned.

All our problems were with the food, which in an hotel of this quality should not have happened. Of the four evening meals ordered, two came with plastic pieces in and the pie was almost all gristle rather than meat. My neice, who has a serious egg allergy, left the rest of her dinner as she was put off by the problems with the other meals. Although the manager agreed to waive the cost of the meals, we were all very disappointed and left without having sweet.

The morning breakfast was very good with lots of choice. We persuaded my niece to have more than just toast, she was worried about her allergy and the cross contamination of food. We discussed with the waitress the importance of any food for my neice being free of any contact at all with eggs and she told us she would inform the chef. Unfortunately, soon after breakfast she was being sick and felt ill because there had been some contact, however small with eggs. She was I'll for the rest of the day, not good when you have a 240 mile drive ahead of you!

This spoilt our stay, which was a shame in such a wonderful building and is the reason for the average rating,

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
#3 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Black Lion Hotel
Black Lion Hotel
#2 of 3 in Long Melford

Been to The Bull? Share your experiences!