“Very Nice!”

Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Long Melford
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had the pleasure of a meal at this restaurant on a Saturday night to celebrate my parents ruby wedding anniversary. I am happy to comment on three aspects. The greeting was warm and friendly with no undue rush or fuss, the greeting I believe was from the owner and her warm and friendly approach clearly transferred down to the rest of the waiting staff who were attentive, not overbearing and highly efficient. It appears another family member tipped off the restaurant that it was a special occasion so they took the time and effort to subtlety decorate the table which was a personal and much appreciated touch. Therefore the sheeting and service was an extremely high level.

However it is also important to talk about the food and drink. My mum has a limited appetite and never has 3 courses - on this occasion she did. I have taken my dad to Michelin starred restaurants and he has grumbled. On this occasion he did not. Both of these things say a lot about the food being served. My wife and I have eaten in a number of starred restaurants and I am more than happy to say the food, especially the starter and main courses compared favourably. I had no complaints with portion size, temperature and above all quality both of produce and cooking. The wine list also deserves a favourable mention with a fantastic array of choice at all price levels.

Finally then the overall assessment of this restaurant is that it is a hidden gem in a small Suffolk location that rightly deserves very positive reviews for the whole package.

4  Thank simon5000

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I cannot think what must have gone wrong last weekend June 6th. because there are two very poor reviews for this terrific restaurant and that is almost unknown, perhaps Nick was ill.
Anyway my husband and myself dined here on a very busy Saturday evening June 14th and had an exquisite meal. Scutchers is never cheap but the standard is very high and Nick uses top quality ingredients. The wine list here is brilliant, very few other restaurants can claim to have about twenty wines just on the house wine list.
Although there were several large tables dining that night we were looked after extremely well by the delightful, well trained young staff.
I shall nominate Scutchers for the Observer restaurant award and I hope that many of the other regular, well satisfied diners who like us have enjoyed so many lovely meals here over the years will do the same. Thank you Nick, Diane and all the staff whether seen or unseen.

4  Thank Goodgirl79
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Myself and my husband have visited this superb restaurant many times over the past 10 years. The food and welcome is consistently wonderful. Good varied menu excellent wine list and a warm and friendly service. We have eaten at this restaurant in small and large parties when it has been busy and at quieter times and have never had anything but the same high standard of service and food.

3  Thank Clive M
Reviewed 9 June 2014

A warm welcome from our host/owner Diane, nice cosy snug area to relax by the open fire and enjoy a glass of vino from a superb wine list. The restaurant offers a set menu which looks great value, on this occasion we decided to choose our own, I had the tempura prawns with a chilli dip (beautiful light tempura batter ) cooked to perfection by head chef and restaurant owner Nick, for main course I tucked into calves liver and Bacon ( truly wonderful ). The cheese board was first class too. Our friends all agreed that once again this restaurants continuity on delivering simply delicious food faultlessly has not gone unnoticed. If you love your food....you will adore Scutchers. We will return, again and again and again. There is a small courtyard area at the back of the property should the sun have its hat off.

2  Thank Mynewhair
Reviewed 7 June 2014

A good welcome, good service, good wine, unfortunately the food was massively disappointing, and we very quickly realised that Scutchers is a prime example of style over substance. We had seafood in tempura (heavy) fried in oil that been reused many times (when it arrived at the table it smelt like something from the local chippy) and the oysters were mushy (not fresh or to be kind, over cooked). The main course was named 'the ultimate scampi and chips'. As this dish was charged at £29 we were expecting something pretty special, what arrived was competent pub grub, and if the scampi was indeed langoustines tails as described on the menu, they were very tiny langoustines. In short, a
complete rip-off. We hadn't got very far into this meal before deciding that this would be our first and last at Scutchers. Save your money and go to a decent pub for a third of the price.

1  Thank Nell A