“Served the purpose, and then some”

Best Western Heath Court Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Gunnislake, United Kingdom
“Served the purpose, and then some”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have stayed several times at this hotel, usually over Christmas. We have always found the staff helpful and pleasant; nothing has changed. And they allow pets, which is important as we usually bring our dog. We also enjoy being so close to the Newmarket gallops where we watch the horses work some mornings. This year, we thought the restaurant was a bit better than it had been, but the rooms themselves were looking a bit tired. They are about to begin a revamp, however. We are very fond of this hotel for its location relative to people we visit when we stay there, and we enjoy both the gallops and the town of Newmarket, which has quite good food and shopping. There is nothing not to like, really, and a lot to enjoy. When the rooms are back up to standard, it might be unbeatable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

I have stayed in this hotel three times in a week and must congratulate the whole team. They were friendly helpful and just full of life. Whilst the hotel is slightly off the main road it gives great access to the town and is a bit quieter. The food from the carvery was great and the breakfast even better. I was kindly upgraded and the rooms are very spacious , clean and at the front plenty of natural light. It's about to under go a refit otherwise I would of graded it even higher.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Had a very pleasant stay at Heath Court Hotel in December when visiting relatives: extremely helpful, pleasant staff, and very comfortable accommodation. Rooms furnished to a high standard: good quality, self service breakfast with staff on hand to take special orders. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We'd booked a normal double with en-suite bathroom and on arrival were upgraded to a suite, which was lovely. Very spacious, huge TV and bathroom. Very luxurious. However our experience was marred when late at night we thought the duvet was feather, and were told as much too by the manager. We slept under horrible blankets and had a very late night after the lovely porter tried to find a spare duvet...there were none. After we returned home we were smugly informed by the manageress that they weren't feather (she said it was hotel policy to use feather they were the night before). She also said we'd be contacted by a more senior manager.......we're still waiting one month on. The hotel itself was OK for the price range, the room was lovely, and all the other staff were kind, respectful, friendly and generally really nice. I would recommend this hotel, they just need training in what they're actually offering regarding the essential bedding. I surely cannot be the first person to ask about feathers or be allergic to them?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Firstly I have to say the hotel was clean and tidy.....BUT!!

I had contacted head office in regards to a possible upgrade for the night as we were having a special occasion with other couples( 4 rooms booked) to which I was told no guarantees but would try our best.

we arrived and checked in with the very sarciastic receptionist. One of my party did very kindly get a suite but sadly not me!!. I did try and explain that it was me who had asked for the upgrade but I was told there were three separate bookings and I must have been wrong! I did the bookings and it may come as a slight surprise to her that I knew what I had booked.

I was told then that in her words" nothing I can do!!!" and disappeared...we just left but it did leave a sour taste in the mouth.

The room stunk of paint and there was that much condensation in the room that my wife had to dry her shoes with a towel.

We had a local Church group holding a service at 09:30 near our room...what a lovely wake up call!!!

One of our party had breakfast ! and the other 8 of us ate at Weatherspoons down the high st...make your own mind up

Would we stay again..only if we had to!!!

Customer service was totally shocking..are Hotel Receptionists the new Doctor Receptionists!!!

Room Tip: Dont ring and ask for help
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Arrive on a cold blustery day and was made welcome as soon as I worked through the door, the food a Carvery was very good and there was great choice of joints and plenty of Vegetables and Breakfast the foolowing was very filling My room was very nice as it was one of the suites and plenty of room to move about. I will certainly revisit this hotel next year for a few days leisure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Arrived about 4.30 pm after a long 6 hr drive, check in was smooth and efficient and swetened by being told that we had been upgraded to an exec. room.
The room was enormous with a king bed and enough furniture to equip a small flat.
As we only have a wet room the bath was a great luxury which we both enjoyed.
We booked dinner in the hotel and menus were presented while we relaxed in the Bar.
We chose Crispy Belly Pork which was excellent.
Breakfast in the morning was buffet style and all selections were hot with eggs cooked to order.
All in all a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Bedford Lodge Hotel
Rosery Country House Hotel
BEST WESTERN Priory Hotel
BEST WESTERN Priory Hotel
#7 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to Best Western Heath Court Hotel? Share your experiences!