“Valentines Break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Valentines Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Very nice stay. Good rooms. Decent dinner and breakfast. Lovely spa day. Helpful friendly staff. It was our second stay here. First was about 3 years ago since when there have been quite a few changes. Still a really nice stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Spent a wonderful day at the spa to celebrate with a girlfriend for our birthdays and I can honestly say it was one of the best spa days ever.
From the moment we arrived till our departure we were treated like 'two princesses' with sincere friendliness and genuine hospitality which Is rare these days. The staff were not pretentious and just went that extra mile which is why we will definitely be back. Our treatments were professional and experienced (despite my therapist telling me she was newly qualified) her full body massage was excellent likewise her facial.
The facilities were first class and as it's quite newly opened -I believe last July it's standard of cleanliness and decor is fresh and luxurious. The highlight of the visit was the rooftop hot tub which on a chilly Feb day really had the 'wow' factor - it was truly delightful and we watched racehorses making their way back from their mornings exercise from the Heath and this added a unique experience fitting with Newmarket. Wish we could remember staff's names especially the blonde haired lady who (may have been the spa manager/reception manager) spoke to my sister on the phone and arranged a surprise treat for us-which we enjoyed the bubbles with our afternoon teas and then finished off with more bubbles back up on the roof!!! Can't wait to return :)))

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank AnnaghLondon
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

I took my partner for an overnight stay at the Bedford Lodge and you have no idea how many brownie points I got.

As you drive in the first impression is great. We arrived at 11 am and unexpectedly our room was ready. We stayed in Suite 4 and what a room (the pictures show it). So much space with everything you could want from a five star hotel, but in a four star hotel. On entering the room, there is fruit on the table with a small pack of Molton Brown goods, then in the fridge drinks and small box of chocolates. The Molton Brown toiletries are available in the bathroom as well.

We then used the leisure facilities which were fantastic with the great pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi.

The bar area could be slightly bigger, but staff are very helpful. The restaurant is very good with excellent food.

What sets this hotel apart from many others is the high level of detail that they cover off, from the cleanliness of the whole hotel to the Molton Brown toiletries and the way in which everything was lined up in unison.

Very much worth a visit and enjoy a break away in luxury.

Room Tip: We recommend the extra charge for a Suite and we understand Suite 4 is the best
1 Thank kb1609
LONDON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed at Bedford Lodge on a two night DB&B package over Burns Night weekend to celebrate our anniversary. My wife and I travel extensively and I have to say this is a really good hotel and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it - even to a few of our most demanding friends and colleagues.

The hotel has all you need (and more) to enjoy a stay on business or pleasure.

Rooms are spotlessly clean, air conditioned, stylish and well equipped (although missing the advertised trouser press!). The bed was King size, incredibly comfy and with pristine crisp cotton bedding of high quality. Pillows were a little soft for me, but not so bad I had to get them changed. The TV is large and has a good selection of TV channels, but no Sky Sports, etc. (available in Exec Suites I believe). Two armchairs and an occasional table compliment the rest of the good quality furniture. Adequate storage, but limited hangers (4) - easily resolved with a call to reception. Lighting is very good and certainly better than at many hotels I've visited lately (especially those that have gone down the energy efficiency road and insist on lighting levels that are so poor you need a torch to see your way around). A fridge stocked with water is welcome as is the safe. Tea and Coffee making facilities are good (e.g. tea pigs) and the complimentary biscuits are great. The bathroom is modern and has a separate bath and shower - toiletries are Moulton Brown. Fog free illuminated mirrors are effective and add to the overall style. One small issue with bathroom - no flannels (perhaps the only small attention to detail they haven't picked-up on, but robes and towels big and fluffy so I'll forgive them! NB: There is a volume control switch (?) in the bathroom suggesting a radio option but I couldn't make it work.

Our room was on the first floor and overlooked the gallops and training yard, which was interesting to see. However the primary reason that I didn't mark this hotel 'excellent' was also outside our window - the air conditioning plant. Just noisy enough to be a real pain, especially when the ambient is so quiet that the noise stands out and hums away at a frequency that I found hard to ignore. That said I am sure that the Hotel would have moved me if I'd asked. Doesn't change the fact that this is far from ideal.

The hotel has a complimentary health and fitness club and there is a stunning spa on site (separate building) .We were offered the chance to book treatments in the spa but declined as we had other plans. We used the pool, sauna and steam room and all were spot on (including the changing areas).

Onto the food. We have friends in the area so invited them across on the Friday night to join us for dinner. This was no problem for the hotel / restaurant and the food was very good. Our stay included three courses (from a set menu) or an allowance to offset against the overall bill. The menu was pretty varied and I cannot believe that a visitor could not find at least a handful of dishes to tempt them. The smoked haddock and spinach tart and the smoked chicken and cheddar starters were both spot-on as was the beef and mushroom pie main. My wife's steak was very good and the accompanying chunky chips a perfect match for it (shame that restaurants insist on serving such dishes on bread boards these days - but I recognise it's the fashion! The wine list is extensive and whilst I thought a tad expensive has some good wines to chose from. The service was excellent (not quite silver service, but pretty close) and the setting relaxed and inviting. On the Saturday my wife and I enjoyed the Burns Night specials, but were a little frustrated that we had to eat earlier than we wanted, yet the restaurant was a third empty all night! The breakfast options were fine (unusually no grapefruit, but plenty of other options) and the cooked breakfast was very well cooked and presented - and using locally sourced ingredients.

I could pick out and highlight named individuals but that would be unfair on those whose names I missed - each and every person we came into contact with was great. Friendly, professional and prepared to listen and sort out your issue.

All in all we had a really great time and would certainly not hesitate to visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior or Exec
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RandRI
Suffolk UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife surprised me with an overnight stay here for my birthday. We have visited the hotel for lunch a few times en route to the races but hadn't ever stayed.

Basically it's good. Checking in went as expected, the staff are friendly and welcoming. The rooms well appointed and comfortable.

We used the spa but unfortunately didn't have time to use all the pools, sauna and steam room, which all looked fab. The only negative with the spa is that it's located in a separate building; we were here in January and I guess we should have worn a few more warm clothes for the walk from hotel to spa! The staff here know what they are doing, the treatments were great.

The bar and restaurant is OK, the food is good, plentiful and reasonably priced. The cheese soufflé is a must. One thing, just a comment really, I don't understand this and other restaurants fascination with using planks of wood as plates, maybe it was 'quirky' but with some many places doing it, it's losing its appeal for me, especially when fish and chips are served this way. What's wrong with good old crockery?

When can I go again?

1 Thank kBloke
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We were booked into the Bedford Lodge by our daughter and son- in-law as a treat......and what a treat it was! This hotel has such attention to detail which made the whole experience so relaxing and enjoyable. The staff are very friendly and helpful and will cater for your every need. Our room was fab with tea pigs, coffee and hot chocolate. The beds were so comfortable and large fluffy towels with molten brown toiletries completed the experience. The standard of cleanliness was excellent. The breakfast provided a great choice of very high quality food with as much tea or coffee as you want. We used the pool and sauna during our stay and next time will book a spa treatment. The hotel is obviously as popular with local residents as it was with travellers and the ambience of the bar area with log fire was jus what was needed in January. Overall, we had a fantastic stay and will definitely be returning.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Comfortable, welcoming and all you could want. Have stayed here several times with work and my only regret is that I never have time to really relax and enjoy this lovely hotel. Friendly staff, comfortable rooms and beds and always immaculately clean. Nice added extras make you feel cosseted, e.g. tea and coffee making facilities in the room, decent hair dryer, complementary wifi and nice Molton Brown toiletries. Food in the restaurant is excellent but a little pricey and on race weeks you could easily bump into a famous jockey in the bar.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 36 in Cambridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,184 reviews
Premier Inn Newmarket Hotel

Been to Bedford Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!