“Lovely hotel and excellent service”

Bedford Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Lovely hotel and excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The spa is excellent - had a relaxing massage and felt really good afterwards. I have a small complaint about the room - the bathroom was poorly lit and it had no magnifying/shaving mirror which created a problem for me as, since I had cataract surgery, I cannot see well in poor light.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here on a Saturday night as a gift from a friend and can only say how average it was, on arrival the reception area was taken over by a wedding entourage who were having their photos done but we managed to check in amongst the melee, room was tidy and bed was comfortable but refreshment supplies were fairly meagre, I requested some extra at reception only to be told that we would have to wait for the scheduled replenishment to take place and surely the provided supplies were enough (two tea bags) had breakfast the next morning and found the staff to be friendly and attentive but seating arrangements to be cramped, our table was in the direct route for the kitchen and was the access area for half of the restaurant, I pulled my chair in as far as I could but still only has 12 inches gap between me and the chair behind, which resulted in numerous chair manoeuvres to allow dinners access to their destination. This may not have been one of the worst hotels I've stayed at but for the price it was certainly one of the poorest value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank harry l
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at Bedford Lodge Hotel with my boyfriend as part of my birthday present. Lucky me!

We pulled up and the first thing you notice is the grounds; while not sprawling, they are beautifully manicured with roses everywhere.

We checked in without a fuss; the lady on reception was highly friendly and efficient. Our room was clean and bright and spacious enough for a big double bed, desk, flat screen, big wardrobe, a large chair and the decor was minimal. The bathroom goodies were Molton Brown and the mirror in the bathroom was anti-fog, which was a smart touch.

We had dinner at Squires, the restaurant there, and that was a treat! Fast service, quality produce and every course was delicious.

Breakfast was above average; there was a continental buffet and an option to order hot food from a menu at an additional cost of £16. I wanted to mix and match items for my Full English (for example, two mushrooms as opposed to one and only one sausage) and they were accommodating.

Check-out is at 11am, which is pretty standard.

Overall, I’d recommend Bedford Lodge Hotel as a charming place to visit and the food at Squires is fantastic. As a hotel, it’s fully functional with lovely staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Spalding, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We wanted to stop in Cambridge but the hotels were too expensive, so we opted for the next best thing, a 4* in Newmarket, only 20 minutes away. (Mentioned in the Dick Francis book "Wild Horses") I had been past last year and liked the look of it anyway.
Couldn't fault the staff, every single one of them were polite, courteous and couldn't do enough and they were very busy when we arrived on the Saturday as there was a wedding in progress and also a 70th birthday party. We ordered afternoon tea, which was lovely, and the food was amazing in the evening and at breakfast, the flavours were incredible so compliments to the chef.
My daughter and I had a look around the on site facilities; dance studio, gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi. Didn't get to use anything as there was no time but remember there is an on site spa too.
I have put some photos on here of room 211, there is another part to it but my daughter was in most of those photos!
Downside: air con in the room - I turned it off in the end, too noisy. 10% service charge automatically added to the bill, watch out for that. (Does that 10% go directly to the staff out there working there socks off? They deserve it) PARENTS! Do control your children, they shouldn't be running around a busy hotel with hot food and drinks being carried around.
All in all, I have stopped in many hotels, but this, and the Blakeney in Norfolk have to rate among the top.

Room Tip: Do you like horses...well some rooms overlook horse racing stables, ask for a room that does this if...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Whole hotel is lovely, food is good, rooms and great and the staff are very welcoming and friendly. We will definitely revisit in the future as it's location is superb for all your needs. Only downside they could do with more outside space to enjoy the heat wave!!!

Stayed May 2014
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely stay here last week for our anniversary and to attend the races at newmarket. I thought the place was just perfect - the room was nicely decorated overlooking horses in training, molten brown toiletries were a nice touch as was proper coffee on the tea tray instead of instant. The bed was actually the most comfortable I've slept in with big fluffy pillows I had a great night sleep. Breakfast was delicious - I had vegetarian option and really enjoyed.
The staff were extremely helpful and friendly - we were made to feel very welcome. We will be back!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Norfolk, England.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have not stayed here as an hotel guest but have dined here for lunch. Order your tea/coffee whilst deciding on your meal choice and it is served with delicious, home made cookies. All food is well prepared, cooked and presented served by attentive staff.

Room Tip: As previously mentioned, I did not stay overnight, merely dined but everywhere looks very clean and...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 36 in Cambridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,224 reviews

Been to Bedford Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!