“Great afternoon tea”

Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lovely afternoon tea, made better by sitting outside in the sun! The sandwiches were lovely and the scones (2 each) were accompanied by jam, cream and a delicious lemon cream. Then the cakes were brought out, an eclair, fruit tart, macaroon, carrot cake and meringue drops! We left very full but happy, the staff were also very friendly! Would definitely recommend!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank El M

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here before some years ago and was delighted to be staying again. Staff very helpful from booking 12 rooms to adding another just days before. Check in quick, efficient and helpful as I was keen to know all guests had arrived. My room wasn't as large as the one I had before, but very nice all the same, clean and comfortable with nice touches of quality, local magazines. Tea Pigs and real coffee on the tray with proper pots and lovely biscuits. instant Wi-Fi so I was able to get straight to some work before my 6pm meeting! Bathroom bright and clean with lovely Moulton Brown toiletries. After my meeting, went back to change for dinner and tea and biscuits had been replenished and clean cups.

We had a table for 14 booked for dinner but then 2 others coming to the same meeting the next day joined us and the staff were great and laid 2 more places. We ate off the set menu and everyone was very happy, I couldn't fault what I had, delicious and beautifully presented and the service was excellent.

There is a racing theme to the hotel, obviously being Newmarket and it is set in the midst of racing yards, my room overlooked one, but our meeting the following day was all about racing, so that was part of the attraction.

Very comfortable, huge bed with the best pillows I've ever slept on! Room was rather warm when I checked in but the aircon quickly cooled it whilst I was out.

I didn't have full breakfast as I had to get to the meeting early but my colleagues seemed to enjoy what they had. Check out again, quick and efficient.

Plenty car parking close to reception surrounded by beautifully manicured gardens full of roses in bloom. All in all, a real treat, a lovely hotel to stay in, couldn't recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking a training yard, expected it to be noisy first thing in the morning but I w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have just got back from a weekend stay in the Bedford Lodge Hotel with my family over graduation. Hotel staff were very polite and helpful on the front desk and advised us with restaurants in the evening. The cleaning staff were also very welcoming, greeting us in the hallway and always smiling and willing to help with anything we needed. The rooms were of a good size and the bed was VERY comfortable. The only slightly negative points would have to be that the key card for one of our rooms kept breaking which was quite annoying and it was rather hard to figure out how to make the showers hot (I only figured it out on the last day!). Also the hotel's free wifi is not the best- rather slow and does cut out frequently on mobile devices.
However, none of these things made our stay any less enjoyable and I would recommend this hotel to everyone! The grounds are very beautiful and there are roses lining the pathways into the hotel which smell absolutely wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here this week for the Sping deal spa break - although more pricy than other places, we felt it was worth the money paid. The hotel and spa are both spotless and really modern and smart, everything looks fresh and not dated at all. We checked into the spa (they rang us the day before to confirm and said we could go before hotel check in so gained a few hours relaxing!) The staff here were lovely, really friendly and helpful. Loved the spa, was really quiet too which added to it. The pool in here was great, and the rooftop hot tub lovely, especially in a bit of rain. The only criticism of the spa was that it was a bit too hot in the relaxing area upstairs, and not much room to change in the changing room - one room and a tiny bench in communal area. We had drinks in the restaurant spa which were lovely, and the lady gave us a lovely macaroon too. The personalised massages were spot on, again lovely ladies doing them. They were amazing and struggled to not fall asleep!!
After a few hours, we headed over to the hotel. Again, brilliant staff. Easy check in, lovely spacious modern room. Amazing bathroom with robes and Moulton Brown toiletries and complimentary hot drinks and water. Had a nice drink in bar, was nice and just busy enough so was a nice atmosphere that is often missing in hotels. Dinner at Squires was lovely - we didn't have to order off the set menu, could use the price as an allowance to order from main menu so we had mains and deserts - all delicious. All waitresses were very helpful again. Only criticism in restaurant are that tables are a bit close together should restaurant be busy, you would be sitting on top of your neighbours.
We didn't have the best night sleep, despite air conditioning being on, the room was a bit too hot and fan noise going on all night which we couldn't work out where it was coming from. Although beds were comfy and hotel was quiet.
Breakfast was lovely too, buffet for continental and then you could order hot from menu so all cooked to order. Was lovely food and all local produce.
On checking out, £25 supplement for food had been added to bill - the lady checked through and was a mistake so was removed, but just reminder to always check before you pay!
Overall, was a really lovely experience and came away very relaxed. Would recommend this hotel and spa to anyone, made a real nice change from the "chains" that you can go to. Lovely place and credit to all the staff there - the customer service is second to none.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lazeedays
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The spa is excellent - had a relaxing massage and felt really good afterwards. I have a small complaint about the room - the bathroom was poorly lit and it had no magnifying/shaving mirror which created a problem for me as, since I had cataract surgery, I cannot see well in poor light.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here on a Saturday night as a gift from a friend and can only say how average it was, on arrival the reception area was taken over by a wedding entourage who were having their photos done but we managed to check in amongst the melee, room was tidy and bed was comfortable but refreshment supplies were fairly meagre, I requested some extra at reception only to be told that we would have to wait for the scheduled replenishment to take place and surely the provided supplies were enough (two tea bags) had breakfast the next morning and found the staff to be friendly and attentive but seating arrangements to be cramped, our table was in the direct route for the kitchen and was the access area for half of the restaurant, I pulled my chair in as far as I could but still only has 12 inches gap between me and the chair behind, which resulted in numerous chair manoeuvres to allow dinners access to their destination. This may not have been one of the worst hotels I've stayed at but for the price it was certainly one of the poorest value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank harry l
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at Bedford Lodge Hotel with my boyfriend as part of my birthday present. Lucky me!

We pulled up and the first thing you notice is the grounds; while not sprawling, they are beautifully manicured with roses everywhere.

We checked in without a fuss; the lady on reception was highly friendly and efficient. Our room was clean and bright and spacious enough for a big double bed, desk, flat screen, big wardrobe, a large chair and the decor was minimal. The bathroom goodies were Molton Brown and the mirror in the bathroom was anti-fog, which was a smart touch.

We had dinner at Squires, the restaurant there, and that was a treat! Fast service, quality produce and every course was delicious.

Breakfast was above average; there was a continental buffet and an option to order hot food from a menu at an additional cost of £16. I wanted to mix and match items for my Full English (for example, two mushrooms as opposed to one and only one sausage) and they were accommodating.

Check-out is at 11am, which is pretty standard.

Overall, I’d recommend Bedford Lodge Hotel as a charming place to visit and the food at Squires is fantastic. As a hotel, it’s fully functional with lovely staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
7 mi away
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#3 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Newmarket Hotel

Been to Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!