“Very convenient for Newmarket town and races”

Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
“Very convenient for Newmarket town and races”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed here overnight with my husband who was on business. Quick and efficient check-in - reception area quite small with a few tables/chairs and sofa. The executive room on second floor was lovely - bathroom very well appointed and plenty of room to put wash bags etc,. Good toiletries and quality towels. Flat screen TV, bathrobes, fresh coffee/coffee maker. The windows overlooked paddocks where some beautiful horses were exercised. We had a very good night's sleep on a very comfortable bed with good quality linen sheets.Weather was a bonus, very warm and sunny. Lovely patio to sit out on for pre-dinner drinks. Dinner was excellent with very good service. Wine list extensive and something to suit everyone's pocket. Be aware that service is automatically added to the bill. Breakfast cooked to order and was excellent with, again, good service. My husband went off to his meeting and I went for a swim (the Spa is separate to the hotel but can be reached internally). I then wondered into Newmarket - about a 15 minute stroll. Lots of coffee shops with outdoor seating and plenty of shops to explore. I then returned to the hotel and read my book on the outside patio whilst waiting for my husband to return. Had a lovely hour people watching as taxis kept arriving to take people to the evening race meeting. Didn't get much of my book read!! All the staff are exceptionally friendly, smiley, and well trained. Well done to the management. Lovely hotel in lovely setting and would recommend highly. We will certainly return if we are in the area again.

Room Tip: We were on second floor, last room on right hand side of the corridor. Very quiet but afraid cannot...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tricia298

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We visited yesterday for my fiancée's birthday to have an ESPA Time for Two pampering day. Just cannot fault the entire day from start to finish. The most incredible welcome from Helen on the reception desk. She had a glowing smile and made us feel immediately welcome. We went over what was planned for the day and how the timetable would work. We had a cheeky latte coffee in the lounge area before heading to the mud treatment room. We started with the Rasul mud treatment first which was in a private couples room. Everything was explained to us of how to apply the mud, and and to what areas to apply. We were left to ourselves and had 45 minutes in the treatment room to apply the mud to all areas of the body, then relax in the couples steam room, after half an hour exfoliate with natural salts and shower everything off. Then a lovely swim in the hydrotherapy pool, which has 5 different treatment zones. Two course lunch outside on the terrace with champagne in the blazing sun and again the food was great. Italian meat platter to share and a cream tea to finish. Then upstairs for our Espa 1 hour massage experience. We were both in the same room and had a back and face massage each. Such a brilliant relaxing day and hard to fault. Rachel gave me a soothing massage and helped to explain about further skin treatments I should consider. Can't recommend enough and we will be definitely going back again to see what else is on offer at this superb establishment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

A loosing day at the Races was totally compensated by our stay at the Bedford Lodge. Staff who were all pleased to help us , well appointed rooms and a great english breakfast . Before setting off for our second day at the races we enjoyed a brace of Mojito's in the excellent outside seating area surrounded by rolling lawns. Well done Bedford Lodge we'll be back.

Room Tip: If you love horses ask for a stable yard view
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have stayed in quite a few hotels and I can honestly say that our one night in the Bedford Lodge was one of the best we have ever had. From the greeting on arrival from Steven to the welcoming and quick check in, it started well and just got better. OK - we were lucky to be in the middle of a hot and sunny period so we were able to make use of the outside area to relax in - but what made this even better is that all the tables outside are non-smoking - a real rarity these days - so well done Bedford Lodge for making this bold decision. Our rooms were two of the Executive Suites so I cannot comment on the standard rooms - but ours was beautiful and spacious with a lovely comfortable bed, fluffy towels and lots of complimentary goodies. Dinner in the restaurant was amazing - the food was presented beautifully and tasted equally as good. What makes the Bedford Lodge stand out is the staff - everyone I met greeted me with a smile and clearly were happy in their jobs and wanted to make our stay the best they could. I would also Highly Recommend the Spa - my massage was perfect. I have really tried to find a fault with the hotel but I cannot!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view - there are a few at the back. Book for dinner before you arrive - the dini...
Redditch
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am often critical of the service in UK hotels as my many years experience of travelling abroad has proven that generally other countries outshine the UK when it comes to service. However, this could not be said of this hotel. From check in to check out the service was top notch. Extremely friendly & helpful staff for which I would give them even more credit as nobody seemed to be over the age of 30. For a staff so young to give the overall service they did is a credit to all involved. So to the hotel itself - Situated a leisurely 10 minute stroll from Newmarket High St, its well placed. In its own grounds its quiet & secluded. Rooms are well appointed, free wifi & guests have complimentary use of the pool & fitness centre. Breakfast is various traditional English fayre or buffet style continental, both of which were excellent. We also took dinner in the Squires restaurant which was good & this I have reviewed separately. There is plenty of car parking space also. The hotel is also well situated for the racecourse. A great stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently for two nights. It's very close to the town. Plenty of parking. Friendly & efficient check-in. Room was clean & spacious enough for us, air con & all usual in-room amenities. The only things that let the room down: the pillows, which were way too soft for our liking, and the feeble flow of the shower. Food was excellent throughout the weekend, and the breakfast service until 11am was great for us. We didn't think the dinner menu was overpriced, but the bar tariff was a bit on the steep side. Staff are friendly and very helpful. We're unlikely to return to Newmarket, but if we did, we would probably stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My girlfriends and I have just returned from a weekend stay. you. Service was great. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone was extremely helpful. It was refreshing to find. Rooms were lovely and large. The leisure club was an added bonus and the spa fabulous. Definitely will return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Tuddenham Mill
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 36 in Cambridge
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection

Been to Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!