“Quality Chinese food and great Service. A gem.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fountain

The Fountain
Ranked #29 of 87 Restaurants in Newmarket
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Quality Chinese food and great Service. A gem.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

What a lucky find. En route from Manchester to Norfolk we were looking for a half decent Chinese restaurant. We tried Godmanchester but they were full so we tossed up between Cambridge and Newmarket . Thank goodness The Fountain at Newmarket won. A class act. We ordered sea bass, Cantonese roast duck, sizzling beef, pak choi and Szechuan chicken. All prepared to perfection. The staff were efficient and so friendly. We even received a talk on Chinese Green Tea. Can't understand why this restaurant has so many poor reviews and was not full on a Saturday night. The food, service and ambience is simply great. Says Peking and Szechuan on the outside but lots of Cantonese on the menu. The cantonese roast duck was to die for. The next time we are on the A14 we will certainly be popping by. Can't wait.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank blakewelt

Newmarket UK
“Definitely Recommend This Restruant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was just checking the restruants in Newmarket and was very sad to read the reviews on this one. We eat hear at least once a month and can honestly say the service and food to be very good. We are a couple we have no connections with racing but they always remember us, what we drink, what we eat and always find time no matter how busy they are for a chat.
I do agree the portions can be on the small side but the quality is good and very consistent.
Yes it most certainly could do with a bit of TLC but we don't go there for the look we go for the food.
Happy eating xx

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Colette44
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Poor service and poor food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We decided to get a takeaway one evening and really fancied a nice chinese. We had had several fro the fountain before and had no issues. On this occasion one dish was missing, one was wrong and what we did receive was not up to standard. I called straight away and in no un-certain terms told that I was wrong. I was then advised that if I wanted the correct dishes I could drive down and collect them. I asked for a refund and was told that they could not do this. why??? I questioned why they though it appropriate to make someone pay for a dish they had not had and a wrong item received. A very strange decision to make, as a result we wont be eating there again. There are plenty of great take away options in newmarket such as Thai Street and Turquaz.

• Visited June 2014
“Poor service and food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I went for a meal with my husband, but was far from impressed with the food and the service.
We were served our starters and forgotten about for 25 minutes until the waiter arrived to clear the table, we were not asked if we wanted any more drinks (our glasses had been empty for a while)
Our mains arrived which were okay, no check back again. Then left again for ages, when the waiter arrived to clear we weren't offered anything else, he just wandered off. We had to the bar ourselves to get the bill, no "did you enjoy your meal"or anything. Won't hurry back.

London, United Kingdom
“Recommended but Average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

First visit to the Restaurant after a day at the Newmarket Races .Very busy so if used i would pre-book especially on busy days as limited area ,Luckily I chose an inside seat so could observe the entire restaurant and avoid the hussle and bussle of waiter movement .The table next to us was taken by a large sometimes noisy group but who could challenge that as they were the connections of the Days Big race winner..
Even though this group occupied the majority of the waiters time we seemed to be given a prompt and attentive service .The meal was well cooked and tasty but rather on the small size and expensive although i was a guest and not the host on this occasion so my comments were limited.
I did not use any facilities or pay the bill so I am unable to comment on previous reviews but as far as the quality and taste it was good and iI would visit as a couple again on a non-racing day

• Visited May 2014