“Dirty and run down”

and 1 more site!
Rosery Country House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Reviewed 29 August 2011

It looks good on the web and in the photo's but in reality it's run down and dirty. Our room was a bit old fashioned but it got worse when we discovered toe nails between the bed and the side table. The bed was a faux 4 poster that had white paint on the barley twist posts. Bathroom fittings were loose and broken. Every surface was covered in dust.
It is probably the dirtiest hotel we have stayed in for many many years.
The room next to the restaurant was awful, fortunately we did not have to go in it.
When I passed comment on the lack of cleanliness to the manager/owner it fell on deaf ears.
Should have gone to the Premier Inn which is right in the centre of town.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Leschris100

Reviewed 13 July 2011

The disabled rooms were in an annex close to the carparking and a few yards away from the conservatory restaurant. and reception. Slope down with handrail so no problem.
Room clean and pleasant. Huge wet room with shower. Food good and reasonably priced.
Happy to return some time.
Phone was always on voicemail so I booked online. No problem though.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2011

A single parent with 3 young children we were made to feel exceptionally welcome. We stayed in the coach house,a fantastc room. A plush four poster bed and the amazing space and character made us feel really treated. A Charming hotel a refreshing change from bland corperate hotels. Had a real homely atmosphere.

Always a good sign, local people also were also eating there.Food was served piping hot and v ample portion sizes v reasonably priced.

The manager even went out of his way to help when my car wouldn't start. Couldn't ask for better friendly service.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Stayed in one of the garden rooms and was impressed by the clean spacious accommodation. Breakfast was great and really have no complaints except that the bar/restaurant not open in the winter.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Very disappointed, expensive hotel but I was merely pointed in the direction of my room. Towels were frayed. There were none of the little extras you come to expect even in bed and breakfast establishments - tea and coffee supplies were inadequate and the room was not serviced at all during my entire stay.

Food was ok but no better than anywhere else. Over all I thought not worth the money

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel in August while we attended a day at the Newmarket races. We arrrived early as we were having lunch at Newmarket and had to be there for midday after travelling up from London.
The manager of the hotel was very accomadating in finding us all somewhere to change even though we couldn't check in till later, but I think that's where the good points ended for this hotel.
My partner and I where given 'The Lodge' this rooms sleeps 7 people over 2 floors connected by the steepest and most dangerous spiral staircase I have ever seen. This room was grubby, cold and FULL OF SPIDERS!
The bed was so old that it creaked every time you moved, and there was also a washing machine and tumble dryer hidden behind a curtain???
Also the night we stayed there was a wedding going on, im a young adult and don't mind loud music and singing too much but if you do avoid this room at all costs!!
This room is situated right next to the conservatory where the DJ was playing and was also right next to the kitchen where the staff were in the cleaning up and using a very loud dishwasher till 3am!!!
Overall not a good sleep!!
The breakfast was nice if a bit small, but a dissapointing stay to be honest.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We stayed at the Rosery Hotel for one night with friends when we went off to Newmarket nights. When we arrived we were quite baffled to find that there was no main reception as such, we rang the bell at the bar and waited to be greeted. We checked in fine, but had to ask for directions to get to our room, we were not shown to our room. When we got to room number 11, we were quite worried from just looking at the room door, as it looked like we were going to be staying in a cupboard, the door is smaller in height than a normal door, and the hinge was on the outside, plus the lock really didn't look very secure. The room was quite large, it had a four poster bed in and also an additional single bed!!! both were very soft and felt like you were going to end up on the floor when you sat on them. Neither myself or my husband slept very well, kept waking up all throughout the night, my husband woke up with very stiff back. We decided to put the bad night’s sleep down to the gross floral bedding, which should have been used for dusters years ago. Plain white crisp bed linen is the way forward. The fitted wardrobe had a whole array of mismatch hangers, which I just find really annoying. The bathroom was large, but quite grotty, mildew on the grouting in areas around the shower, grouting is meant to be white......... My husband attempted to use the shower but one minute the water was freezing and the next boiling, hence we gave up. The breakfast was OK, our friends ask for 2 poached eggs with the rest of their fry up so we joint them with that choice and it was good. No tea or coffee was brought to the table, we were advised to go up and help ourselves. My friend asked for a pot of tea, which was then brought out in one of those old silver pots that you get a dodgy cafe's where all the tea spills down the pot when pouring, rather than it going into your cup!!! After breakfast we went a sat in the garden before we left, this I would say was the highlight of our stay, the gardens are really nice and plenty of seating. When checking out is was quite hard to enter my pin number when paying £100.00 for this B&B. If staying it this B&B I would recommend that you only do so if you are able to secure a Garden Room from reading other reviews. This hotel would really warrant a visit from Alex Polizzi, the renowned hotel inspector.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jackobird
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Best Western Heath Court Hotel
Cadogan Hotel
Cadogan Hotel
#6 of 8 in Newmarket
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection

Been to Rosery Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!