“Terrible smell, you would have to pay me to go back!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cadogan Hotel
Cadogan Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Northampton
“Terrible smell, you would have to pay me to go back!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night on 06/10/12 and had a very unsatisfactory experience. I booked this hotel as it was a reasonable price and one of the few still available as it was fairly short notice. I can't complain about the size of the room and the staff seemed friendly enough although we only stopped for a minute to drop off our bags before going to the races. What let this place down was the awful damp smell that pervaded the entire hotel. It was pretty horrible, to the point where everything in my overnight bag smelled when we got home and even my handbag seems to have picked up the stench!

The room was clean enough and appears to have brand new windows so it looks as though some effort is being made but the fact that I didn't even feel comfortable putting my bare feet on the carpet speaks volumes!

I would not return to this hotel and neither would my partner, who commented that he would have rather slept in the car had we taken it with us!

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Julie R, Owner at Cadogan Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
I am sorry that you had such an unpleasant stay at The Cadogan Hotel on Saturday. As soon as I read your review today, Tuesday, I immediately checked the room where you stayed. I admit there was a slight damp smell in the bathroom, but upon visual inspection could not identify the cause. i have however, contacted our plumbers who will call at The Cadogan Hotel tomorrow to find the source and resolve the problem.
It is a shame that you did not mention this issue during your stay as we may have been able to establish the cause at the time and rectify the situation during your stay.
However, i am greatful that you have now brought this matter to our attention, so we can ensure that this remains an isolated experience.
If you do come to Newmarket again, please call at the Hotel so that you can see the difference for yourself.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
crawley, west sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night after going to the races - 29/09 to 30/09. I found it clean. Lots of hot water. I particularly liked the fact that breakfast was not included in the price as I'm not much of a breakfast eater but I do like a cup of coffee in the morning and there was tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the room - for me that was good. The hotel does do evening meals but I just wanted some pub grub. The owner didn't try and force her restaurant on me but was happy to point me in the direction of a real ale pub - just a few mins walk to the High street. I found wetherspoons with lots of different real ales and pub grub - just what I needed. Would definitely stay at the hotel again but would prob stay in a double room next time as I found the single quilt a bit small for my liking.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

We've stayed at this hotel a few times now. Julie and Kevin offer great service, a wonderful breakfast. The rooms are always very clean and very comfortable. A 3 star hotel with a 5 star service. Would recommend this hotel to anybody. Nothing is too much trouble. Within easy walking distance to the town centre.

Room Tip: any room is very comfortable and very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I was only here for the one night but found the hotel to be more than acceptable. The room was very clean, and a good size with tea and coffee facilities, flat screen tv, iron and ironing board to mention just a few of the niceties you would like to see.

The owners were very friendly and the breakfast was excellent.

Some reviews can be very picky but to be honest the Cadogan offers a very high standard for the money charged and i would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night after a wedding reception. The room was large and clean, a little dated, but comfortable. The manager was very friendly and provided a lovely hearty breakfast. Would recommend for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Room 10 was large and quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Crawley, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for a short mid week break. This is a small hotel in a perfect position. Sit down at breakfast and watch the racehorses walk. Do not be affraid to ask for a small portion as the breakfast is hearty and flavoursome. Great little hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Having stayed many times in the Newmarket area, I would definitely try and book this one first in the future.

There are no bargains to be had during race days, but this hotel was the most reasonably priced and the owners were very friendly and helpful. My room, albeit a single, was clean and most of all my shower excellent - the two things I consider essential.

The icing on the cake was the Full English Breakfast, which they kindly served early so that I could meet my schedule.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business