“Great location and great quality breakfast”
Review of Rutland Arms Hotel

Rutland Arms Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We have stayed here several times as close to family who are now elderly and can no longer cope with putting us up. The location in the middle of Newmarket is excellant, very close to other pubs, shops and attrations, but not noisy at night. The quality of the breakfast is superb and couldn't be bettered. The bar is welcoming and offers good meals as does the restaurant. The rooms are comfortable and clean and more than you could wish for at an excellant price. The staff were all extremely helpful and the parking adjacent to hotel is a great advantage in the middle of Newmarket. When I discovered I'd left something important behind (alas it was the morning after my mother's funeral and I was greatly distracted) the head of housekeeping was brilliant and posted it next day first class. They couldn't have been more helpful.

Room Tip: Book as early as possible and avoid race meeting days (unless visiting for the races of course!).
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Emma D, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

What a lovely review of the hotel, staff and food.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, and I do hope you will visit again soon under different circumstances.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

i would just like to thank all the staff at the Rutland Arms, my husband and I book a room for a quite break from the kids, we got a lovely warm welcome from reception and we were given a free up grade to a suite which was really nice the building is old but has some lovely features
we had dinner which was fantastic and service was very good we need a good weekend and we got one thank you to all

room 112

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

What a lovely review I'm so glad you had a lovely time.

We try and upgrade rooms when ever possible to make your stay a little more special.

I hope we will see you again very soon,

Reviewed 14 February 2014

On entering the hotel I was transported back in time to the early 60's. Clearly the management are not squandering profits on any unnecessary furniture, decor or style. The hotel would, in it's day, have been a place to be seen, but sadly not any more. It was a wet Wednesday and the hotel was virtually empty. I sat in the bar for a while but there is no comfort therein. It's a large, cold, empty room with a couple or more beers on tap but utterly bereft of atmosphere.

After a quick look in the 60's designed restaurant I left to eat out. I didn't bother with looking at the menu but maybe chicken in the basket would have been a suitable option.

On my return I needed my Satnav to find my single room which was a long way from reception and a bit cold. I would have turned the heat up a little had it been an option. The radiator controls had been removed so preventing me from warming myself up. I sat for a while gazing at the postage stamp sized TV before attempting the single bed. The 1 inch thick quilt didn't do much for warmth so I kept most of my clothes on for the night. The bed and pillows were very comfy albeit the bed was quite narrow. The single room error was my fault; I was trying to save costs.

Anyway, I'm up in the morning and into the shower. Very hot, and very cold, are only about 3mm apart on the large tap adjuster, but I managed after a while. Nice towels that worked perfectly.

So I set off to the restaurant for breakfast. I stood at the sign waiting to be seated but after a decent while asked the guy if I could have a table. He clearly had been to the Basil Fawlty school of excellence and had passed with a gold star in the surly classification. The breakfast was OK.

Back to reception to pay, and the lady on reception was first class and I must say the reception staff generally were marvellous.

A long walk to the car and the hotel was history. I won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't get a single room if you don't like walking and hiking.
1  Thank Aireperson

Dear Aireperson

Thank you for posting your review, albeit naturally I was disappointed to read your comments. Those aspects of your stay which I have immediate control over, for example the service at breakfast and the staff training, I have brought to the attention of those teams concerned.

The hotel has seen many improvements to the overall standard of décor and our restaurant and wine bar have received significant investment which is in keeping with the traditional nature of the building, so I do apologise to you for any disappointment that may have been caused. Over the coming months we will be looking at investing further into the public areas of the hotel which will include the bar area and I do hope that if you were to return once the works have been completed that you would appreciate the new look.

The quirky and unique layout of the hotel was created many many years ago when buildings opposite the main hotel, across the courtyard and also to the rear of the property were interlinked offering a good selection of characterful rooms whilst preserving the features of this splendid building, which our returning guest have come to love over the years. We do actively listen to our guests personal requirements and if we had been made aware either prior to, or during your stay that a room a little closer to the main hotel was required, we would have endeavoured to accommodate your request.

I note from your comments that you found the reception team friendly and helpful and I am pleased they offered you a warm welcome during your stay. I would be more than happy to discuss your feedback in detail and so if you would like to contact me direct at the hotel please call me on 01638 664251

Aireperson, please be assured your feedback has been taken most seriously indeed and I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Rutland Arms Hotel in the future

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Although some of what I read below has resonance, I have to say, my business trip for a couple of nights was just fine. I had a good sized room with 4 poster bed, all the facilities that I needed except that wifi is very poor in the rooms and I was unable to do much work other than in the bar........how sad! This very old hotel has beams, uneven floors and character. I chose to eat in the bar rather than the restaurant as I found it actually had a bit of character. The fish (haddock) was enormous and obviously fresh and nicely cooked and presented. The second night it was a beautiful beef bourgignon with cabbage and mash - delicious. Although I tend to prefer the help-yourself buffet breakfast, on both days the full English was freshly cooked and set me up for the day.
Strange experience in the night though, woken by howling up and down the high street - although my room did not directly overlook the main drag it was at the side and on opening the window found that there was howling down the street and up the street. werewolves in Newmarket - and I had not been drinking!
The car park is quite tight but there was ample parking but make sure you park where you can easily get out - some residents idea of parking could easily block you in if you are not careful.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at the front unless you take earplugs
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,

I'm glad you have a enjoyable stay. Wi-fi can be a bit hit and miss in some of the rooms but works well in all the public areas. Unfortunatley the down side to being right in the centre of the town it can get noisy on occasions but being at the quieter end of the town it never goes on late, we are luck to have are own secure car park for residents and hotels users but it is a little tight for larger vehicles.

I do hope you will visit us again soon,

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Booked online ,£65, breakfast included. Room was lovely. clean, comfortable, light, spacious, good bathroom. very fair price for what you get. lovely friendly receptionist when we checked in.

Restaurant well priced and the food was really good- I recommend the root veg-topped fish pie. what a winner! everything we had was delicious.
Overall the staff, although not very many of them, were very friendly and welcoming and gave a good service. the place had a nice feel about it, I would definitely stay again if in the area, even if it was only to eat at the restaurant.
We are even considering it for a family get together in April as we have some relations in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and writing such a lovely review at the hotel.

Please contact me direct about your family party I would be very happy to help,

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was with a party of 12 we were the only people there. They had 2 of the starters listed on the menu and only had limited numbers of them. We were told to fight over it. Mains were average the fish had to be sent back and a potato side dish looked more like a crusty roll. Deserts again only 2 that were on the menu were available. Staff started to set breakfast things up whilst we were there. Would never eat there again!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal. The manager and chef on duty did there very best to take of you. A pre-order had been request in advance to aid in making sure your evening went as smooth as possible but you decided not to. We have a large menu available but dont always have large amounts of everything available.

I do hope you wll give us another try at some point,

Reviewed 7 February 2014

The hotel is fairly average, although the reception was efficient and friendly, and the breakfast was freshly cooked, and very good. The hotel has character and is centrally placed for Newmarket but the bar had little atmosphere. The breakfast waitress could have been a bit more cheerful - she seemed very tired. There didn't seem to be anyway to control the heating in the room which was too hot for me.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for spending the time and writing a review.

I'm glad you found the reception team friendly and efficent, and the breakfast good. We have plans to refrubish the bar later this year.

Sorry you had problems with the heating in your room, many of the raditors don't have dials there are thermostates on the walls instead which can confuse people.

I do hope you will visit again soon,

Emma Dall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Premier Inn Newmarket Hotel
Newmarket Boutique Apartments
The Mill Hotel
The Mill Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sudbury

Been to Rutland Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!