“Really really need to try harder”
Review of Rutland Arms Hotel

Rutland Arms Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We noticed "internet B&B" on our receipt and were lead to a tiny, boiling hot attic room. OK fair enough - it was an excellent location, we had a good rate, it was at late notice and we glimpsed into other rooms and saw that not all of them were as cramped. Perhaps if we had booked earlier, paid more, etc, etc.

After disposing of the used shower cap that was in the bath we got changed (we were going out for the evening), came downstairs and headed out past the receptionist and...nothing: not a look up from the computer, not a "hello", not a "have a good evening" from her. Nada. OK fair enough, perhaps she had things to do.

When we returned later that evening we had a very hot night and not in a good way.

The next morning we came down to breakfast. And wow what rudeness; every one of the waiting staff without exception was surly. They unsmilingly took our order and actually ignored us when we wanted to add to it soon after. Even to the extent that one of them (who had answered: "WHAT??" when I had walked over to her to ask if I could have a soft drink) came over to apologise for her rudeness, saying by way of explanation: "we are very busy" (note: they weren't and even if they were, it's not an excuse).

The breakfast itself was nothing remarkable: not good not bad.

The experience wasn't all bad. Upon leaving, the receptionist (could have been a supervisor) was super-helpful when we had to leave our luggage,phone a taxi and then arrange a car pick-up. She also asked who had been rude when my wife mentioned our experience (we hadn't the strength of character to point out the person standing next to her who had been one of the culprits); and the previous evening when we returned to the hotel, the night porter/duty person was equally super-helpful, he actually ran to open the car park at 1am for us!

So overall, too many rude or indifferent staff turned what should have been a perfectly acceptable cheap and cheerful internet hotel booking into a cheap and uncheerful one and left a nasty taste in the mouth. We will not return!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Josh R, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for your review, having taken over as the general manager on Monday 7th of July I can only apologise that your experience at my hotel was marred by varying levels of customer service. Please be assured that I will be using your review and discussing it with my heads of department in order to improve on the areas you have highlighted.

With regards to the internet B&B – this is simply used to designate that you made a booking online, it has no reflection on the room you are allocated. But we do have different categories of rooms that do have different prices so it may have been we only had a small room available at the time you booked.

Once again please accept my apologies and I hope that should you choose to stay with us in the future that you will find a marked improvement in the overall service.

Old fashion hotel !
Very friendly staff. Good english breakfast.
Good for a short stay and to visit attractions in the region.
Good place for visit Cambridge, Bury St Edmunds and Ely
Parkplace for the car near the hotel.

Room Tip: rooms at the backside of the hotel are ideal.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Josh R, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your review.
Newmarket is central to east anglia and serves as a good base to visit the surrounding areas.
I am happy to hear that our staff were all very friendly and helpful on your stay and that breakfast was to your liking.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Had one night at the Rutland and thought not only great value, but lovely hotel. I understand what reviewers say by "tired" as possible lick of paint needed in some areas, but having said that there is so much character to the hotel you barely notice this. Lovely to be served breakfast as well instead of seeing rows of bacon, sausage, etc standing for long periods of time. There were road works when we stayed and the car park was almost impossible to find in the dark, however the public car park behind was fine and was free after four in the afternoon until 8 the next morning. Room was good sized and clean and staff very friendly and welcoming - what more do you want?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here at the Rutland Arms. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here through work, friendly welcome, cosy room, quaint bar and great for lone female, staff helpful, chef accommodating for dietary requests, Emma fantastic. Have requested this hotel via work again and will be there again next week. Breakfast all you could ask for and more. Would def recommend. Heather

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind reveiw.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

The room I had was very tired and dated. Car park hard to find and not pleasant walking past the large industrial sized bins which were being used as a refuge by 2 "cider heads" staff were helpful but a lot of work needs doing to room and bathroom.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Julian H

Thank you for your comments.
I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to our normal standards. There is currently some building work taking place outside the front of the hotel which has meant that a diversion has been put in place to direct guests to our car park. I appreciate this is still fairly difficult to find unless you know the area.
The issue of the 'cider heads' in our car park is unfortunately out of our control however, our management team usually deal with them and get them moved on. I apologise they were there on your visit.
We do have an on-going maintenance schedule to keep the rooms and decor up to standard. i am sorry this fell short of our usual standard on this occasion.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

A last minute booking as all hoteks in cambridge were full unless you wanted to pay an arm and leg. Very welcoming reception staff is usually a good sign. The room I had was up on the top floor, so you need to beware if you are tall - watch out for the top of the door and the beams! Overall the hotel looks quite dated, but is perfectly good - bed was OK, powerful shower, room service so nothing to complain about. Great breakfast in the morning with a good full english - but why they bring you tea in a pot that only fills one cup is a mystery! May not be suitable for everyone - if you are looking for a plush modern hotel with Ikea furniture don't come - but I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback.
The hotel is a 17th century coaching inn and as such, a listed building. We have tried to keep the decor in keeping with this. We do have an ongoing maintenance schedule to keep the hotel looking at its best although as you can appreciate it is a large building to maintain.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and that breakfast was also very good.
I have recently taken over as general manager of the hotel and feedback is how we improve our service.
Again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here for one night before a job assessment the next morning. I arrived in the afternoon, the parking was confusing at first, there is a small parking area just outside of the courtyard entrance which was full at the time. I ended up circling the block several times before noticing the hotel's main car park on Palace street, this is not easy to find if you don't know it's there! It's the next building on from Tk Maxx with an enclosed concrete bridge between it at the hotel. It uses a barrier, and you need a token from reception to open it from the inside to get out.

The hotel's courtyard is very pretty, once inside the hotel entrance I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist who offered me a wake up call and newspapers for the morning, as well as a table reservation for dinner.

As others have mentioned the hotel can seem like a bit of a maze, but you soon get the hang of it. The corridors are all carpeted with exposed rafters in some and good views out over the courtyard. The advantage of these corridors is that you won't hear people thundering up and down, as each 'section' of the hotel only has a few rooms.

My room was very nice, with a large single bed, and I was particularly impressed to have my own iron and board in the wardrobe. My room was above the adjacent car park but you would not be able to tell without looking out the window. I stayed on Sunday night, the restaurant was empty but I enjoyed an excellent meal. The bar is also very well stocked.

Breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice, you can also choose to have breakfast brought to your room by filling out the door card and hanging it outside before bed.

I left quite early in the morning, I would be very happy to stay again and have recommended it to others.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tom G

Thank you for your review.
I am glad you found your stay pleasent.
There is a memorial being built right out the front of the hotel at the moment which is causing some disruption to the hotel. It does mean that there is a slight diversion to get round to our car park, which i am glad you found.
The hotel is a 17th century coaching inn and still has many of its original features E.G. the rafters on show.
Thank you again for your review.
We look forward to welcoming you back here at The Rutland Arms Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Best Western Heath Court Hotel
#6 of 8 in Newmarket
Best Western Priory Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel
#7 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to Rutland Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!