“Good Hotel, Very Good Location”
Review of Rutland Arms Hotel

Rutland Arms Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Knowle, Solihull
“Good Hotel, Very Good Location”
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Booked this hotel as we were visiting Newmarket races. Paid £165 for a suite inc breakfast. The Rutaland Arms is on Newmarket High St with a small free car park round the back of the hotel. Suite 111 was a good size, it had a large four poster style bed and seating area with views over the high st and a nice size bathroom. If your a light sleeper be warned that the bleeping from the pedestrian crossing would seriously annoy you!
The hotel itself has a rustic English charm about it.

The breakfast was excellent. When we arrived it was really busy but the staff soon found us a table. There was a very good choice of juices, cereals and fruit but the main thing was the speed of service considering it was busy. Within 10-15 mins our tea, toast and very tasty full english breakfast had all arrived with a smile.

If your going to the races the course provides a free shuttle sevice. If you turn left out of the hotel the pick up point is about 100yards down the High St outside Hughes electrical shop.

Another recommendation is the Fountain chinese restaurant at the opposite end of the High St to the clock. Very good food which tasted even better after a few winners paid for the bill :)

Overall a good hotel with friendly staff, right in the centre of the town.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
essex
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Stayed for one night last week to take my wife to the evening races followed by a Westlife concert. Booked hotel in May via Booking.com and was very concerned to find room reservation had not been received by the hotel.

I had managed, back in May, to get the last room in the local area as the concert was a sell out but luckily we where met by two very friendly and helpful staff at reception who managed to get us a room in the hotel and within hours change this from a twin to a double (which is what i originally booked).

We went to both rooms and found them spacious and full of character. At the end of the day, its an old building and you expect a bit of character which is what we got.

Bed comfortable, clean and tidy. Bar area was nice and breakfast was excellent. Buffet for cereal, pastries, fruit, juices etc and waitress service for the excellent full english and hot drinks

Its not a close to the race track as it looks on a map, our meeting was on the July course and due to fact that about 20,000 all left at the same time and you cannot pre-book a taxi you either have to wait in a very long queue for them of the free (infrequent) shuttle bus. We walked and it took about 40 minutes along an unlit main road. At least the bar was open to welcome us back.

Overall, had a great stay, downside was the cost - £165 for one night felt a bit excesive for 'special event' pricing but with a sell out crowd 2 miles up the road i guess supply and demand pushes prices up.

I certainly recommend the Rutland and would certainly look to go back for similar event but would avoid Booking.com and arrange room direct instead

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Stayed in Rutland Arms for one night after spending day at Newmarket races! First impressions from outside were good. However, once checked in we found our room to be very, very basic - 2 single beds that could not be pushed together, suitable for shorter than average height people - I am 5,10" and my feet were sticking out end of bed all night!!! One small window, no air con, room very very stuffy (it was not exactly a warm night either)! The bed sheetscontained some very pleasant black hair, not sure if ths is why hotel room so expensive!!! Thick layer of dust and cobwebs hanging down from roof beam! Tea/coffee facilities in double room - only one biscuit - obviously this was to be shared (this may sound picky - but at £165 per night you would expect more!) Mugs looked like they had been there for some time. Our room was on top floor (literally in roof area) and you could hear everything from next room, also when anyone walked passed, due to narrow corrider they could not help but walk against room wall. After a terrible nights sleep, we were woken up at 8.15am for housekeeping!!! Check out time was not until 11am!! To add insult to injury, the morning paper that I had requested, not surprisingly had not been delivered! The staff were not overly bothered about service. However, the breakfast was a highlight - I would recommend anyone to go there for breakfast - BUT PLEASE STAY THE NIGHT AT A DIFFERENT HOTEL!!! To summerise - if I was paying up to £70 per night then it would have been acceptable to a degree, however when you are paying a standard £165 per night you expect much more for your money, and that does not include black hairs in your bed!! The Hotel knows it can charge what it likes due to its good location!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew_S1980
OHIML, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2010
Thank you for you kind comments about breakfast, I am sorry you feel that this was unfortunately the prices we charge during race season are premium prices as this is our peak season - but all of the Hotels in Newmarket operate in this way and we do offer discounts at other times of year and we are one of the more reasonably priced hotels in Newmarket. Our beds are all standard English size singles or doubles dependant on whether you have booked a twin or a double room. i will also be taking your comments back to my head housekeeper about the standards in the room and will ensure that this is addressed immediately.

Travellers are raving about these Newmarket hotels

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Following the cancellation of our booking with another hotel within the same group the party that I was travelling with was moved to the Rutland. I was given an executive double room and assured that it was the second best room in the hotel (a bride and groom had the first). I noted the following.....

The bed frame was beautiful but about a foot larger in width than the diven mattresses that had been placed within it.

The matresses were stacked two high and were very soft.

The room was loacted on the top floor in the eaves and due to the hot weather when I was at the hotel made the room unbearably hot. Two small windows and a small fan were not enough to cool the room to a comfortable temperature. I am not aware that any of the rooms had air conditioning.

During breakfast on my second day I remarked to the server that my toast was stale. She said "Oh, I shall tell the kitchen" and then walked off. My toast was not replaced and she did not appologise. I consider this to be very poor service.

Between the two nights that I stayed at the hotel my room was not serviced - bed not made etc.

While I am not happy with the standard of the hotel I was very pleased with the Manager who was willing to make adjustments to the bill to compensate me. In total I paid £65 per night and this is as much as I would ever be prepared to pay for a hotel of this standard.

I have noted other reviews that remark that the hotel is not suited to families with children in pushchairs due to the distance of some of the rooms and the staircases that need to be negotiated. For this reason the hotel was not suited to the elderly relatives who were part of the group with whom I travelled.

The location is very good if you want to stay on the High Street in Newmarket. Some windows overlook local public houses and therefore there can be noise until about midnight.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank abujanprincess
Thank you for your feedback on our bedrooms, and i am glad that we were able to offer you a discount and resolve the situation whilst you were staying with us. it is true that we are an old Coaching Inn with rooms on different floors and several staircases with no lift, however we do always try to offer guests assistance with their luggage and accommodate any specific requests for 1st floor rooms near to reception when possible. and part of the charm and character of the property is that it isn't a modern building where all of the rooms are identical.
Colorado
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I as in Newmarket for business, the Rutlands Arms is centrally located on the town high (main) street near bakeries, stores and pubs. The property is authentic British lodging. The service was average and the rooms were small but cozy. As with most British establishments in towns, they are not in a hurry, so neither should you be, nuff said. Had a nice stay. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
Potton
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Dropped in for lunch. Paid £15 and then waited far too long for what was a simple order.When it turned up,the chicken/mayo sandwich was awash with mayonnaise and the accompanying matchstick chips were distgustingly bitter, soft and tasted of rancid burnt oil. The panini came with soft soggy suffolk ham, tasteless cheese, and a dreadfully sweet pickle. The coffee was bitter and flavourless. We left leaving about 50% of what we had paid for. By the way I had bottled water as they only had one bitter on offer (John Smiths) probably a wise choice given the appalling food.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2009
Tthank you for comments, I have discussed them with my Head Chef who is extremely concerned that you were not satisfied with your lunch as this is a new menu that he has just introduced. we do apologise, but would like to point out that if it had been brought to our attention at the time we would have offered to replace your dishes as we would always hope that our guests are satisfied with the product we offer and that you leave happy.
My head chef has taken you comments very seriously and will be addressing the issues that you have highlighted with his team.
with regards to only offering John Smiths, we have not before had a problem or a demand for more than one type of Bitter, and do offer a full range of other drinks both alcoholic and non.
london
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Room was dark and dirty and very dated, when complained was told that was the only room available.
Paid £140 but the the room was worth about £40.
The only good thing was the breakfast.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2009
I am sorry you were unhappy with your room, we are however running a rolling program of refurbishment which should prevent this problem in the future, I am glad to hear that you did enjoy our Breakfast.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Best Western Heath Court Hotel
#7 of 8 in Newmarket
The Bull
The Bull
#2 of 3 in Long Melford

Been to Rutland Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!