“Good town centre location, friendly staff, good breakfast, and clean rooms.”
Review of Rutland Arms Hotel

Rutland Arms Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Newmarket
Audlem
“Good town centre location, friendly staff, good breakfast, and clean rooms.”
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We enjoyed staying here. Offered everything we needed for a weekend stay for the races.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
New Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Stayed just one night and no complaints. Check in was efficient, room clean and well maintained. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and very attentive staff. Yes it was a route march to our room but this just add to the charm of the place. We didnt eat here as we met up with friends at another hotel but wished we had.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Barcelona
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I stayed here for Newmarket Races 14/17 Oct and on arrival was met with a very friendly welcome at reception. The room was excellent overlooking the courtyard at the back of the Hotel and barhroom en suite was very clean a good size. Breakfast every day was excellent with lots to choose from and the service was brilliant and served with a smile...
Location in Newmarket great for the Races, and I cannot understand negative comments regarding this Hotel as I could not find one!!!
I have stayed in 3 other hotels in Town before but will definately be staying here for next years racing

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Saxmundham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Booked for Sunday lunch via the Times+ offer. Offered the menu on arrival - quite reasonable for the price. Unable to order a kir as a starter - they didn't know what it was.

The main course and starter were perfectly acceptable. I then reached over to the adjoining table to look at the menu for dessert - not the menu we had been offered and cheaper witha better choice.

I raised this with the duty manager who told me that the Times+ was an all-week offer and that the normal menu was more expensive Monday to Saturday. He also told me that the dishes on the Times+ menu were more expensive to produce - chicken? cod? Ravioli?

Whatever is the norm for the rest of the week, surely an 'offer' menu should beno more expensive than the 'regular' Sunday menu?

My complaint produced no apology and no reduction - our first and only visit.

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank 73480roch
OHIML, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2010
We are currently taking part in the Times offer which started on Friday last week, we are running this 7 days a week and it is a menu made up of dishes selected from our Main A'La Carte Menu and offers good value for money when checked against these individual pricings, however on a Sunday we do run a discounted Sunday Lunch Menu which is a selection of Roast's and is a different quality to our A'La Carte menu, therefore is a cheaper menu.
We apologise for any confusion this has led to and will look at the Sunday offering to ensure that this confusion on price and choice does not occur again.

Travellers are raving about these Newmarket hotels

Taunton
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I booked in on a Sunday. £130 room only. I expected a very nice hotel for this money. The opposite is the case I am afraid to say. There was no one at reception when I arrived so I patiently waited for 5 minutes for someone to come. I was not made to feel very welcome but was I was 'processed' quickly. The room was shabby and dusty. The toilet was broken. I paid £8 for internet access but my room had such a poor signal I had to keep going out of my room and sitting on the stairs to get a signal. Dinner was awful and over priced. I chose mussels to start but they were so small I could hardly find them. It came with a bread roll that had been microwaved, resembled a rubber ball and was unedible.The roast pork dinner was all reheated and horrible. My complaints were met with a shrug with no offer of compensation of any sort.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank davod113
OHIML, General Manager at Rutland Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2010
Thank you for your comments, .

We apologise that no one was there to greet you on reception and that you felt that you were not welcomed, as i would hope that all of my team would make every effort to welcome guests to my hotel and i am sorry you did not feel this .
With regards to your dinner complaint this charge was taken off your bill and apologies were made on check out, and i have since discussed the way this was handled with my late duty manager from Sunday.

we would also like to clarify that the rate was not room only and did include breakfast, and that this was a discounted rate at a peak time of year in Newmarket
Reviewed 9 October 2010

The rooms themselves are not to bad and the location is quite good bring on the high street, although parking can be an issue.
My main annoyance was the food. My wife and I had a lunch, all that was offered was sandwiches or main meals, being a lunch time and having to be somewhere we opted for a sandwich each. What a disapoinent! Eventually the food came and the bread on my sandwich was well past it's best. The salad was limp, the portions were very small and all for nearly £6! I returned my sandwich and I didn't have an apology and when another came along it was almost as bad!
With all this in mind we didn't eat in the restaurant (very high prices) and ate in a vey nice local place down the road.
As a hotel it's ok for a night but the food and service is not up to standard.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Ollyjeff
Thank you for your comments, further to this i will be asking our Head chef to look at the Main Bar Menu offering at lunch time in order to offer more alternatives to our guests.
UK
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Having read some negative comments on here we were somewhat apprehensive about staying here. We were paying a much reduced rate through Sunday Newspaper tokens so didnt expect to get a very good room.
We were though very impressed with the room although it was up a few stairs and along corridors but passing exposed period timbers ( nice touch).
Dinner was superb and breakfast impressed. If we wanted we could find fault but they would be niggly items and very few. Would not though have liked to have paid £165 but certainly good value if you can get a room for £100 ish.
Everywhere was clean and staff very friendly. Our room overlooked the courtyard and was reasonably spacious with seating and flat screen TV.
Car park entrance may be tight if you have a very large car but I had no problems in my Lexus.
Will agree that WI-FI is very expensive.
Hotel could not be more central and we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Best Western Heath Court Hotel
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Travelodge Barton Mills
Travelodge Barton Mills
#2 of 2 in Barton Mills

Been to Rutland Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!