“Beware solo travellers!”

and 1 more site!
Ashley House
Ranked #10 of 11 Newmarket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2012

All the single rooms are loft conversions with very low ceilings and limited space. I had trouble standing up straight in the majority of the room. The hotel is also rather impersonal - there is no reception desk, no communal areas and no-one to greet you when you arrive (not even to give you a key - you are sent a door code in advance). That said, the location is quite good and some of the double rooms I saw looked better. I would still say it is overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LondonParcero

Reviewed 30 June 2012

we used this hotel as a stopover for our evening at the races. I could imagine parking would be hard, but we luckily got a space just behind the hotel. The hotel was basic, but nice and clean, everything you need for a night or a few nights stay. It's in a great location just on the edge of the high street - really good for all the pubs and restaurants. The breakfast could have been awkward as there were only 3 tables, but we just arrived as someone was going. Would go back....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blueval
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We booked this B&B in Newmarket as an overnight stay following a 'Newmarket Nights' concert at the July Course of Newmarket racecourse. We found it via 'Active hotels' as we didn't fancy driving back home very late the same night so thought we'd make a weekend of it and do the races again on saturday.
We contacted the 'Ashley' via Active, and following our booking, were then contacted by email by the owners so to confirm our booking and other detail. We were also contacted as a reminder of our booking about a week before our visit. We arrived at a pre-arranged time, note though that there is no car park and so you have to take a bit of pot luck to park on the streets nearby.
We were greeted by the 'Ashley' house-keeper who showed us to our room, a very pleasant large sized room (Room 1, which was more like a suite) with separate lounge area and en-suite bathroom. Room is well presented and very clean and tidy with a comfortable bed, good quantity of towels and the all important Kettle, Tea, coffee and biscuits.
Although sited against a main road from the centre of Newmarket, we were not disturbed by noise from traffic overnight, even though the busy nightlife is only approx 500m away in the high street areas.
Breakfast was served between 08.00 & 10.00 and was freshly cooked to order with local produce. We noted that the breakfast room was downstair in a basement area and was restricted in size to the point that there was only 3 tables so you may have to share your table with others, but it did not spoil our stay.
Overall, a very enjoyable overnight stay, we feel value for money, We have to say that we would use this B&B again when staying in Newmarket for functions or races.

Room Tip: They are all nice rooms here.......
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2011

My family (wife and two kids) and I stayed at Ashley house for two nights while visiting family in Newmarket. We found the whole experience brilliant, after booking direct over the phone I the room was the same. The room was spotless, tidy and comfortable with good en suite facilities. In the morning we went downstairs for breakfast, our breakfast orders were taken and our breakfasts were quickly delivered! The breakfasts were well cooked and tasty. In conclusion the whole stay was completely trouble free and we enjoyed it. However, be prepared to not see any staff until breakfast as there is no reception or staff (which suited us fine!)

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Wll2715
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights to visit relatives in my home town. I've never experienced anything quite like it!

It's very centrally located and the location was ideal for my purposes. Whilst it's not really cheap, it was the cheapest I could find in the town for the nights of my stay, so I booked on-line. They took the payment 24 hours before arrival and then sent details of the entry codes for the front door of the Guest House and my room by e-mail. (Naturally I didn't read this, so arrived and couldn't get in, so had to phone to get the codes I needed- but I agree that is my own fault)!

Having gained entry, I then found there are no staff on duty, so you effectively check yourself in and have to work out where your room is and then gain entry yourself- moving about so the sensors on the lights don't go off while you're opening the door. Once in, my room was clean, fairly spacious, basically equipped and had a comfortable bed. The whole experience was very clinical and soul-less.

My room overlooked the fairly busy street, so it doesn't get quiet until late and traffic starts about 6 a.m. I could cope in the winter with closed windows, but can't imagine what it's like in the summer.

The shower worked fine, but has no adjustment, so you have to wear the provided shower cap if you don't want wet hair every time you use it.

In the morning, you go down to the basement for breakfast and there I met the only member of staff I saw in the 2 days I was there- the chef/ waitress/ cleaner. There is an adequate range of cereals and a nicely cooked breakfast (but it doesn't include Powter's beautiful Newmarket Sausages- shame given that you're in Newmarket)!

As my elderly mother lives in the town in a home that has nowhere for me to stay, I shall be visiting Newmarket frequently and will need accommodation. However, I would only use Ashley House again if there was nothing else available in a comparable or cheaper price range. They'll have problems when the new Premier Inn opens next year!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Henso
Reviewed 4 September 2010

A bit of weird experience, I thought it was going to be staying at an upmarket B & B in a traditional Georgian house. In fact the only Georgian bit is the façade. Beyond the front door it is like a travel lodge but you never meet anyone other than the kitchen staff who were friendly enough but a bit scatty.
Room was okay and the breakfast was quite good - especially the sausages.
Not a place to go if you want personal attention and period charm

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I stayed in Ashley house for one of the evening races and found it an excellent hassle free place to stay. Our door codes were e-mailed promptly after payment. The hotel was clean, comfortable and modern. Would recommend!

• Stayed: July 2010