“Clean, simple and fantastic!”
Review of Ashley House

Ashley House
and 1 more site!
Ashley House
Ranked #10 of 11 Newmarket B&B and Inns
“Clean, simple and fantastic!”
Reviewed 12 February 2011

My family (wife and two kids) and I stayed at Ashley house for two nights while visiting family in Newmarket. We found the whole experience brilliant, after booking direct over the phone I the room was the same. The room was spotless, tidy and comfortable with good en suite facilities. In the morning we went downstairs for breakfast, our breakfast orders were taken and our breakfasts were quickly delivered! The breakfasts were well cooked and tasty. In conclusion the whole stay was completely trouble free and we enjoyed it. However, be prepared to not see any staff until breakfast as there is no reception or staff (which suited us fine!)

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Wll2715

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bournemouth
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights to visit relatives in my home town. I've never experienced anything quite like it!

It's very centrally located and the location was ideal for my purposes. Whilst it's not really cheap, it was the cheapest I could find in the town for the nights of my stay, so I booked on-line. They took the payment 24 hours before arrival and then sent details of the entry codes for the front door of the Guest House and my room by e-mail. (Naturally I didn't read this, so arrived and couldn't get in, so had to phone to get the codes I needed- but I agree that is my own fault)!

Having gained entry, I then found there are no staff on duty, so you effectively check yourself in and have to work out where your room is and then gain entry yourself- moving about so the sensors on the lights don't go off while you're opening the door. Once in, my room was clean, fairly spacious, basically equipped and had a comfortable bed. The whole experience was very clinical and soul-less.

My room overlooked the fairly busy street, so it doesn't get quiet until late and traffic starts about 6 a.m. I could cope in the winter with closed windows, but can't imagine what it's like in the summer.

The shower worked fine, but has no adjustment, so you have to wear the provided shower cap if you don't want wet hair every time you use it.

In the morning, you go down to the basement for breakfast and there I met the only member of staff I saw in the 2 days I was there- the chef/ waitress/ cleaner. There is an adequate range of cereals and a nicely cooked breakfast (but it doesn't include Powter's beautiful Newmarket Sausages- shame given that you're in Newmarket)!

As my elderly mother lives in the town in a home that has nowhere for me to stay, I shall be visiting Newmarket frequently and will need accommodation. However, I would only use Ashley House again if there was nothing else available in a comparable or cheaper price range. They'll have problems when the new Premier Inn opens next year!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Henso
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2010

A bit of weird experience, I thought it was going to be staying at an upmarket B & B in a traditional Georgian house. In fact the only Georgian bit is the façade. Beyond the front door it is like a travel lodge but you never meet anyone other than the kitchen staff who were friendly enough but a bit scatty.
Room was okay and the breakfast was quite good - especially the sausages.
Not a place to go if you want personal attention and period charm

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Newmarket hotels

Reviewed 24 August 2010

I stayed in Ashley house for one of the evening races and found it an excellent hassle free place to stay. Our door codes were e-mailed promptly after payment. The hotel was clean, comfortable and modern. Would recommend!

• Stayed July 2010
London
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Recently visited Newmarket for a weekends racing and treat for my husbands birthday we stayed at Ashley house and paid £110.00 and had high expectations for this price. WRONG on arrival there was one teabag on the tea tray, no parking. Cheap pine furnishings.
The next morning the breakfast room was to small to accommodate the guests staying there and we were asked to come back when space was available, there are 9 rooms here with 3 breakfast tables. That evening when returning back to the room it had not been serviced , we left our room at 10:00 and came back for 30 minutes at 11:00 however our take away wrappers from the previous evening were still left in the bin. Dirty cups , bed unmade and damp towels. The remote control was not working, needed new batteries I guess as a comment made in trip advisor in May. No bin in the bathroom no chain on the plug to basin in bathroom. Overall extremely poor value for money. This establishment is run purely for profit making purposes there is no service to the customer it gets 0/10 from us.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bell7a
Eastbourne
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We arrived at the B&B and found it very easy to access the door via the entry codes already given to us by e-mail. It seemed rather strange to not check in and speak to anyone. However, the only down side to this was that the previous occupier was late checking out and so we pretty much burst in on them. Clearly they don't change the door codes between visits, not sure if this would pose a security risk? The room was fairly bijou but at least it was clean. The ensuite shower room had an interesting quirky toilet which moved every time you sat on it. Good tea/coffee making facilities. Small T.V with DVD player clinging on to the wall. We had a room at the front of the hotel and there was the normal traffic noise you would expect being on a main road. We managed to get a parking space in the road behind the hotel in front of the best western hotel. Excellent location for being in the centre of the town and not far from the races. I don't think the price reflects what you get as you could get more in a travel lodge, you are paying to be nearer the race course. The breakfast was well cooked if a little sparse, however, plenty of cereal on hand. Good place to stay for 1/2 nights as a place to put your stuff and lay your head.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SatMaz
Wiltshire
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Slightly odd B&B with no staff to welcome you or guide you to your room. It is all done via remote e-mail or telephone to get some door access codes that let you in to the hotel and your room, without the usual meet and greet. Breakfast was fine, certainly well cooked but not exactly loads to eat on the plate. Breakfast was the only time we saw a member of staff (Presumably one of the owners?) . This person was friendly and efficient.
The rooms were very basic in terms of fittings, but they were clean and a good size. Bed a bit too soft, but nice and big. TV in the room was the smallest in the world and the TV remote did not work.
The bathrooms were nice and the shower was very good with plenty of hot water.
The B&B was in a good location, close to the town centre, however, parking is provided only on a busy road outside the B&B. There is no guest car park.
At £85 a room per night we were left decidedly underwhelmed - the breakfast was the only thing that prevented us giving this B&B just two stars out of five. We would not go back ourselves but if clean, no thrills basics are fine with you (And you would be happy to pay about £85 a night for that) then you will find this place more to your liking.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple