“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in - period”

Bull Hotel - Woodbridge
Ranked #13 of 21 Woodbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 July 2010

My God. Where do I begin? I suppose from the beginning...with deep breaths. We drove to Woodbridge and when we saw this 'hotel', we tried to park. Unfortunately, it is a one way system and we ended up at a dead end, down the road, where there was a police van and a load of youths, yelling and causing a public nuisance. Not a good start, I thought. We eventually made it into the hotel car park. Think of a sewer. Nuff said.
When we got to the front, there were a bunch of drunken louts hanging around outside, as we made our way in, one of them flicked my wife's hair, then felt my neck. No matter, we thought, when we get to the hotel part, this will be better.
Reception looked like a prison cell, with iron bars covering the windows. The woman was rude and brash and gave us our keys. All I can say is that the stairs to get up to the rooms are a safety risk and it is so squashed, you feel the walls caving in on you. There is no straight floors either, dips in the strangest of places.
Our room stunk of wet and was so dated, the wallpaper and floors looked like something out of the 1940's. There were blood stains on the wall, wet patches everywhere, a dead spider in the bathroom and the water stunk of chlorine in the toilet.
The bed was so uncomfortable it felt like a trampoline, and the floor dipped, so the bed was at an angle.
As other reviewers have said, there were louts hanging around the front until about 1:30am, and there were police EVERYWHERE. I heard people yelling and throwing bottles. This, along with the bed and the boiling room (no air con obviously), led to a horrible nights sleep.
Breakfast was horrible. Fried bread was literally oil being poured into my mouth. The mushrooms were rubbery, the toast was in a bread box, (mouldy), you had to make yourself, the lights in the room were covered in dust and the staff who served were disinterested.
Couldn't wait to get out of here as quick as possible. It really really looks like a boarding school, I promise you.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Moses455

Reviewed 11 June 2010

We stayed at The Bull Hotel from 6th-10th June. The hotel is run by a delightful family who did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable, all the staff were cheerful and helpful, the food is excellent and good value. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped, off road parking is available. The Bull is located in the centre of Woodbridge and serves as the perfect location to visit the area. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I have never before felt compelled to write a review about any hotel that I have visited but I do feel that The Bull Hotel at Woodbridge is badly represented on this forum. We had booked 4 double rooms on a Bank Holiday weekend and we were all situated in different parts of the hotel so I imagine we had a fairly good sample of the rooms between us.
It's fair to say that this hotel is in an old building so anyone expecting the uniformity of the 'plastic palace' hotels is likely to be dissapointed. There are many low doorways, narrow staircases and sloping floors. Some may think this is unacceptable but I call it character. My double room had a small shower toilet, view of the carpark but a gourgous large comfortable bed. No problem at all. As for references to gangs of louts outside all night all I can say is that they must have all been away for the weekend. No noise was experienced by any of us other that what can be reasonabably be expected from any hotel. Breakfast was freshly cooked, substantial and a lot better that I have had in many 'better' hotels.

Clearly some people have had bad experiences. All I can say is that I am quick to complain when things don't meet my expectations and I have absolutely no reason to complain about any part of my stay at The Bull, either abot the establishment itself or any of the staff.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2010

A night in hell! Booked for the weekend but only stayed one night! Our room was under the entrance to their bar which stays open till one and still had drunken kids play fighting outside at two am. Oh and the police were in attendance and when we spoke to them they said that it was like this most weekends!
When I asked if they would have a word with the kids outside the owner said that it's not his problem and that I could get out of his hotel there and then (to paraphrase). Nice. Oh and we also asked of they could change our room which got an equally unpleasant reply.

Anyway we found another BnB in the immediate area for the Saturday evening and it was lovely. We had a great meal at the top of the town square in a little Turkish place (up with the best in London). Such a shame that The Bull has a licence to operate right in the middle of such a beautiful town square.

Oh and finally to add insult injury they insisted on charging us. I’m looking to get my money back under the “misrepresentation of goods” act.. You have been warned!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Our stay at this hotel was a huge disappointment. This night out was a birthday surprise for my partner and I was looking forward to a relaxed, romantic and secluded night. I booked the four poster room by phone with dinner, bed and breakfast (there is no facility for booking a particular room on the web site) my confirmation was e mailed without the dinner booking included. I e mailed to alter this three times with no response or to my phone call on the day of arrival. On arrival, not only had I not been booked in for the dinner, bed and breakfast deal, but was not booked into the four poster room either!
We were shown to a room at the front of the hotel which I didn’t want as I thought it may be noisy. The room was adequate but had no bath. I went back to reception to speak to the owner of the hotel who was courteous and apologetic but could not change the room so included dinner in the price of the double room. This was only what I had booked for in the first place at the same price so did not constitute any add on or reduction.
There were no teabags or milk in our room so went down to reception (again) to pick some up. We were given 2 teabags and 2 milk portions. The milk was off and congealed into cheesy lumps undetected till the last fetid mouthful. I returned cup with contents to reception – no apology, though after 2 requests I got another 2 teabags and a small jug of milk.
Drinks in the afternoon were served following another guest who had been waiting at the bar for ten minutes and was very unhappy.
Dinner was pleasant enough but the ambience ruined by appalling karaoke in the hotel bar. I did wonder why there were two security guards in there for a very few people but soon discovered the reason. We returned to our room around 9.30pm to be treated to five solid hours (until 2.30am) of screeching, swearing, cackling and shouting from what appeared to be about 20 of the star cast from ‘Binge Drinking Britain’ directly under our window. The climax of this was a fight breaking out and the attendance of two police vans but the people did not disperse. I rang reception (by this time I was nearly in tears) to see if the security could get them to move on but, guess what? No reply!
Breakfast mediocre; you’d get the same in Asda for £1.99. A shower revealed no hairdryer in the room and one of the drawers on the mismatched furniture fell apart as I searched for one. No reduction to our bill was offered.
I appreciate that the hotel cannot control what goes on outside their premises but I think that potential guests need to be aware of this – if you want a peaceful getaway, forget it! There is a small public car park right in front of the hotel so a combination of smokers from inside and a gathering point for others looks like a usual fixture. I’ve never before stayed in a country hotel where there are uniformed security guards on the door in the evening so this kind of public behaviour is obviously not a one off.
If I had got the room I booked in the first place we may have been less disturbed by outside but many of the rooms are at the front anyway.
Booking mistakes, badly appointed rooms, not enough staff, no response to e mails and phone calls, appallingly located - you couldn’t pay me to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2010

For £65 a night this hotel is considerably cheaper than many other hotels in woodbrige (ia lovely town by the way)...but i certainly would not go back. It wasnt that the hotel was being re-decorated, or that the staff were away in their own little world, and so not that friendly....or concerned about how you, their customer are, it wasnt even the matchstick i found in my mushrooms in the morning for breakfast (apart for that, the breakfast was fine), it was just that, with the pub not closing til 12.30 at night it was difficult to get to sleep before 1am.....it is noisy, the customers seemed (sounded) lary. The owners are seemingly trying to make this a going concern, and have obviously spent some money doing up the downstairs....but hotel and noisy pub are not good bedfellows and the staff typified the poor service you get from most twentsomethings nowadays in pubs, restaurants, hotels,,,,,clueless and laking any charm. On the plus side, well, the location is very good, and the room was roomy and it was comfortable. But i wouldnt go again and i couldnt recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marcovanbatty
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Popular venue in the centre of the charming small town of Woodbridge. Reasonably priced bed and breakfast, spotless smallish rooms, plenty of towels, excellent breakfast, helpful and pleasant staff. It is a small hotel, so carry your own luggage and yes the stairs are steep.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
#5 of 21 in Woodbridge
Cherry Tree Inn
Cherry Tree Inn
#8 of 21 in Woodbridge

Been to Bull Hotel - Woodbridge? Share your experiences!