“Bed as comfy as home”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
Leeds, UK
“Bed as comfy as home”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stayed here overnight for business purposes. Very easy to find just off the A12. This is a lovely old house dating back to 1530 or thereabouts with all the character you'd expect.

Once i'd checked in the receptionist said, "Charles will take your bag and show you to your room." So Charles was summoned and he did just that. Up the creaky stairs, over the uneven floor to my room. Must admit I was getting worried as, even though the place was spotless, it was a bit ramshackled, but I should not have been.

I had a thoroughly modern room in keeping with the age of the building - all beams, thick walls and leaded windows. Free fast wifi was promised throughout and I was very sceptical but it worked and so did i! The modern wall mounted TV had a limited range of Freeview channels - but that would be down to reception in the area. Modern bathroom with a limited supply of toiletries but with the best towels I've ever seen/used. Good range of teas/coffees in the room and even a tea pot - small cups though.

The restaurant was closing early that night but I am one for room service when I am on my own. However the choice was limited - full meals or sandwiches, nothing in between. So I popped to the local supermarket.

I was worried about sleeping. The bed was an old wooden frame with scary carvings, I watched a particularly scary episode of Silent Witness and I could hear floorboards creaking. But I slept like a baby in the comfiest bed I've ever slept in apart from my own. Until the local geese woke me at about 6am.

Good shower with lots of hot water and lots of pressue. The hair dryer provided was a travel type but it was reasonable powerful - better than my own.

I did not have breakfast, having an early meeting.

All in all - a great place to stay. I'll certainly go back.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Sandandseaforme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Spent a weekend at this hotel after staying there once before and really enjoying it. We had an inclusive package that included 2 nights bed and breakfast plus dinner. We stayed in the courtyard, nice size room but very tired furniture and a very hard mattress. The dinner on the first night was very good but on the second night I chose the fish which was plaice and salmon wrapped in filo pastry, the salmon was very salty which spolit the whole dish. The head waiter came over and apologised but did not offer to change the meal or ask if I would prefer something else. This hotel lives on it's reputation which this time did not live up to expectations, Very disappointed this time

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahA400
london
Reviewed 24 April 2012

What a beautiful LOOKing place, grand and full of history. But on our first visit, Im very sad to say the restaurant and service did not live up the the initial splendor of the place.

To start we found the rooms were nice and comfortable, but the house keeping rule of banging on everyones door on a Sunday morning at 8am to ensure everyone was up for breakfast is out of date not to mention incredibly inconsiderate!!!

We dinned in the restaurant on the Saturday evening and were kept waiting 30 mins for our table before we were sat. The head waiter never apologised or explained what was going on. We were keep to eat. More dissapointment when my main course arrived. (I had ordered a cheese brulee, the only vegi option on the menu.) A pot of bland puree arrived....that was it! No crunchy garlic bread to perhaps spread it on, or offor of some toast, or crispy potatoes or something! It was even served with a small spoon........(Mothercare would have been proud!) The head waiter was not interested and still charged the full meal.
Needless to say we will never return and we will tell our friends to avoid it.
Such a shame...it looks so nice from the outside.

Room Tip: the rooms overlooking the gardens in the main house were lovely.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wonderwebby
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2012

If you are looking for a good hotel in Suffolk, within minutes of a pretty riverside town (Woodbridge) then Seckford Hall is worth staying at. Whilst not cheap it is reasonable value. We went mid week at the end of 11 weeks on the road and whilst not the best hotel we stayed at it did have some winning points. Lovely old building, good pleasant staff, nice bar and dining room, good food and nice rooms (we had a single for my son and an upgrade to a suite for us) and free wifi (which is becoming a must have.)
Our bed was not great (hard - I used a duvet from a spare bed for extra padding) but other than that the accommodation was excellent, especially the bathroom which my wife considered one of the best on this trip. Tiny point but ..why is there no place to put the soap after hand washing ??
It would be good if the hotel offered a simple breakfast option...we just have tea and cereal - which at Pds 14.00 each was less than attractive. The formality of the hotel is a nice feature but maybe rather daunting for people with young children.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrew S
Wiltshire
Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed here recently for a business trip, the hotel is set in super grounds and has a lovely traditional feel about the place. I hosted a dinner in the restaurant with clients in the dinning room and the food and service was first class. Would happy go here again no problem what so ever.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Mully1979
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

A beautiful Tudor building, with lovely grounds. We stayed for 2 nights and had the whole B&B and evening meal package - it was perfect! Unfortunately we just didn't have room for the afternoon tea that was part of the deal. We stayed in the barns - which were immaculate and tasteful. The staff were brilliant - from reception to chambermaids - nothing was too much trouble; they all went the extra mile in dealing with residents. It was very impressive! Would very definitely recommend it, and would love to return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tamara59
UK
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Thls is a no nonsense hotel, where rules are made to be obeyed, and in a way that's rather nice these days to find a place that has standards. No chewing gum in the pool and leisure area. No T shirts or trainers at dinner. I had obviously overlooked this point when I booked, and my my husband made 'do' with the same shirt two nights running, but we decided not to dine at £31.50 a person a third night, although the food was delicious and the service great, for want of a shirt the third night .... well Seckford Hall rules are rules. The fittings and furnishings are beautiful, and the setting of Seckford Hall splendid, lovely grounds full of daffodils, and a lake.

Our room was in the main house, and the fabrics well chosen in primrose and pale blue made the most of the dappled light through the mullion lead tudor windows. The room was small compared to what I would usually accept, the four poster was beautifully carved and the bed itself comfortable, although barely a double difficult to get used to from a super-king!! The bathroom was small too, but OK – the toilet was just a bit too close to the wall so not much leg room. The shower was OK would be great if it was a power shower. The towel rails were lovely for warming our towels, we went with our own face flannels, as they don’t provide them. I would suggest the fabric on the furnished chairs could do with a good deep clean, as previous guests had obviously not worm underwear when they sat down, so I made sure to cover them with a towel when I sat down. There was a good choice of tea in a wooden box and they provided small bottles of mineral water in glass bottles.

The leisure centre closes early on Sundays and Mondays worth noting if you want a swim after a long day. The pool itself was OK, but the tiles could do with a refurb a bit cracked and dirty, the depth sign is showing signs of rust. The Jacuzzi was fine and gave out 5 minute bursts of bubbles, so we used 5 of those to get a good jacuoooz.
Do try the lobster thermidor, it would be too expensive to rescue all the lobsters with their claws tied up in the fresh water pool – but I at least rescued one. You do get an amuse bouche when you dine at the restaurant. If you are taking the 3 course evening meal, go hungry.

Breakfasts are served on very hot plates a good standard; the local Proctor butcher’s sausages were good, and the buffet choice reasonable. One small criticism though the first day I asked for tomato ketchup, and was getting a juice when it arrived and came back to find it plonked on my plate, I would rather of liked to have added it myself. The waitress had apparently asked my husband where to put the ketchup! Needless to say that caused a bit of an unnecessary argument! The marmalade is good.

Afternoon tea is a delight a good choice of cakes and a bucket of cream to enjoy with nice scones.

The bar was a good area for pre-dinner drinks and bar snacks. But, I always find old tressle sewing machine tables a bit uncomfortable to sit at. The cranberry drink I had was just a mixer, I am used to a nice long high ball glass of cranberry or even a pint glass. The limited Sunday night bar menu was OK and the chips good. However, the cheese and pickle and ham and mustard sandwiches we ordered came without pickle and mustard, a small point.
Overall, it was a comfortable stay, the staff were very efficient and pleasant. We would go back, but perhaps next time try out one of the court yard new rooms, or at least one with a larger bed.

The venue is near to Sutton Hoo the famous Viking burial site and not too distant from Dunwich the lost town - both of which are worth a visit, and there are some lovely walks around. If you enjoy a concert Snape Maltings are near too check out the Aldeburgh Music festival.

Room Tip: Gents bring enough shirts to wear if you want to dine in the evening, and shoes and no trainers
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Qixu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
#1 of 1 in Kesgrave

Been to Seckford Hall? Share your experiences!