“Beautiful hotel in midst of renovations but abysmal restaurant service”
Review of Seckford Hall

Seckford Hall
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
London
“Beautiful hotel in midst of renovations but abysmal restaurant service”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Knowing this place to be a beautiful and picturesque hotel we arrived here en route somewhere else for what we wanted to be a quickish dinner. It was a warm and sunny day so we sat outside on their terrace overlooking a beautiful garden with a lake.
Taking our order at 6.20pm we were told by the waiter that the restaurant staff were on a short break. The waiter took our order and brought drinks but after 30 mins I asked where our starters were and we were then told the chefs were not back till 7.00pm and the starters did not arrive for another half an hour after that. One of the starter requests was forgotten and we were brought out the wrong food by another waitress. The linen on our table was dirty with crumbs and a stain and the ashtray was totally chipped (as were all of the other ashtrays on the other tables).
The kids' meals were nicely presented and my fish was good but I was now feeling rushed (as it was one and a half hours after we sat down) so the experience was spoiled. The chocolate sauce on the kids' profiteroles was watery and this dish was left uneaten. The unapologetic Maitre D said "you were told the staff were on a break" which was a really useful thing to tell an unhappy customer - a glass of sparkling water was left off the bill - not a huge gesture - needless to say, no tip was left. Some customer service training required.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
MarkSuddes, Operations Director at Seckford Hall, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear HaskelUK
Sorry to read about your disappointing dining experience in the gardens of Seckford Hall - I have scheduled a meeting with the Kitchen and food service team to discuss service times as it appears in light of your feedback that we need to review our service times.
I apologise that this marred your dining experience at Seckford Hall and do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves at a future date
With kind regards
Mark Suddes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Stratford st Mary suffolk
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed at Seckford Hall for the best part of two days before my wedding. Obviously it was a busy and stressful time leading up to my arrival at Seckford Hall but that all changed the second I arrived. Mark and his lovely team welcomed us warmly, looked after us wonderfully form the start to the finish of our stay and made the lead up to my Wedding just magical. There were three adults and four children in our group and I can honestly say our children were made to feel equally as welcome and as at home as us adults. My slight fears about having children of various ages staying with in such an upmarket environment were completely unfounded and it became abundently clear that families, couples and singles were all treated with equal kindness, professionalism and respect. It goes without saying that the hotel is superb, the food, the accommodation the staff in fact every facet of Seckford Hall exceeded my expectations. What really shone through though was Mark and his teams total commitment to ensuring a wonderfully enjoyable and extremely comfortable stay. We had a superb time. I had a lovely wedding day and I'm sure a part of that was due to how perfectly my Wedding day started at Seckford Hall. My thanks to you all and I will certainly be staying again. I genuinely could not recommend Seckford Hall more highly. In this busy busy world it is a genuine Oasis of calm and beauty, simply perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay prior to your wedding day - it really is useful for other guests to read your experience at Seckford Hall. It is encouraging to learn that we all looked after you before setting off to the Church.
You'll have to bring your new husband for a romantic getaway next time!
With best wishes
Palmers Green, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

After a long day cycling I arrived at this gorgeous Hotel in a perfect location! When I arrived the gentleman behind the desk kindly showed me my room then stored my bike away in the shed over night. I then relaxed in my beautiful clean comfortable room with a great view. The facilities in the Hotel are great so are the staff.

I ate a 3 course meal in the restaurant, it is reasonably priced for the standard and quality of food that is produced. The rib-eye steak was cooked to perfection and the presentation was stunning.

I then went back to my hotel room where there was free wifi! After made my way to the Bar and met the kind and helpful Bar lady Sue who was great at making enjoyable conversation as well as showing me where to get a nice peaceful seat outside where I could make a couple of phone calls!

Would recommend this hotel to everyone!

Also the Bed was so comfy!

Regards

David

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear David
Thank you for your review of the Hotel after your recent stay whilst cycling around Suffolk. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your dinner and will recommend our hotel to others.
We do hope to welcome you back soon
Very best wishes
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

On the advice of some friends who had been blown away by a recent stay at the reinvigorated Seckford Hall we gave it a go for a long weekend. It was a real treat. From the moment we walked in the staff were friendly and attentive and could not do enough for us. We had been told by our friends, who are regulars that it had been refurbed pretty much throughout to freshen it up bring it into the modern age. We stayed in one of the new rooms which was spotless and offered absolute tranquility. Seckford Hall lies in the most stunning grounds and I would challenge anyone to go there and not fall in love with the place. Truly excellent dining in a wonderful restaurant that has apparently received some much needed attention according to our friends.The food was characterised by simple and fresh and not the overly complicated slightly mad offerings so often put forward as being great cuisine in similarly rated hotels. A blissful weekend and my only regret is that I didnt organise the classic car to play with while my wife was neck deep in the Spa !!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review of our Hotel - it is lovely to learn that you had such an enjoyable stay! Special thanks to your friend for suggesting Seckford Hall - we do hope to see you again soon
Kind regards
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have just spent a wonderful 2 days at Seckford Hall, as you drive into the property it has the wow factor and you can just imagine what it must have been like in Tudor times. We had booked the Tudor room and slept in a 4 poster Tudor bed - rumour has it Elizabeth 1 slept in it but I think it is probably a different mattress to the one she would have had! The staff are so helpful and nothing is too much trouble and the food is excellent. There was a wedding there on the Saturday but it didn't inconvenience us in the slightest. The setting of the hotel and the grounds are so relaxing and beautiful. There is wood paneling and engravings everywhere and you can just sense the history contained within this beautiful building.

Room Tip: We had the Tudor room which is one of the feature rooms and we would highly recommend treating yours...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kimjune
MarkSuddes, Operations Manager at Seckford Hall, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear user kimjune
We are thrilled you had an enjoyable stay in the Tudor Suite enjoying the large four poster bed which is the main feature of the suite.
Thank you for your lovely comments about the team - we hope to welcome you back in the near future
Kind regards
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have been to Seckford Hall over many years as it has been a family favourite but today was our last visit, I would not return again. I wanted to cry when we entered the restaurant as the recent renovation had involved ripping out the heart and sole of the room. The interior designer has removed any resemblance of the 1530s ambience and created a room which is akin to a Trusthouse Forte hotel! The beautiful tapestry removed and in its place a hideous wall light, tables and chairs that would not look out of place in an Ikea showroom and flooring that could have been used in a Haven static caravan. The food was pleasant and up to normal standard for the restaurant but without the pleasant surroundings it left only a taste of sad disappointment. On talking to the staff it seems that the whole of the property is in for similar destructive treatment and I was astonished to learn they are adding a burger bar! If you want to book a holiday in an historic building Seckford Hall is no longer the place to go especilaly after all renovation is complete. This property would now be better used as a backdrop for TOWIE.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
MarkSuddes, Operations Director at Seckford Hall, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear user Lorna L
Any refurbishment project in any building is an incredibly emotive subject, let alone Seckford Hall which captures so many memories and experiences for many of our guests. 1530, the new name of our restaurant at Seckford Hall has been totally refurbished with cosmetic changes throughout the room. As another review mentions, the paneling and charm of the Hall have been preserved whilst ensuring that a 21st century guest has everything that one is accustomed to in this day and age.
For the benefit of other readers, it is worth mentioning that we are investing heavily in this beautiful Tudor House to ensure that generations to come enjoy the Hall with one of the first areas refurbished being 1530 which hadn't been refurbished for decades and boasted a thread bare carpet!
We're evolving here at Seckford Hall; I 'm sorry that 1530 isn't to your personal taste
Mark Suddes
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My family and I went to Seckford Hall for a celebratory meal on the weekend, we were in the 1530 restaurant in the main hotel building. Despite the restaurant being busy with a function and a private wedding party happening elsewhere, the service was very good and the food was amazing. There was a wide range on the menu including an option for vegetarians and it was all excellently prepared and elegantly presented. The food is a little pricey and the wine more so but for a special occasion it was brilliant and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely review of 1530 - we are pleased you enjoyed the evening in our new restaurant.
We look forward to seeing you again soon
With very best wishes
Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
#1 of 1 in Kesgrave

Been to Seckford Hall? Share your experiences!