“Perfect Wedding Venue”
Review of Seckford Hall

Seckford Hall
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We had our wedding reception at Seckford Hall at the end of this summer and we really could not fault the experience. During the time leading up to the wedding the staff were very helpful and organised in arranging the plans for the day, we were regularly in touch and they were more than happy to answer any queries that we had. They were very accommodating of what we wanted - we chose to opt out of some of the more formal procedures in a wedding and they were happy to offer any advice in making our day flow perfectly. The staff laid the room up exactly how we wanted and it looked stunning – every detail was perfect. The venue is incredible, the gardens are very well looked after and round by the lake is absolutely stunning. Our wedding photos are gorgeous, not only did the grounds provided such a stunning backdrop but also the building itself it amazing. The staff were well presented and polite, the food was fantastic and served promptly. We have been to weddings before where the food has been served staggered but it was not the case at Seckford. Waiting staff were quick to clear empty plates and top up empty glasses. We also stayed for our wedding night and the room we had was beautiful. It had a 4 four poster bed and beautiful furniture, the room was clean, comfortable and charming. The whole hotel could not be faulted for its cleanliness, there was not a speck of dust anywhere and the whole hotel was immaculate.
We had the most perfect wedding day and it exceeded our expectations. The staff worked very hard to make the day very special and the character of the hotel is beautiful. For anyone looking for an amazing wedding day then Seckford is the perfect venue in every way.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
MarkSuddes, Operations Director at Seckford Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear user Beccy M
From the outset, thank you for choosing Seckford Hall to host your special day - bride and grooms have such a choice in the wedding market place; thanks for choosing Seckford!
You have provided a lovely review of your special day - thank you for capturing this for future guests to hear of your experience
Please do pop in soon for a coffee with a copy of your photographs to have a look through!
Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights last week on business. There were 3 of us staying each with different rooms, so I will sum each of them up:

Suite - my colleague had a 2 bedroom suite (room 39). Only looked round but he was pleased with it. It had a double bedroom and a twin room, a lounge, lovely balcony and bathrooms etc. This room is not in the main house but the other side of the gravel carpark. Not an issue though.

Double (room 21) - this was my room. A beautiful room with modern bathroom overlooking the lovely walled gardens.

Single - (room 19). Avoid at all costs. This is a tiny room with a bed pushed up to the wall, very low ceiling, no shower and it was freezing. It was so bad that my colleague asked to be moved the 2nd night. They had nowhere to put her other than the executive suite which we took for another £20 a night. In the end my colleague preferred to stay in the main house so she took my double room enabling me to take the suite.

Executive Suite - (room 37). For the business rate I paid (under £90), this was a lovely room. A lounge to watch telly in the evening, a large bathroom and a 4 poster double bedroom. However, if I had paid full rack rate I would have been disappointed - mainly as it was in need of a refurb (and mentioned by others on here). Although it had character, it was dated and was a bit tired. I didn't get to use my jacuzzi bath but had I not been here on business I would have tried it out.

We didn't eat in the evenings so can only comment on the breakfast which was cooked to order (apart from the usual fruits and cereals). Sometimes the food did take far too long to arrive - considering there were only a few tables occupied.

We did manage to sit outside one evening and have a drink and the grounds are magnificent - I only wish if had time to explore.

So, for the price I paid it was lovely. Oozing with character and charm. Not likely to be in the area again but would definitely consider returning.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank glitterbomb4ever

Thank you for your comprehensive review of Seckford Hall - I am pleased that you mention you would consider returning to Seckford Hall if you return to the area; I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you on a leisure basis rather than business!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

On arrival at the age of 92 and rather disabled, I asked a porter to assist my friend (not quite as old) to bring in the luggage. I got a curt "No, I'm busy". After climbing up the difficult staircase with unfriendly handrails, I reached my bedroom and found it was so small it would be difficult to get into the bed from either side. There was a step to get into the room and another to get into the bathroom. The room was not fully cleaned as there was dirt and rubbish at the back of the tiny chest of drawers. The window did not close tight and I feel the cold and draughts. We had arrived at 2.00pm and asked if we could have some food and were told that the chef had gone home but we could have sandwiches. Whilst deciding what to do next we asked for the lounge and we were shown a narrow "room" or corridor with four tables and four chairs - no comfortable seating. We decided to forfeit the deposit we had paid for three days stay and find another hotel. This was successful, but that is another tale.

Room Tip: Can't think of one.
Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Reargunner626

I am sorry to learn that you decided to check out early from Seckford Hall and on this occasion, Seckford wasn't to your liking.
Best wishes
Mark Suddes

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We came to dine at Seckford Hall and were asked to go to the bar to wait for our friends . The main bar is a large dark room with a brightly lit bar at the end. The only seating are a sofa and a couple of chairs on the left or a long line of high bar stools on the right. I presume they are keeping it empty so one can see the zebra striped carpet. Off to the far left is a dark little room and beyond that a sitting room so brightly lit you would require sun glasses to sit there. We fled this to a room they call the snug ( it isn't ) where the decor is equally as vulgar but at least you can sit down and see the menu.
The menu is varied and caters for all tastes. The wine list is interesting and reasonably priced. The dining room is a lovely, high ceilinged room with good sized tables and comfortable chairs. We enjoyed our meal apart from the over seasoned duck terrine and over priced scallops. The service was excellent until we reached the coffee. We had asked for it to be served with the dessert , it wasn't , and it took another half hour to arrive and it was wrong. However, we weren't in a hurry and they placated us with extra sweet meats so it wasn't a disaster. We enjoyed the meal very much and at £50 per head, including pre dinner drinks and service it was good value. We will come again for dinner but avoid the hideous bars.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review of your recent of 1530, our restaurant at Seckford Hall. It appears that you visited during the refurbishment of our existing bar which is now open to offer an alternative to the Champagne and Cocktail Bar. I agree the lighting in the East Wing Lounge and snug are incorrect which our contractors are working on to replace the light fittings.
Thank you for your comments in relation to the terrine and the scallops which have been relayed to the kitchen team. It is encouraging that you enjoyed your meal in the new restaurant environment.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Seckford Hall soon
With kind regards

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We were a party of 30 booked into a private dining room that was once the living quarters of the previous owners. The welcome we received was excellent with all the staff being very attentive and seemingly proud to show us the recent refurbishment.
Some of our party expressed the view that the hotel had lost some of its previous character however we had always previously been in the main restaurant an area that we discovered later had also undergone a refurbishment - not to everyone's approval but nevertheless still very attractive.
This was our 4th visit as a group and we return each year mainly due to the excellent food and attention to detail and once again we were not disappointed. The joint head chefs have apparently been at the hotel for a number of years and I must say we have never had any complaints regarding the quality of the food or indeed the service that has always been excellent. I will be returning with a party of 10 in November this time to the main restaurant when I will expect the usual high standards. The hotel has undergone a massive refurbishment and some problems along the way were to be expected - to be fair we did not encounter any of these .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your review of your function in our new Mulberry Suite. It is inevitable with any change that there will be a degree of reluctance to it however it is encouraging to read your balanced comments.
We look forward to welcoming you again in November!
With kind regards

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We came to Seckford hall to celebrate my sons birthday (3 adults,2 teenagers) as it has always been one of the local hotel/restaurants that has a warmth, friendliness and very comfortable surroundings that make it a very Special occasion. On walking through the main door the reception area had gone (due to the new refurbishment). We then passed by the lounge which in the past was a cosy, comfortable place to have a drink or coffee in but now has a Bar alongside one wall with a Zebra print carpet and bar stools. This looked very uninviting. As we had not yet been greeted by any staff we found the slightly odd place for the new reception which was unmanned . We carried on into the restaurant where we had to wait until a member of staff showed us our table. We had a table tucked slightly out of the way and ordered our food. No one came to take our drinks order. I asked a waiter and he said that that someone would be with us shortly. It was nearly another 5 mins before i asked another waiter if we could order drinks. Sure , she said "What would you Like?". the wine list would have been useful. The meal itself was ok but not fantastic but we all really disliked the fact that there was no crisp white Linen anymore, just black ash tables. The whole Ambience and special nature of this restaurant has been stripped away to a brasserie type feel, awful. My mother, who was with us, had booked Seckford Hall for her 80th birthday celebration close to Christmas this year and has promptly cancelled this opting for a better local choice. Its such a shame to see this wonderful venue change so dramatically and not for the best. The food was ok but there are much better restaurants with better food and ambience that unfortunately for Seckford hall will get our business in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tim B

It is a shame that you don't like the changes that we've made at Seckford Hall particularly as I think you visited Seckford whilst our existing bar was being refurbished. We now have two bars available; the Cocktail Bar which you mention as well as the Snug Bar which has recently reopened.
I do hope that you will revisit to experience the completed refurbishment programme

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Me and my partner had trawled the internet for weeks looking for somewhere luxurious to celebrate our anniversary. We had been recommended the hotel by someone who stayed for one night in July in a luxury suite with a spa bath... so, after hearing wonderful things, we thought this would be the place for us. We booked one of the Suites with the Spa Bath at £169 per night and had been looking forward to it...

We arrived on the 6th October (after enjoying a fabulous meal at Milsoms, Kesgrave beforehand)... the building itself as you approach looks beautiful and the grounds are lovely. We got our luggage and went through to reception (which wasn't very inviting) and took the key for suite 37 in the courtyard. The lady kindly 'pointed' to the building and we excitedly walked up....

There are stairs up to the door, (some of the steps are quite narrow and even I struggled with my bags) The door opens into a large lounge area, which at first was a little disappointing but we didn't think much of it... We then walked through the whole suite and looked at eachother... and both said we were not happy.

The bedroom - consisted of a small 4 poster bed in dark wood with horrible floral print curtains, an ugly discoloured hair dryer, a fire exit door locked up with no curtain to cover the window, a dressing table and a mirror which was very smeary, a chest of drawers with a small TV on top. My partner was the first to notice how unclean it was... he swiped his hand on the top of the chest of drawers where the TV sat and his hand was covered in dust. He then swiped his hand across the top of the four poster bed and tons of the stuff fell to the floor!

The bathroom - an old, and very horrible looking BLUE suite. The spa bath had a lovely crack and dent in the side of it (with dirt ingrained!), and a very old 'white', non-slip mat for the bath which was now brown/yellow, hanging over the side. This did not look 'luxurious' in any way. Even the toiletries were cheap and just sat on the ledge next to the loo!

We sat down and contemplated whether we could make the most of this... and then noticed the rips in the old creaky sofas, the stuffing sticking out of it - both sofas had rips. We then noticed a small area with a sink and cupboards with glasses etc.. with a half bottle of fairy liquid and a dirty rag under the sink to clean with, cupboard doors only just hanging onto the hinges. At this point we are trying to understand why they are charging £169 per night...

My partner went to reception to say we were unhappy with the room and a kind waiter showed him 2 other rooms - each no better than this one.

So, we took the heart-breaking decision to leave. At the end of the day, it just wasn’t worth the money, and it was not luxurious in any way. I understand that Seckford are completely refurbishing the hotel and it is a shame we didn't get to try the restaurant or bar as these did look lovely and the menus good. I am sure that these rooms will be improved in time, but it just seemed unreasonable to be charged so much for a room that was clearly very shabby and old. If this was my hotel, I would be ashamed to even sell this room at all.

Regardless of the fact that this room will be refurbed at some point, the sofas and spa bath should have been replaced, simply for the fact that they were in such a poor state in the first place.

In the end, we decided to stay at Milsoms, Kesgrave where we had been for our meal, and they gave us a great deal on a beautiful suite.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rach1092

I have investigated your comments and would welcome the opportunity to discuss them with you - perhaps you would be so kind as to contact me directly at the Hotel
I look forward to hearing from you
Mark Suddes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
#1 of 1 in Kesgrave

Been to Seckford Hall? Share your experiences!