“What has happened to Seckford Hall?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Seckford Hall

Seckford Hall
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
London, United Kingdom
“What has happened to Seckford Hall?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

My word what have they done to dear old Seckford Hall? Having arranged to meet up again with friends for a drink we were confronted with what can only be described as a bar more suited to the tv series “The only way is Essex” they appear to have glazed the wood panelling installed a log burner, I ask you a log burner in a property as old as Seckford Hall.
As for the carpet well it certainly belongs in a bedroom rather than a so called “Champagne Bar”. I had heard the owners had spent a fortune on the refurbishments, well get a proper designer in who knows about historic buildings and how to use the basic asset first and foremost. We were going to eat but having heard from other guests about the food we certainly were not going to waste our money………..how you miss the old owners, he might have been a character but the place had some style unlike the hotel now.

Room Tip: we did not stay
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank 600Reality

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We hadn`t stayed at Seckford Hall for four years , what a surprise we had , an excellent refurb had been carried out without destroying the charm and character of the place.
We took advantage of an overnight package deal which included a cream tea , dinner bed and breakfast , use of the pool , jacuzzi and gym.
The staff were friendly and and very helpful and had good local knowledge, which was very useful.
There was a comprehensive menue and the food quality, presentation and service was excellent.
Our room was light and airy, spotlessly clean and overlooked the beautiful rear gardens which were a pleasure to walk around.
We will certainly return.

Suffolk, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We went to the Seckford Hall Hotel for an evening meal. The menu choice was wide and the service friendly but low key. All three courses were spot on. We chose to have our coffee in the lounge and this was the only weak spot. The coffee was lukewarm, although the mints were rather good. A thoroughly enjoyable experience and we look forward to going again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Helston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed on an overnight package which included a cream tea on arrival and dinner bed and breakfast. The view of the hotel on arrival is quite stunning and I was able to park directly outside the hotel. The reception was a little hard to find, but too much signage would have spoilt your approach to this wonderful building. Being employed in the tourist industry, I was very concious of the importance of the visitor welcome I do agree with other visitors comments that the welcome from the receptionist was not very good, and I was not offered the services of a porter.

I stayed in Room 7 (Tudor Room) which was a feature bedroom with a four poster bed and wonderful bathroom. The room was simply stunning and fully met my expectations.

The restaurant was not what I had expected for this 16th Century building. It seemed to be too modern and lacked charm and atmosphere. Having said that I thought the dinner and the breakfast were first class and the staff were very attentive.

The swimming pool was located in a beautiful open beamed building and was a delight to use. The ladies changing area was a little tired.

Room Tip: For that special day the Tudor Room will meet all your expectations
1 Thank AceClassOne
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I have not visited the Seckford Hall since the new refurb, and we were both really excited about the prospect of spending a long weekend there commencing 20th March . When we arrived, we wondered where the reception area was located. This was not a big problem because we soon found the reception area which was a relief, but then received a lukewarm greeting from a young woman who had her head buried in the computer system. Once she had acknowledge that we were standing there to check in she said "I assume you have stayed here before" ! Why would one assume I asked myself ! She then explained where our room was located and that was about it ! When we use to check in, we use to receive a warm greeting ie: " did you have a good journey and would you like some assistance with your baggage to your room etc ." Well on this occasion, this warm greeting did not happen! Therefore, after a tiring journey we carried our own bags up the stairs to our room.
We were delighted with our room which was room 12 which was clean, lovely and indeed captured the beautiful views of the Seckford landscape. However, don't stay in this room on a Saturday night, because if there is a party going on, you will think you are at the Ministry of Sound !
The breakfast was lovely, the food in the main restaurant was average, and we thought the new refurb restaurant was not particularly special as it just felt like we were dinning at a franchise restaurant like Zizzis! However, the staff were very friendly and attentive (except for the receptionist who checked us in) as usual . Overall our weekend visit was pretty average, we would don't rush back in a hurry

Room Tip: Room 12 lovely but avoid at weekend due to noise
1 Thank mrandmrsp20
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had booked a 2-bedroomed suite for our stay. We were told this was situated in the 'Courtyard' at the time of booking. Although I realised this wasn't in the main house I didn't expect it to be a flat straight out of the 80's. The ensuite had a blue suite and the whole flat lacked character, was very tired and desperately in need of a clean. I don't expect to see insects splattered on the wall and what was sprayed all over the bathroom wall I shudder to think! The main bed appeared to be 2 singles pushed together with a topper across them. Unfortunately one bed was higher than the other so a good night's sleep was not happening.
We had our 6 year old son with us and at the time of booking I asked if the restaurant would open earlier than 7pm for us as I believed this was a service they offered but I was refused. However on our 2nd night the hotel provided this service to another family whose children were a good 5 years older than mine.
The food in the restaurant including breakfast was delicious and the only reason I have given a 3 for my review.
Very disappointed with the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Courtyard
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ajvix
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

My Son and Daughter-in-law took my husband and I to Seckford Hall for lunch on an offer they had seen in our local newspaper.
Having eaten at the hotel several times in the past I have to say I was VERY disappointed with the menu choice. It was very limited and there was NO consideration given to those with special dietary requirements My Son has a Gluten intolerance and when asked about an alternative dessert the waiter informed us that they didn't have anything without gluten in except ice cream..
I always thought Seckford was a special place to go as a treat but sadly in many ways I do not feel it is living up to its former high standards. I ask myself is this because of recent changes? There are very few places where special diets are not catered for but sadly Seckford Hall appears to be one of them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maggie G
MarkSuddes, Operations Director at Seckford Hall, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for visiting Seckford Hall to participate in our special lunch menu as recently advertised in the East Anglian Daily Times. This menu is a special priced menu for two people considerably different in pricing to our normal a la carte offer. Seckford Hall does cater for a range of specific dietry requests however due to the price point of this lunch menu, we ask that guests choose alternative dishes off the main menu if there is something not to their liking or because of dietry needs. You are right in your statement that Seckford Hall provides a special dining environment and would have been happy to provide alternatives off our main menu
I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you again
Kind regards
Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Crown at Woodbridge
The Crown at Woodbridge
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge
Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel

Been to Seckford Hall? Share your experiences!