“The character has gone”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
Felixstowe
“The character has gone”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We went to Seckford Hall for the first time since the refurbishment and words cannot describe how disappointed we were. The charming atmosphere of the restaurant and lounge has been completely destroyed by the refurbishment. The restaurant has a cold feel to it with a brown Lino floor and modern furniture which really did not go with the surroundings and as well as a cold feel it also was cold which did not help matters. When we reviewed the menu there was nothing any of us really fancied eating . All of the dishes serve with odd combinations. I settled on the roasted monkfish which was under done ,small and very little evidence that it had been roasted it came with spring onions and a curry sauce which just did not go.My husband had a quiche with boiled potatoes as he did not fancy anything else on the menu it was more like a pub meal. There was no sea food or white meat on offer. None of us had a starter as we could not see anything that we liked . The deserts also did not quite hit the mark . We had the baked strawberry cheesecake but the consistency wasn't quite right and as my daughter said it was not nearly as nice as the one served by Prezzos and there were less strawberries too.
We had coffee in the lounge which has been completely ruined the champagne bar was deserted and resembled something you would expect to find in a night club not in an Elizabethan manor house. There were three different age ranges in our party that evening and none us found any of the changes appealing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank FelixstoweSue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This used to be a charming family run hotel. Now the bar looks like a faux scottish/Virgin Atlantic lounge with real Singer sewing machine tables to sit at - really uncomfy and I have the bruises to prove this. The beautiful old lounge has some strange modern bar in it and possible the worse carpet I have ever seen and the 'library' has book patterned wallpaper but not a book in sight.
Food was good and the serving staff friendly and efficient in the restaurant. Bar staff served me a warm Campari and soda, there was no dry Martini and then vodka and tonic with no lemon.
I booked head and the confirmation email told me that I had been deducted £50 from my credit card. When we went to leave I was informed that this was a mistake and that the staff must be told in future not to send out these emails - it was left up to me to check my bank account.
I think the hotel is mainly interested in its wedding guests. Expensive for the level of room and service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My word what have they done to dear old Seckford Hall? Having arranged to meet up again with friends for a drink we were confronted with what can only be described as a bar more suited to the tv series “The only way is Essex” they appear to have glazed the wood panelling installed a log burner, I ask you a log burner in a property as old as Seckford Hall.
As for the carpet well it certainly belongs in a bedroom rather than a so called “Champagne Bar”. I had heard the owners had spent a fortune on the refurbishments, well get a proper designer in who knows about historic buildings and how to use the basic asset first and foremost. We were going to eat but having heard from other guests about the food we certainly were not going to waste our money………..how you miss the old owners, he might have been a character but the place had some style unlike the hotel now.

Room Tip: we did not stay
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank 600Reality
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We hadn`t stayed at Seckford Hall for four years , what a surprise we had , an excellent refurb had been carried out without destroying the charm and character of the place.
We took advantage of an overnight package deal which included a cream tea , dinner bed and breakfast , use of the pool , jacuzzi and gym.
The staff were friendly and and very helpful and had good local knowledge, which was very useful.
There was a comprehensive menue and the food quality, presentation and service was excellent.
Our room was light and airy, spotlessly clean and overlooked the beautiful rear gardens which were a pleasure to walk around.
We will certainly return.

Suffolk, UK
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We went to the Seckford Hall Hotel for an evening meal. The menu choice was wide and the service friendly but low key. All three courses were spot on. We chose to have our coffee in the lounge and this was the only weak spot. The coffee was lukewarm, although the mints were rather good. A thoroughly enjoyable experience and we look forward to going again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Helston
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed on an overnight package which included a cream tea on arrival and dinner bed and breakfast. The view of the hotel on arrival is quite stunning and I was able to park directly outside the hotel. The reception was a little hard to find, but too much signage would have spoilt your approach to this wonderful building. Being employed in the tourist industry, I was very concious of the importance of the visitor welcome I do agree with other visitors comments that the welcome from the receptionist was not very good, and I was not offered the services of a porter.

I stayed in Room 7 (Tudor Room) which was a feature bedroom with a four poster bed and wonderful bathroom. The room was simply stunning and fully met my expectations.

The restaurant was not what I had expected for this 16th Century building. It seemed to be too modern and lacked charm and atmosphere. Having said that I thought the dinner and the breakfast were first class and the staff were very attentive.

The swimming pool was located in a beautiful open beamed building and was a delight to use. The ladies changing area was a little tired.

Room Tip: For that special day the Tudor Room will meet all your expectations
1 Thank AceClassOne
london
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I have not visited the Seckford Hall since the new refurb, and we were both really excited about the prospect of spending a long weekend there commencing 20th March . When we arrived, we wondered where the reception area was located. This was not a big problem because we soon found the reception area which was a relief, but then received a lukewarm greeting from a young woman who had her head buried in the computer system. Once she had acknowledge that we were standing there to check in she said "I assume you have stayed here before" ! Why would one assume I asked myself ! She then explained where our room was located and that was about it ! When we use to check in, we use to receive a warm greeting ie: " did you have a good journey and would you like some assistance with your baggage to your room etc ." Well on this occasion, this warm greeting did not happen! Therefore, after a tiring journey we carried our own bags up the stairs to our room.
We were delighted with our room which was room 12 which was clean, lovely and indeed captured the beautiful views of the Seckford landscape. However, don't stay in this room on a Saturday night, because if there is a party going on, you will think you are at the Ministry of Sound !
The breakfast was lovely, the food in the main restaurant was average, and we thought the new refurb restaurant was not particularly special as it just felt like we were dinning at a franchise restaurant like Zizzis! However, the staff were very friendly and attentive (except for the receptionist who checked us in) as usual . Overall our weekend visit was pretty average, we would don't rush back in a hurry

Room Tip: Room 12 lovely but avoid at weekend due to noise
1 Thank mrandmrsp20
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Crown at Woodbridge
The Crown at Woodbridge
#3 of 4 in Woodbridge
Muthu Besltead Brook Hotel

Been to Seckford Hall? Share your experiences!