“Dinner in the 1530 Restaurant......”
Review of Seckford Hall

Seckford Hall
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Last night was my first visit to this hotel and all I can say is it's great - when someone get's things right they deserve a mention!

The staff, the food and the ambiance were brilliant. My steak was cooked to perfection and my husbands monkfish was superb, as for the desserts they were totally different to anything I have ever eaten before - deep fried coconut ice cream, well worth a try.

Everywhere I looked, there was something else to catch my eye, whether it was the purple seating, the wonderful wood panelling or the zebra carpet - old meets new and done with taste.

Obviously I can't comment about the rooms etc., as we didn't stay...but we will definitely be going back, soon!

1  Thank Jane562013

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Seckford hall is not perfect - but nearly. Any little things not exactly are outwayed by the wonderful staff. From chambermaid to Restaurant. Sue in the Bar was delightful-charming and so efficient.
Food super.Rooms good balance of Four Poster and wi fi! Look out for the hidden pocket for lover letters. Only one thing i would have changed - a blackout blind for room 5!We will go back.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

When we arrived the bedroom was cold and the water barely lukewarm. We had to ask for help twice and were still not sure that the problem was solved. However we did eventually get hot water and heating. We had a suite in the courthouse next to the leisure centre. The suite was well furnished with a huge comfortable bed and a well equipped modern bathroom. When booking I had been told there was a kitchen but this turned out to be a sink in the corner of the sitting room with the usual kettle and coffee selection plus a bit of cutlery and a couple of plates.

We went for a meal in the bar but the bar food wasn't available, only the same menu as the restaurant. We were a bit surprised because the receptionist had told us 3 hours earlier that bar food was availalble. No matter, we chose from the menu and the food was excellent. Full marks to the bar staff who served drinks and looked after us (and everyone else) very well.

Breakfast was good apart from some dodgy cutlery on the first morning and the room being on the chilly side. There is no doubt that the gardens and grounds are stunning and there is plenty of parking available. A word of warning, overheard from another guest, the 4 poster beds are on the small side. We did get a small reduction because of the heating problems but this was only after requesting it. The manager explained the problem and we were happy that the problem was resolved. The reduction was rather begrudgingly granted. A similar problem at a Radisson hotel resulted in a 50% reduction without even requesting it. Seckford Hall charges premium rates but doesn't offer premium service.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Took my husband here as a birthday treat over the May bank holiday weekend. Stayed three night in their wheelchair accessible suite room 34 in the stable block by far the best accessible room we have stayed in. Big lounge area able to recharge electric wheelchair, huge bedroom and again huge wet room bathroom it was perfect. But what they didn't tell me on booking was there is a very steep slope down from the stable block to the main hotel building which is also gravely and very uneven. As a women I did try but could not push my husband in his manuel wheelchair up this slope and of course given the nature of the building we could not take a big 4/4 electric chair in. Staff are helpful, food is good but not brilliant for a 4 star ,had cold poached eggs which I should have sent back fruit salad was out of a tin and if your veggie like me you will struggle. The menu does not change on a daily basis nor are there specials we stay in a lot of hotels and have had far better. Its a great shame Woodbridge is a lovely place but we will not be staying there again.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We really enjoyed staying here - it's a stunning building in lovely surroundings and the staff were really welcoming and friendly. The breakfasts were plentiful and delicious - they had loads of different options. We had dinner in the restaurant one night too and it was excellent. Really good food and beautifully presented.

We had a standard double room in the main hotel which was showing a few signs of wear and tear but was very clean and tastefully decorated.

The town of Woodbridge is very nice, with some great shops and loads of different places to eat.

Unfortunately our stay ended on a bit of a sour note - when we checked out and I was given the bill it was a lot higher than I expected. When I first made the booking I had received an email saying a £50 deposit had been taken out of my bank account. However this hadn't been taken off the bill. I asked the receptionist about it and she said the email was wrong, which meant it was left to me to check my bank statement to make sure. Then I realised I'd been charged for an extra two breakfasts plus an extra £54 bottle of champagne! I didn't like to be seen to be fussing over the bill, especially as I was treating my husband for our first anniversary, but I'd been over-charged by almost £80! It was all a bit awkward, and feeling like the hotel had tried to rip me off wasn't a very nice end to our mini-break.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel, but if you do stay here, make sure you check your bill!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Searched online for nice hotel for last minute trip away and liked the look of this hotel. Peeked at menu and was sold. When you turn into the driveway you are blown away by the beauty of the property. Booked a table for dinner, initially wasn't able to get a booking for the restaurant but when we arrived space had been found, we had chosen to eat late, the staff were brilliant, faultless service, even brought a cover for hubbies meal whilst he popped to the loo, without asking and whisked it away when he returned. The menu was magnificent, you can view on line and I am sure that if you cannot find anything to your taste from its extensive selection a prior request to the kitchen could help??our only problem was choosing which of the delicious dishes to choose. The flooring in the restaurant is fine, in keeping and appropriately easy to clean for the area. Wine list fairly priced. We booked a suite, room 34, spacious, warm clean and comfortable with a huge bed and walk in wet room. Decor could do with updating but that is a preference not necessatity, my understanding, following a lovely guided tour of main hotel rooms following day is that there is a rolling programme on going, tip if you want freshly decorate and excellent views ask when booking there are different styles to choose from. We asked if could have late check out, again no problem. Will definitely go back. Outside beautiful bluebells and wisteria added to the beauty of the surroundings. Thank you to all the staff it was great to see customer service is alive and thriving in this gorgeous haven

1  Thank CambridgePudding
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had one night stay and enjoyed a superb meal in the restaurant. The external rooms are a little tired but very good value and the suites are large.

Woodbridge has many places for eating out and we can recommend The Riverside.

Room Tip: Aske for a room in the main building