“excellent experience”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
London, United Kingdom
“excellent experience”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Afternoon tea an absolute delight. Would thoroughly recommend this venue. The staff prepared a full afternoon tea separately for my daughter with severe food allergies . I cannot fault the food or service and the restaurant and gardens are beautiful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank melwillis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Over the many years & many changes we have seen, we have visited & stayed at Seckford Hall many times & I have never written a review till now...
My husband surprised me for my Birthday Celebration meal on August 2nd & we dined in The 1530 Restaurant.
Both of our Three-Course meals were superb & we enjoyed a bottle of Taittinger- this followed by Coffees in the lounge with petit fours- Perfect
( I recommend The Tasting plate Desert)
We will be back just like always!!!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Frott
Brighton
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I have just spent three days here as a family getaway for 17. The room I had was lovely, clean and bright. Shame wrongly discovered the blind on the third night to stop the light waking us up but that was our mistake! The grounds are lovely as far as the eye can see but impossible to do a longer walk as no-one is maintaining the areas beyond the lake and I didn't want to wade through stinging nettles. There was a wedding there on our second night which sort of took over the hotel but not too badly. However the vomit on the lawn in the morning wasn't great. I mentioned it to a cleaner but it was still there that night. Disgusting! We ate in the restaurant for breakfast (mainly good but expensive) and dinner. I was impressed that the chef managed to feed all 17 of us at the same time but there were so many mistakes from over-cooked steak, to bacon In the beans that my mum had asked to not have to impossibly slow ordering at times. We thought the staff were poorly trained and clearly left to their own devices. I didn't see anyone all weekend who looked like they were managing the place. Please get your act together. You can't rely on reputation and pretty buildings forever!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank VickiLBrighton
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here on a package deal . Had a delicious cream tea in the afternoon, and a three course evening meal . We stayed in a lovely refurbished room which was modern but still traditional overlooking the grounds . The meal was first class , overall it was a very enjoyable stay and we would definately go back .,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank john190725
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

we were in a big group of 17 and we stayed for 3 days, the rooms and the cleanliness of them was very good, nothing to complain about that.

the hotel itself was nice but somewhat disappointing. the gym is just embarrassing, it has like 5 pieces of 90s equipment and a few free weights. no one really used it and to be honest it may as well of not been there.
then there is the pool. The pool was fine just a standard long one but with very nice interior decor. however the hot tub was broken which was very disappointing as the pool got a bit boring after a while.
the rest of the grounds were actually very nice with old style decor which was very pleasant outside was beautiful except from the lake which was a bit dirty.

now to the restaurant. first of all the food. i am a vegetarian so for me there was only 2 choices of main to eat for dinner, this is usually fine however on the first night i had the Gnocchi which was disappointing as it had a huge over powering aniseed taste to it as well as poorly prepared veg. the next night i had the pasta with ratatouille which was also disappointing. the ratatouille was basically 90% aubergine and courgette in huge lumps with a standard tomatoes sauce so i was not impressed. the desserts were ok but not amazing, then there was the breakfast which was ok as you had like pastries and cereal buffet on one of the tables then you can order your own cooked food from the kitchen, i had the omelette the first evening which was actually very good so i thought i would try the full English with boiled egg. my cousin did the same and when it arrived the yolk was solid hard (not what a egg at breakfast should be like) so we send it back and when they replaced it sometime after it was closer to raw that to how it should be so disappointment there.

now to the service in the restaurant. i want to start by saying most of the staff were very friendly and pleasant however for the prices of the place the service was awful. the staff clearly lacked some of the basics of service, i have been serving for a few years now at a restaurant and these guys looked to me like it was there 3rd week. for example, it was almost impossible to get their attention unless they were already at our table. i ordered a drink and had to ask for it 3 times. they just didn’t really seem like they knew how to operate a restaurant (e.g multitasking, checking for drinks, communicating with each other so mistakes don’t happen and they don’t have to ask us questions). but the worst part for me was when i found some plastic in my gnocchi! i told one of the female waitresses and all she said was "I’m sorry about that". I’m not the sort of person who shouts and makes a scene as i know what its like to serve people however if one of my customers and showed this to me i would of been livid with the kitchen and comped the whole meal. i could of seriously choked on it and all she said was im sorry about that the chef said it was some cling film.
not good enough.
I’m sure management has certain standards they want to keep, and i suggest they actually watch how there staff go about doing things. its lucky that it turned up in my food as if it had been in another member of my parties then it would of been a completely different story, the staff were nice and friendly enough it’s just clear that they need more training.
all in all it was a nice stay but i felt the service and some of the food just wasn't up to scratch, i know big parties are harder to take care of but you guys should of coped. also the way that the piece of plastic in my food was dealt with was ridiculous. in my restaurant i would of been mortified and done so much more about it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mrstubbylol
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

visited Seckford Hall for 3rd or 4th time, just a 1xnight stay, dinner bed & breakfast deal to get a short break for my wife's birthday.
nostalgic memories; our first stay there was as a newly together couple on our first new years eve together some 8.5 years ago. have returned twice since.

at least 4 years since our last visit. fundamentals unchanged, traditional, slightly oldie worldy, lots of wood, oak panelling, lovely grounds, solid good service (in the main) and the room much refurbed compared with our last stay. water pressure for the shower rather poor, otherwise well decorated and maintained, clean and everything worked. TV perhaps a little small, lovely balcony overlooking rear grounds. only real room negative was the safe; most complex device we have ever come across with contradictary and conflicting instructions. never experienced anything like it, but hey ho.
dinner was excellent, well served and presented. service in the garden both for a late afternoon apres swim drink, and then later for a pre dinner cocktail was very poor. likewise, bar service not great after dinner.
that said, breakfast was excellent (as was the service), all the usual offerings but well done and nicely cooked despite slightly predictable.
the whole service thing..........yet again it's almost an attitude rather than something one can definitively report. realtive disinterest and almost "can't be bothered". the older more established staff were fine, but several younger members of the team who we believe had not been there too long were somewhat indifferent.
overall, lovely 24 hrs away, well looked after in lovely surroundings.
would recommend

Room Tip: ensure room in "refurbed " area